ONLY Candy Straws?

bassmk

18 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We bring our own individually wrapped straws.  The candy straws are too slimy for us and it's hard to clean and sanitize metal straws.

I thought of this, but I wanted something I could carry in my pocket. I wound up getting a collapsible silicone straw with a little carrying case.

• Like 1

With the types of fines that Carnival faces for non-compliance with the court order it wouldn't surprise me if they banned single use plastic straws. All they need is for an inspector to see those onboard and all heck would break lose.

We bring the collapsible metal straws with silicone tips - they works great for my wife.  She prefers to drink icy drinks (frozen drinks or drinks with lots of ice) with a straw.  Martinis or similar that are just shaken (not stirred, lol) in ice are OK for her sans straw.

I, on the other hand, will gladly slurp a frozen drink with no straw, so I don't bother.

We've got a box of these - available on Amazon - made of corn starch - biodegradable & they only have a slight matte finish compared to plastic straws;

Webake 100% Compostable Jumbo Straws, 9 Inch Long Drinking Straw Eco Friendly Plant-based PLA, Plastic Alternative Straws for Drinks Smoothie Shake Slushie, Pack of 100 Individually Wrapped

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

With the types of fines that Carnival faces for non-compliance with the court order it wouldn't surprise me if they banned single use plastic straws. All they need is for an inspector to see those onboard and all heck would break lose.

Well first of all plastic straws are not banned by the government or anything, an inspector isn't going to say anything if they see straws. It's just that Carnival wasn't sorting them out of their food waste properly, and so they were making their way into the food slurry that they discharge into the sea.

If Carnival does actually ban plastic straws, easy solution. Just sneak the straws in with your marijuana and you'll have no problems on a Carnival cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They can't banned guests from bringing them.

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

They can't banned guests from bringing them.

They can ban guests from bringing anything, if they choose to. Their ship and their rules. It's probably very unlikely, I was just saying it wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

Well first of all plastic straws are not banned by the government or anything, an inspector isn't going to say anything if they see straws. It's just that Carnival wasn't sorting them out of their food waste properly, and so they were making their way into the food slurry that they discharge into the sea.

If Carnival does actually ban plastic straws, easy solution. Just sneak the straws in with your marijuana and you'll have no problems on a Carnival cruise.

Probably won't happen but like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the company overreacted and made the attempt. Enforcement would be problematic, of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Probably won't happen but like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the company overreacted and made the attempt. Enforcement would be problematic, of course.

Enforcement is rarely a problem for Carnival - they just don't try to enforce. 😲😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, icft said:

Enforcement is rarely a problem for Carnival - they just don't try to enforce. 😲😁

It depends on the rule. They certainly do enforce the rule about bringing alcohol aboard in one's luggage or from a port.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It depends on the rule. They certainly do enforce the rule about bringing alcohol aboard in one's luggage or from a port.

Yep, that's because then you are forced to buy theirs 🤣

Let's be honest though, most of the rest of them not so much.  Otherwise there would be a lot less craziness that goes on.

• Like 3

Honestly, I was prepared for the worst after reading the candy straw posts before our cruise. Yes they got slimy, but I didn’t eat them so I didn’t care. They weren’t as bad as I thought they would be. I agree, I’d rather have plastic straws. But it just made me drink my drink a little faster. My kids enjoyed eating them though. Basically I wasn’t bothered enough with them to carry my own 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, mz-s said:

How have we regressed as a society? 40 years ago before plastic straws, straws were made out of waxed paper. I remember McDonald's cups used to be made of wax paper too. Straws went to plastic and eventually so did McDonald's cups. Why can we not use wax paper anymore? And who decided making straws out of candy was a good idea?

Yes, I remember those straws. Those straws held up. These new paper straws deteriorate before you can finish the drink. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2023 at 8:00 PM, mz-s said:

40 years ago before plastic straws, straws were made out of waxed paper. I remember McDonald's cups used to be made of wax paper too. Straws went to plastic and eventually so did McDonald's cups. Why can we not use wax paper anymore?

I was thinking about this (which is maybe why it's taken me two weeks to respond...).

Maybe the wax paper straws are not healthy for you (especially under California Prop 65), or maybe the wax, which makes them last, is just as problematic to sea life as the plastic ones?

You can still buy them in bulk, quick search was a case of 3000 for $172, so less than 6 cents a piece.  Undoubtedly there must be cheaper ones out there, and Carnival's bulk purchase would drop it significantly.

I dunno, it does seem like a logical solution if wax straws are viable.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I was thinking about this (which is maybe why it's taken me two weeks to respond...).

Maybe the wax paper straws are not healthy for you (especially under California Prop 65), or maybe the wax, which makes them last, is just as problematic to sea life as the plastic ones?

You can still buy them in bulk, quick search was a case of 3000 for $172, so less than 6 cents a piece.  Undoubtedly there must be cheaper ones out there, and Carnival's bulk purchase would drop it significantly.

I dunno, it does seem like a logical solution if wax straws are viable.

My guess is that they considered every option before going to the candy straws, as I am sure they cost more than the wax ones.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Maybe I should consider packing my own plastic straws for next month?.... are they labeled as being as dangerous as a rogue extension cord or Keurig?

That's one option. But the problem with bringing your own straws is carrying them around and carrying around a plastic straw is just as much a pain as carrying around one stainless steel straw. And, I like chocolate shakes so I would have to be sure the plastic straw was strong enough to not collapse and strong enough to not bend when I stir the shake. So I carry around one stainless steel straw.

The only upside to carrying one use plastic straws is you just throw it away when finished. I have to pass by the bathroom and rinse it out before it goes back in the pocket.