Plastic water bottle prohibition for boarding

ExArkie

A search failed to bring up the answer to my specific question. The information from HAL says that plastic water bottles are not allowed. On trips of any kind, I always carry a refillable plastic water bottle, which I believe is polypropylene (have to find the original document to confirm). Am I correct in assuming their ban is for the PET disposable bottles and not those designed as refillable? 

Knowing that there are some fairly expensive refillable bottles made of various plastics, it seemed likely that their ban extended to them, but I learned a while back that some companies have policies that are most assuredly stupid…okay, call them “misguided.”

You are correct. The ones meant to be reusable are ok but the disposable ones are not. I tried to bring an empty Dasani bottle on a cruise last fall and was told to throw it away by security. I bought a hard plastic reusable one on board and have had no problems with that one. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

You are correct. The ones meant to be reusable are ok but the disposable ones are not. I tried to bring an empty Dasani bottle on a cruise last fall and was told to throw it away by security. I bought a hard plastic reusable one on board and have had no problems with that one. 

That’s different.  I have always been allowed to bring aboard the single open water bottle in my daypack.  Try bringing one that is actively being used instead.   

In the two cruises we have been on since they instituted this policy, we brought disposable plastic bottles on and off the ship at every port with no problems.  So either they are only selectively enforcing this policy or it is more intended to prevent someone from bringing a case of plastic water bottles aboard.

• Like 1

Last year I used refillable insulated plastic water bottles on and off the ship. The Ship's store even sold logo HAL plastic bottles. The policy only bans disposable one time use plastic water bottles. The purified water provided in your cabin will be in a aluminum can, unless you buy the one liter glass premium bottled water for the cabin, like we did.

It seems they are selective in what is allowed.  My son brought on a case of soda pop & added to his stash in ports with no problem bringing them on.  He also brought on several plastic bottles of liquid creamer, never had an issue with those either.  But try to bring on a bottle of water... silly really.  On Carnival, I always assumed it was because people were sneaking on liquor in their plastic pop or water containers- but I doubt HAL has this problem as much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

My son brought on a case of soda pop & added to his stash in ports with no problem bringing them on.  He also brought on several plastic bottles of liquid creamer, never had an issue with those either

Was the soda in cans or plastic bottles? The issue with plastic water bottles is that when empty and left on out on the decks they often blow overboard. I doubt the plastic coffee bottles will be left on the deck when empty. The cruise industry is doing its best to limit the amount of plastic that ends up in the ocean. Plastic water bottles and straws are the biggest culprits or so I have heard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Was the soda in cans or plastic bottles? The issue with plastic water bottles is that when empty and left on out on the decks they often blow overboard. I doubt the plastic coffee bottles will be left on the deck when empty. The cruise industry is doing its best to limit the amount of plastic that ends up in the ocean. Plastic water bottles and straws are the biggest culprits or so I have heard.

The soda was in cans, the creamer in plastic.  I would hope people would be more responsible with junk entering the ocean, but we are an irresponsible society as a whole.  I understand why they limit plastic, just wish we'd be more careful as humans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

The soda was in cans, the creamer in plastic. 

I would bet that if the soda brought on board was in plastic bottles, they would have not let them go through security.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That’s different.  I have always been allowed to bring aboard the single open water bottle in my daypack.  Try bringing one that is actively being used instead.   

I was "encouraged" to empty my open, filled, water bottle onboard.  I was told they couldn't confirm that it actually had water in it.  

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

I was "encouraged" to empty my open, filled, water bottle onboard.  I was told they couldn't confirm that it actually had water in it.  

I am thinking it may be because the days I boarded were hot and there may have been some leniency in allowing people to sip their water. I also only take longer voyages and have always noticed greater leniency on voyages over 2 weeks long

• Like 1

Tacking on to this question, the website says:

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

does this mean I can bring on flavoured sparkling water? For instance, a 12 pack of Bubly/La Croix or something similar?

Yes, that is what their web site says, but they usually allow soda in cans.  My son felt like it was worth losing the 12 pack of soda to try bringing it on.  They allowed it & allowed another 12 pk to be brought on at a port.  So everyone needs to realize they can deny you bringing it on & might start enforcing it.

My last 3 cruises I brought an empty plastic bottle and refilled it.  Never a problem.  It was a Lipton Iced tea bottle.   Took this bottle full on shore excursions and kept refilled by the bedside.  This was brought on the ship empty.   I refilled from the tap daily and took the bottle home with me. No one tested or was concerned if this was a PET bottle.  (may have been??)  Bring whatever you choose on board.. if it is thrown away the gift shop has alternatives..  and yes..  way more expensive.

18 hours ago, ExArkie said:

A search failed to bring up the answer to my specific question. The information from HAL says that plastic water bottles are not allowed. On trips of any kind, I always carry a refillable plastic water bottle, which I believe is polypropylene (have to find the original document to confirm). Am I correct in assuming their ban is for the PET disposable bottles and not those designed as refillable? 

Knowing that there are some fairly expensive refillable bottles made of various plastics, it seemed likely that their ban extended to them, but I learned a while back that some companies have policies that are most assuredly stupid…okay, call them “misguided.”

You are correct.

19 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Interesting. Several years back security at Cano stopped me, asked me what was in my water bottle and shook it. I later learned here that booze makes small bubbles when shook.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

My last 3 cruises I brought an empty plastic bottle and refilled it.  Never a problem.  It was a Lipton Iced tea bottle.   Took this bottle full on shore excursions and kept refilled by the bedside.  This was brought on the ship empty.   I refilled from the tap daily and took the bottle home with me. No one tested or was concerned if this was a PET bottle.  (may have been??)  Bring whatever you choose on board.. if it is thrown away the gift shop has alternatives..  and yes..  way more expensive.

I’ve had no issues either.  I’m prepared to lose it and I take it with me.  When there are pictures of crew carrying on huge plastic water bottles it shouldn’t be an issue to bring one.  I’m not talking dozens.

I suspect some security personnel are more strict than others like one that said you couldn’t bring on flowers yet others did in the same port.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

• 2 months later...

I'm just looking to bring flavored liquid coffee creamer since it's not available onboard and I don't like powdered creamer, so won't bring it. Certainly won't be bringing a 12 pack of creamer; we'll find out on my next cruise in 2 months.

If anyone learns before then, please let us know.

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm just looking to bring flavored liquid coffee creamer since it's not available onboard and I don't like powdered creamer, so won't bring it. Certainly won't be bringing a 12 pack of creamer; we'll find out on my next cruise in 2 months.

Bring it, the worst they can do is take it away. I don't think it is cost prohibitive to lose a bottle of creamer. Of course you could probably get a very nice latte with any number of flavours on the ship.

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Does anyone like powdered creamer?  That said I’m sure some do 😛😂.  Agree with the previous poster.  I bet you’ll be fine but as always be prepared to lose it.