Maybe sometimes live from the Summit - Miami to New York

abbydancer2003

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from abbydancer! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

abbydancer2003 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Well, it finally happened that two close together cruises means I'll be finishing up one belated live thread, while starting the next.  Those of you following on the Infinity Around the Horn - I really thought I'd finish.  What I did not count on was my mom, who's been in a rehab center for a broken bone since February, going south on us and ending up in the ICU.  (She's slowly improving).  Anyway, we're heading out tomorrow for the Summit, so I'll do that while finishing Infinity.

Anyway, here I go ...

This is the cruise that will take the Summit from her winter home in Miami, to her summer home in New Jersey.  I found it after a Millennium Pacific coastal got canceled, and I was looking for something on a revolutionized S class.  We just got off Infinity, which is an unrevolutionized ship, and I wanted Glen (DH) to experience the difference.  I saw this, and several things appealed.  First, it was a 10 day Caribbean cruise with 6 sea days.  That's because it has to get from Miami to New York, and has to visit the Dutch Antilles (ABCs) to meet legal requirements. Second, I like those ports, and third, as mentioned above, it's a revolutionized M class.  Lastly, and best of all, it goes to New York, where my sister lives.  So all good?  

Not quite.  My mom, who was supposed to go home from rehab after 2.5 months on Tuesday, developed breathing issues on Monday.  They took her to the emergency room, where they determined she had pneumonia.  So, they admitted her.  On Wednesday, they were moved her to the ICU, because her breathing became very very difficult.  We had a discussion about what to do about intubation (ventilator).  She has a DNR and Do Not Intubate order, and they wanted to know whether to honor.  Wednesday night she thought she was dying.  So we were discussing cancelling, but we generally have medical but not cancellation insurance.  My sister decided come out Thursday instead of next Sunday.

By Thursday (yesterday) she was on oxygen and getting treatments to clear out her lungs and looked generally better.  So last night, I made a second reservation home.  Originally we were visiting my sister for a couple of weeks, and now I have that reservation and one home the day of the cruise.

Today she continues to improve, and told my sister we should go on our trip.  So we're on,

We leave tomorrow morning.  The cruise is on Wednesday, but we're flying to Palm Beach to spend a few days with our game friends from the Silhouette TA last October.  While on that, they booked this cruise and we were all delighted that we'd sail together again.  When discussing excursions on the phone, they invited us to visit them pre cruise.  We leave tomorrow AM.

At 7am we'll drive over to my mom's house, and my sister will take us to the airport.  We're just finishing packing and will go drop food off with my sister, have dinner, and go to bed early.    I'll touch base again tomorrow.  Since this is a shorter cruise, maybe I'll be more caught up.

Those following Infinity, I will finish.

• Like 4

Wish you a great sailing!!. Just keep in mind the Summit is not a S-class ship. It is in great condition but is the same class as the Infinity. 

P.S. Our oldest granddaughter's name is Abby and she is a great dancer! 😍

Edited by Loracpin2
Addition

29 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Wish you a great sailing!!. Just keep in mind the Summit is not a S-class ship. It is in great condition but is the same class as the Infinity. 

P.S. Our oldest granddaughter's name is Abby and she is a great dancer! 😍

Thanks.   Both Summit and Infinity are M class ships.  I've been on both, Glen's only been on Infinity.

• Like 1

We will be joining you on the Summit for the repo. We happened to be on the first cruise after the update and three time since then. Last June we were back for the Bermuda/Charleston cruise and the Oceanview had the beginning of the decline in previous quality. Reports are more positive about the situation!

We’re also doing the Summit in August for the Greenland/Iceland cruise from Bayonne. 

See you on the ship,

Hal - 9164

Summit Day -4. Travel day

Today, we head to Palm Beach.  We’ll stay with our friends Arie and Cheryl for a few days and then we’ll all go to the ship on Wednesday.  We’re flying American Airlines, because I still have some credit left over from a trip I cancelled last year.  We’d already booked the day before the cruise to Miami, but when Arie suggested we visit, we switched to PBI, because that’s near them and they can pick us up.  Because coming from the west coast generally means a late night arrival, we have a hotel for the night and they’ll collect us tomorrow morning.

There are two Marriott hotels near the airport - a Courtyard and a full service Marriott.  I originally want to the Marriott with points, but it wasn’t available, so I booked the Courtyard. However, a couple of days later the Marriott became available.  I’ll probably get breakfast.  We’ll see.

So today started early.  We had a 10 am flight, so want to be at the airport around 8.  Our original plan was to leave a car at an off airport lot my sister who was supposed arrive tomorrow (Sunday) night..  However, she came on Thursday because my mom requested it.  We picked her up Thursday night, but she had to take us this morning.   

We arrived at mom’s house at about 7:35 - plan was Glen would drive his car to the airport, we’d go and Beth would drive home.  So far, so good.  However, there was a major accident on the freeway, and we ended up on surface streets.  We got to the airport about 15 minutes later than we wanted.  American Airlines checkin was confusing, but after all was said and done 15 minutes later we were looking for the Admiral’s Club to use our purchased day passes.  

We found it, spent some time there, and then at 9:20 headed to the gate.  It was about boarding time, but there was no plane.  They said it was coming from the hanger.  I did wonder why they waited so long, but I guess the part we weren’t there for was that it was in the hanger for a maintenance issue.  

They first slipped the time to 10:30 so we waited at the gate.  When they slipped it to 11, we went back to the lounge.  They seemed to be aware of what was happening and said they’d announce when it was boarding.  

I asked the agent at the lounge what we could do if we missed the connection, since by this.   time I’d had two texts from American telling me I might.  We agreed I probably had a least another hour of wiggle room on it, but worst case we could go to Charlotte and then get to PBI at 9:30 tomorrow AM.

As I was talking to her they announced boarding and that the flight would leave at 12, which was 2 hours late, but we had a 3.5 hour connection so that was fine.  We headed back to the gate, and got in line and waited.  Apparently they filled the jetway and then discovered an issue with the door.  I waited about 10 minutes, and then went to the restroom.  When I got back, the line was moving.  

The flight left at 12, we got in at 5 and our next flight was at roughly 7.  So all was well with us.  I’m pretty sure the guy ahead of me ask about mis connections did miss his 5pm flight to Barcelona.  I hope he gets where he was going.

Nothing interesting about the second flight other than what they called “dinner” was more like a snack - either cauliflower lasagna or a charcuterie plate.  There was supposed to be a grain bowl, but they didn’t offer that.

We landed on time, our luggage came pretty quickly and it took a little while to find the hotel shuttle area, but once we did, the shuttle came with a very friendly driver.  We did have to wait for a group of Jet Blue crew for a few minutes.  It’ wasn’t a long way to the hotel and when we got her we found out we were upgraded to a suite.  

It’s a nice room and now we’re off to bed to start this next adventure. 

And mom is still improving!

• Like 5

HI,

Quick update - We're in a AS - aqua sky suite.  When I booked, there were only a few Sky Suites available, and the price of the AS was the same as the S1, so we booked it.  

I'll try to remember to ask about staff leaving.

Thanks,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, abbydancer said:

HI,

Quick update - We're in a AS - aqua sky suite.  When I booked, there were only a few Sky Suites available, and the price of the AS was the same as the S1, so we booked it.  

I'll try to remember to ask about staff leaving.

Thanks,

So excited to hear about it...we are in the same!. Wishing you a fabulous voyage!

Summit Day -3  Palm Beach and Stuart

The plan for today is that our friends will pick us up around 11, so we set the alarm for 9:00 to get up intimate for breakfast.  We did get up and and got dressed and packed up by 10.

First stop was the lobby to get a breakfast voucher.  That didn’t take long, and it said it was good for continental breakfast.  We went to the restaurant and it was kind of confusing as there was a host stand but no one there.  A guy at the coffee bar/bar told us to go to the back of the restraint for breakfast.  

We went back and there seemed to be no-one there.  We did see a server talking to a guy and a gentleman standing at what appeared to be the busing station.  So we asked him and he said to sit anywhere.  So we sat at the restaurant edge of the bar area.  The server soon came by, gave us a menu and said we could order anything.  So we both had a.standard “American” bacon and eggs breakfast.

As we were finishing up, I got a call from my friend Arie that they were on their way to get us.  Through What’sapp, he sent me his Waze routing so I could follow him in real time.

They collected us just after 11.  After hello hugs we headed north to their home to drop the luggage.  They do have a spare bedroom and bathroom and that’s where we’ll be until Wednesday morning.

It took about 1/2 hour to get to Stuart Florida, which is where they live.  Arie pointed out it was exit 101 on the highway, so 100 miles north of Miami.  No wonder we have an 8:30 pickup for our transfer to the port on Wednesday.

After being shown around and getting settled, we headed to downtown Stuart.  We found parking after a few minutes, and wandered around a soon to close (for the week, not for good) farmers market.  It was mostly a craft type market in a park, but very nice.  

We then walked along the water.  In the park, there were fun things painted along the sidewalk.

image.jpeg.11176ba15acbb297e5cdd94f417542ac.jpeg

There were also signs with ideas for parents and children. 

After the park we walked along the waterfront to the dock.  There’s a boat there.

image.jpeg.f2cf50fb17b227e28395a0e61e206ff1.jpeg

I’m not sure what it’s doing there.

The view is nice too

image.jpeg.09617b48e23826fd858f0c10da34f543.jpeg

After waking along the downtown street, which looks pretty much like any small city shop lined downtown, we got in the car.

Next stop was a beach on Hutchenson Island, where we stopped for smoothies for others, and a coke for me.  It was hot and we had a table in the shade, so that was nice.

We then tried to go to another beach, but that was closed so we headed back to their house, and Cheryl and Arie made dinner - steak and lamb on the grill and a salad.  

After dinner we played a game of Splendor, which they got after we taught them on the Transatlantic last fall.  

After that, we called it a night.  Tomorrow we’ll try to go to a State Park.

• Like 1

Summit Day  - 2  Monday 1

Today is a tourist day for us with Arie and Cheryl.  Our plan was to visit Johnathan Dickenson State Park, near Hob e Sound, fairly near Stuart.  There you can kayak, hike, fish, etc, etc.  It also is the boat launch for the Trapper Nelson Historic District.  The park has a river, the Loxahatchee.  You go to the Trapper Nelson site down the river.

Our first thought was to do that in the afternoon, but the weather wasn’t great.  So Arie called, and apparently the only boat they are guaranteeing is the 11 am boat. 

At about 8:30 I surfaced and Cheryl was making apple pancakes and chicken apple sausage.  Glen and Arie were apparently running an errand for her.  About 9?30 they returned, and Arie mentioned he’d called the park and the only boat that was going was the 11am one.  So we quickly ate breakfast, and headed to the park.

We arrived in plenty of time and bought tickets for the boat ride.  While waiting, we met the other two ladies doing the tour.  

At 11, we boarded the boat and headed along the river.

image.jpeg.c3904a15978885d79b5ff205e9b10cc6.jpeg

After about 20 minutes we arrived at the Trapper Nelson site and were met by our volunteer guide.  We learned that TN had purchased the land and trapped beaver and other game on it and then turned the site into a tourist attraction called a Zoo and Jungle Garden.  

We looked at various things there - former animal cages (local animals only - alligators and small game), and various structures.

They also have a jeep that was used to go to town, restored from a car shop I think.

image.jpeg.083f01fc23bafbbdb7e69470aef36588.jpeg

And one of the buildings that’s still there.  This was, I think a kitchen.  They used propane.

image.jpeg.f54bc4ce263217c28f44f3e7cc16c11b.jpeg

The tour ran about an hour, and then it was back on the boat.  On both ways we saw jumping fish, but it was too hard to get a picture.  But here’s a shot of the river.  Sky looks pretty good, but …

image.jpeg.06a77e6522d6ffa84d49765bb09bafab.jpeg

Originally we were going to kayak, but it’s apparently supposed to rain, so we headed out.  Next stop in the park was the Hobe Mountain tower, a small view tower built on top of the highest point in South Florida.  

image.jpeg.3d08c0b9bc911e61a0d71787f0618311.jpeg

As you can read there are views of the waterway, ocean and park.  It was indeed a nice view.

image.jpeg.9bb82d21ac0a92721469c74893120427.jpeg

That’s the ocean in the distance and the walkway to the tower.

And a view from the other side of the tower.

image.jpeg.2803aaf1222abb8ebfaa28de59233950.jpeg

After that, we decided that we’d head back to A&C and have the leftovers from last night for lunch.

Following that, we played our first of many Catan games.  Arie had a couple of new things to add to the game, which made it a little more interesting.

At around 5:30 we headed out for dinner.  First stop was a local chain clothing store, sort of like Kohls for shorts.  Then we went to one of the seafood restaurants along the water called Shrimpers.  It was pretty good.  I had a ground steak, with onions and mushrooms.

After dinner, back to their house.  We watched a little bit of The Fellowship of the Ring, and called it a night.  I ended up spending about an hour on the phone with my sister, because apparently my mom stopped improving, and decided on Comfort, or Pallative care.  We worked out that we agreed that was the best thing for her, and there’s no timeline, so we don’t need to go home. (My mom would have felt very guilty if we’d cancelled.

After that, bed.  Tomorrow is the get ready for cruise day.

• Like 1

@abbydancer  We are currently on Millennium and I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the Revolutionized ship.  We were no successful in our bid for an Aqua Class Sky Suite so are in a regular Sky Suite.  When we booked ours in December 2021 there were only two Sky Suits available and we took the lesser of two evils.  

I’ve got a live review going and have a lot of pictures of the room posted there. 

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@abbydancer  We are currently on Millennium and I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the Revolutionized ship.  We were no successful in our bid for an Aqua Class Sky Suite so are in a regular Sky Suite.  When we booked ours in December 2021 there were only two Sky Suits available and we took the lesser of two evils.  

I’ve got a live review going and have a lot of pictures of the room posted there. 

Thanks, but the Summit is also revolutionized, sundeck and all.  Just curious, does the elevator to the sundeck work?  I ran into some friends from my last cruise on the ship, and she needs the elevator, and it no longer works.

5 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Thanks, but the Summit is also revolutionized, sundeck and all.  Just curious, does the elevator to the sundeck work?  I ran into some friends from my last cruise on the ship, and she needs the elevator, and it no longer works.

I do not know if it does or not.  We are on an excursion all day tomorrow but I will make a point to check it out the next chance I get.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, abbydancer said:

I just checked and the HC elevator for the Retreat Sundeck does not appear to be working. 

I went to Deck 11, the elevator was at that level and pushing the ‘up’ button did not result in the doors opening.  The next time I am on the sundeck I will see if it works from that level. 

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I just checked and the HC elevator for the Retreat Sundeck does not appear to be working. 

I went to Deck 11, the elevator was at that level and pushing the ‘up’ button did not result in the doors opening.  The next time I am on the sundeck I will see if it works from that level. 

Thanks.  It might require staff intervention or something.  Not sure.  Thanks, though for checking.

16 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Abby, have your friend speak to Conner and Connie in the Retreat. Mum and I were on Summit earlier this month and it didn’t work. I didn’t say much but they could see mum wouldn’t manage the stairs and were very apologetic and discussed how she wasn’t getting the full Retreat experience. 
Wendy