Major increase on prepaid laundry

canuckfamily

I just logged into our booking for a cruise leaving in May on the Preziosa.   It appears the price for prepaid laundry went up over 60%.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Is it just a temporary glitch in the system?  I was trying to decide if prepaid on a package was worth it. 

I doubt that it will go back down. Not sure how much it was but last time I used it, it was $46 for 40 pieces. Looks like it has almost doubled. Mine for our next cruise says it is $76 for 40 pieces.  Not worth it anymore since last time we used it you had to send everything out at the same time.  Ummm, the reason I wanted the laundry is so I don't have to pack so much. Sending it all out at once was ridiculous.

I was thinking about getting the 40 piece package for our May cruise on Seascape but the jump in price from $49 to $76 made that decision a no for 7 day cruise. We had the 40 piece  package for our Divina cruise years ago for a 11 day cruise and it was cheaper and you could send laundey every day. I could check an extra bag with AA for $80 instead and not worry about MSC damaging my clothes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1620rock said:

I was thinking about getting the 40 piece package for our May cruise on Seascape but the jump in price from $49 to $76 made that decision a no for 7 day cruise. We had the 40 piece  package for our Divina cruise years ago for a 11 day cruise and it was cheaper and you could send laundey every day. I could check an extra bag with AA for $80 instead and not worry about MSC damaging my clothes

I am going to make the obligatory post expressing shock that you could possibly have 40 articles of clothing for a 7 day cruise.

Edit: Are socks counted individually?

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, canuckfamily said:

I just logged into our booking for a cruise leaving in May on the Preziosa.   It appears the price for prepaid laundry went up over 60%.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Is it just a temporary glitch in the system?  I was trying to decide if prepaid on a package was worth it. 

So, I went to purchase laundry a couple of months ago for my Poesia cruise and noticed it was missing. I called several times and all of the reps were confused as to why it was missing.

Then, last week, I logged in and saw the prices you saw. Kind of sucks because NO WAY am I paying those prices. As others said, they are almost double.

Obviously it was missing so they could rework the prices.

My cruise is 21 days, so I need to figure out how to pack better 🙂

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I am going to make the obligatory post expressing shock that you could possibly have 40 articles of clothing for a 7 day cruise.

EASILY.  Underwear = 1 piece.  Bra = 1 piece.  PJ top = 1 piece... Plus items that we fly in that we will NOT re-wear until washed  😉

4 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

EASILY.  Underwear = 1 piece.  Bra = 1 piece.  PJ top = 1 piece... Plus items that we fly in that we will NOT re-wear until washed  😉

I don't know how confident I would feel about sending a lot of my clothes to the ships laundry where I am sure they just use hot water and high heat for everything. I think I would only send items like underwear, socks, pajama pants, maybe jeans, maybe shorts, depending on the material. Even if I had 40 articles of clothing on a 7 day cruise, I think I would be hard pressed to come up with 40 I would send to the ship's laundry.

I counted up all of my articles of clothing for my current 11+7 cruise situation and came up with 53. So I could definitely see how for a 7 day, a stateroom with 2 people could bring 40+ items onboard, but part of the reason I brought that many items is precisely because I didn't want to have to do laundry onboard. Were into plan on doing laundry onboard, I would be WELL under 40 items.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I counted up all of my articles of clothing for my current 11+7 cruise situation and came up with 53. So I could definitely see how for a 7 day, a stateroom with 2 people could bring 40+ items onboard, but part of the reason I brought that many items is precisely because I didn't want to have to do laundry onboard. Were into plan on doing laundry onboard, I would be WELL under 40 items.

espeically when one of the two is a big, sweaty hubby 🙂  If I even tried to wash his t shirts in the sink they would never dry, thus the laundry.  (but agree on never sending out anything of value)

• Like 2

I noticed this increase as well. I believe I paid $19 for the 10 Piece plan this past October and when I checked the price for my cruise next summer it was $31. I usually travel carry-on only with the "land" part of my vacation first and send out my laundry on Day 1 or Day 2 of the cruise so I only have to pack around 7 days worth of clothing. I too may have to reconsider if I do this for my next cruise.

The prices are way too high now that's for sure, but it doesn't stop there. I bought a 3 specialty restaurant package yesterday for the Virtuoso for $120. It had been $71 in the past. However Virtuoso has some interesting options so I decided to go ahead and get it.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:17 AM, tkwbear said:

The prices are way too high now that's for sure, but it doesn't stop there. I bought a 3 specialty restaurant package yesterday for the Virtuoso for $120. It had been $71 in the past. However Virtuoso has some interesting options so I decided to go ahead and get it.

Interesting!

I just logged into my October cruise and see the laundry packages have been posted. The prices notes by phissy are what I see. Thought I'd post the detail part in case anyone wants to know:

"Book now and save 15% vs. onboard price!
Including:
Max 40 items per cabin
Ideal for families or couple on longer cruises.
Extend the relaxation after a wonderful long holiday by returning home with your clothes washed, dried and ready to put away.
Please note that dry cleaning is excluded, and that silk, wool, men's suits and evening dress are excluded from the final day of the cruise option as they require special treatment. Item allowance must be used all together in a single delivery. Multiple deliveries are not accepted. Items are collected before 12.00pm, returned before dinner the next day. Refund not available for unused item allowance."

12 hours ago, CTGirl74 said:

Item allowance must be used all together in a single delivery. Multiple deliveries are not accepted.

That line has been there since 2019. On the Divina in 2018 it wasn't and we could send a few things out every day. In 2019, they changed it to include this line in the description and on the Seaside they refused to let us send items out a few at a time. I was not happy and had a copy of when I had paid for the laundry and it did not state that you had to send them out all at once. Talked to the officer in charge and I was able to send a few pieces out at a time. After that though (on the Seashore) they were very strict with having you send all pieces out at the same time.

It has gotten so expensive and with that rule, it just isn't worth it anymore for us.

With the low price, too many people must have been using it. Better to sell it for twice the price and have half as much laundry to do.

(We never do laundry on the cruise, but we have never cruised more than 10 days, so we just wash at home; I usually bring small detergent sheets that I can clean things in the shower as needed.)

42 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

With the low price, too many people must have been using it. Better to sell it for twice the price and have half as much laundry to do.

(We never do laundry on the cruise, but we have never cruised more than 10 days, so we just wash at home; I usually bring small detergent sheets that I can clean things in the shower as needed.)

We usually cruise 21 to 30 days at once so it was very convenient for us, not having to pack so much. Last time was only 11 days so I just took some detergent with us.  Next cruise is 21 days and the one after is 28 days.  Will be doing the 21 days on MSC and will be doing laundry in the sink I guess.  The one after is on NCL and being Sapphire we get 2 bags of laundry a week so that will be great.

5 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We usually cruise 21 to 30 days at once so it was very convenient for us, not having to pack so much. Last time was only 11 days so I just took some detergent with us.  Next cruise is 21 days and the one after is 28 days.  Will be doing the 21 days on MSC and will be doing laundry in the sink I guess.  The one after is on NCL and being Sapphire we get 2 bags of laundry a week so that will be great.

For a 30 day cruise, it seems like 40 pieces is too small to even be useful. You almost need to pick a port to live like a local and visit a laundry mat!

• Haha 1