ONLY Candy Straws?

bassmk

When we cruised the Mardi Gras in 2021, they only had candy straws at the bar. I've been reading recent reviews and it looks like they still have the candy straws. Is that the only option? There's no paper straws available? I remember the two flavor options were both pretty gross. I was thinking about buying a collapsible metal or silicone straw to keep in my pocket as an alternative. What do folks who can't have sugar do for a straw? (I guess maybe they avoid sugary alcoholic beverages. LOL)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bassmk said:

When we cruised the Mardi Gras in 2021, they only had candy straws at the bar. I've been reading recent reviews and it looks like they still have the candy straws. Is that the only option? There's no paper straws available? I remember the two flavor options were both pretty gross. I was thinking about buying a collapsible metal or silicone straw to keep in my pocket as an alternative. What do folks who can't have sugar do for a straw? (I guess maybe they avoid sugary alcoholic beverages. LOL)

Bring your own straws, or buy the reusable metal ones they sell on the ship

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I carry disposable straws at all times so I always have my own with me.  The ones on the ship were disgusting and some restaurants don't offer them anymore.  I also use them at home or if I'm at someone's house.  Bought a metal reusable but it made me gag. I bring extra for cruises and I'm always giving  a few away...

Unfortunately, I can't drink anything without a straw!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hard_eight said:

Chocolate or lime!

Strawberry too!

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Yep we invested in some collapsible metal ones with their own little case and cleaning brush.  Just clean it each night in the room.

Sounds like the ones I bought. Worked out pretty well. Using them on the occasional shot of Vodka works for cleaning too. 😆

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sgttami said:

I carry disposable straws at all times so I always have my own with me.  The ones on the ship were disgusting and some restaurants don't offer them anymore.  I also use them at home or if I'm at someone's house.  Bought a metal reusable but it made me gag. I bring extra for cruises and I'm always giving  a few away...

Unfortunately, I can't drink anything without a straw!

Same.  I gave a milkshake plastic straw to a young boy who smashed his candy straw and couldn't drink his milkshake.  His mother almost cried.

• Like 1

How have we regressed as a society? 40 years ago before plastic straws, straws were made out of waxed paper. I remember McDonald's cups used to be made of wax paper too. Straws went to plastic and eventually so did McDonald's cups. Why can we not use wax paper anymore? And who decided making straws out of candy was a good idea?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

Yep we invested in some collapsible metal ones with their own little case and cleaning brush.  Just clean it each night in the room.

That's what we do also.

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

How have we regressed as a society? 40 years ago before plastic straws, straws were made out of waxed paper. I remember McDonald's cups used to be made of wax paper too. Straws went to plastic and eventually so did McDonald's cups. Why can we not use wax paper anymore? And who decided making straws out of candy was a good idea?

I agree 100%. For the first 40 years of my life waxed paper straws were the norm and they did a great job.

I don' think a lot of the "eco-conscious" stuff is a real attempt to be eco-consious but rather marketing to guilt. In my younger days we not only had waxed paper disposable straws and cups but we also had brown paper bags at the grocery that you used to line your kitchen garbage bin. These young folks who accuse us boomers of not respecting the environment are the ones who brought in disposable plastic straws, water bottles, grocery bags, garbage bin liners, once a year plastic phones...  But the new generations don't think it counts unless you suffer. Gotta earn your cred. 🤣

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We bring our own individually wrapped straws.  The candy straws are too slimy for us and it's hard to clean and sanitize metal straws.

All the metal straws I've used are very sharp as well - I have nightmares of tripping while drinking and having a core sample taken out of my cheek.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

All the metal straws I've used are very sharp as well - I have nightmares of tripping while drinking and having a core sample taken out of my cheek.

We got lucky I guess, the ones we got are great.  They aren't sharp (the ends are actually rolled if that makes sense), collapse into a nice little container (very compact)  and are very easy to clean with the included collapsible cleaning brush.  I love mine.  

PS:  They actually came with nice silicone end for the drinking end too.  I took it off because it didn't need it.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

Just now, wemjam said:

We got lucky I guess, the ones we got are great.  They aren't sharp (the ends are actually rolled if that makes sense), collapse into a nice little container (very compact)  and are very easy to clean with the included collapsible cleaning brush.  I love mine.  

Yeah I may buy one like that, or just a box of regular plastic straws, for my next cruise. I cannot stand the candy ones and I'm scared of the metal ones I have.

Actually the straws I really miss are the little coffee stirrer ones they'd put in my Old Fashioneds.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Yeah I may buy one like that, or just a box of regular plastic straws, for my next cruise. I cannot stand the candy ones and I'm scared of the metal ones I have.

Actually the straws I really miss are the little coffee stirrer ones they'd put in my Old Fashioneds.

🙃 Ya I tried the box of plastic straws, but it was a pain to walk around carrying those.  They weren't very convenient to fit in your pocket.  Inevitably the time I wanted a drink was when we were as far away from the room as possible and we (well if I am being honest, my husband lol) would have to trudge back to the room to get a straw because neither of us wanted to carry the plastic ones around.

12 hours ago, mz-s said:

Waxed paper is still a thing but it may not be as recyclable as regular paper, precluding its use on a large scale. Cost might also be a factor for all I know. I'm not a big fan of the candy straws either but only use them if I get a frozen drink.

I just discovered last week that the flavored paper straws were going to be our option on Carnival.  Nope, not gonna do that.  Although we do own reusable silicone straws, we will be taking some individually wrapped plastic straws with us on the ship.

34 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

I just discovered last week that the flavored paper straws were going to be our option on Carnival.  Nope, not gonna do that.  Although we do own reusable silicone straws, we will be taking some individually wrapped plastic straws with us on the ship.

Just an FYI, they are not "flavored paper straws"  they are true sugar candy straws.  100% edible.  But there in lies the issue, because they are they get slimly when they get wet and are no fun to drink out of.

I will suck it up (pun intended) and use one on a sweet drink like a milk shake (with the chocolate straw), and then I eat the straw too.  But other than that I use my own metal straw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

I have short straws in my collection

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Just an FYI, they are not "flavored paper straws"  they are true sugar candy straws.  100% edible.  But there in lies the issue, because they are they get slimly when they get wet and are no fun to drink out of.

I will suck it up (pun intended) and use one on a sweet drink like a milk shake (with the chocolate straw), and then I eat the straw too.  But other than that I use my own metal straw.

Yup. The Milk Shakes are about the only place the candy straws work. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mz-s said:

American Dental Association 🤣

• Haha 8

I love the lime straws😋.  When I have the drink package, sometimes I will go up to the bar and order a "Caribbean Colada with an extra straw, but no glass... and no drink...just the straws".  One time the bartender just handed me the straws, one time he let me sign the ticket for the drink (and the tip)🥴

Because Carnival continued using one time plastic items, inc. straws, despite legal orders to desist, judges invoked substantial fines and penalties that finally got Carnival's attention.

The idea that any one time plastic usage item can be safely used on sea going ships without consequences to the ocean and marine life is ludicrous. 

Plastic packaging, storage and dispensing items as well as culinary utensils are now banned - YAY !!

• Like 6