Fully booked Speciality restaurants

Ramsgate23

1st timers, so be gentle! 😁
We have booked a mixture of MDR and specialty for a cruise on Silhouette at the end of May.
Decided to try and book one additional specialty, but everything is showing booked out. Do they only sell so much beforehand and hold some spaces back for booking on the ship?

thanks

13 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I’ve had no trouble booking on board. You may need to be flexible with your dining time. Make reservations soon after boarding.

Unless you’re in a suite or want to eat 830pm or later it can be quite a challenge unless the ship is greatly reduced in capacity 

• Like 2

I've found that they only allocate a certain number of reservations pre-cruise and hold some back for Suites.    You can book immediately using the app when you first board or drop by the Specialty Booking spots on the ship or if in a Suite ask the Concierge to book for you. 

There are constant cancellation so check back day you want regularly.     We couldn't book Eden on line but was able to book onboard with no problems.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've found that they only allocate a certain number of reservations pre-cruise and hold some back for Suites.    You can book immediately using the app when you first board or drop by the Specialty Booking spots on the ship or if in a Suite ask the Concierge to book for you. 

There are constant cancellation so check back day you want regularly.     We couldn't book Eden on line but was able to book onboard with no problems.

Glad to hear they hold some back for suites. We are waiting until we board to book specialty. We want to see what nights have lobster in MDR, Blu and Luminae. We are in a PH

Laura

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ramsgate23 said:

Do they only sell so much beforehand and hold some spaces back for booking on the ship?

I believe they do hold back some " prime " times everyday for suite guests.

However, ( I posted this suggestion a few times  ) here's what we've done and it works:

As soon as you board , go straight to the Specialty restaurant and see what's available.

If there is nothing on the day/time you want, leave your name/cabin number and ask the Maitre'd to call if anything becomes available. ( Your body language will/should indicate a few $ ).

It's not a bribe as I've been accused of--- It's the way business is done where I'm from ).

It works and is worth an extra few $ .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

However, ( I posted this suggestion a few times  ) here's what we've done and it works:

As soon as you board , go straight to the Specialty restaurant and see what's available.

If there is nothing on the day/time you want, leave your name/cabin number and ask the Maitre'd to call if anything becomes available. ( Your body language will/should indicate a few $ ).

It's not a bribe as I've been accused of--- It's the way business is done where I'm from ).

Thank you and yes I agree that is the way to do business. #CashIsKing 😁Any hotel I go to, bar man and waiter always get a good tip night one.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Essiesmom said:

I’m just puzzled why, if this is your first Celebrity cruise, Without yet eating in the MDR you need to eat so many nights in specialty restaurants.  EM

I look from the opposite way, as a first timer I want to try as many different options as possible. Maybe on future cruises we will then reduce (or increase) our MDR/Specialty nix.

17 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

They hold back 40-50% of the dining slots and times which they open on the day of boarding.  Has nothing to do with suites or tips.  Just go to any Specialty as soon as you board and make a reservation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

They hold back 40-50% of the dining slots and times which they open on the day of boarding.  Has nothing to do with suites or tips.  Just go to any Specialty as soon as you board and make a reservation.

If that's true, I stand corrected.

My post( s) were based on past experience and what a Maitre'd " suggested " on more than one occasion. 

I suppose it depends on the demand ??

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just got off APEX.  No specialty slots open before our cruise.  On board pick your restaurant and pretty much the time.  Even Eden had openings most nights.

Was told 40% of slots opened precruise.

Yes the slots are always open on the embarkation day.  They hold quite a few open.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m just puzzled why, if this is your first Celebrity cruise, Without yet eating in the MDR you need to eat so many nights in specialty restaurants.  EM

In our case, we simply prefer the experience of dining in a quiet restaurant rather than a huge, loud, frenetic dining room with the constant coming and going of guests and staff etc. Much more peaceful, waiters more relaxed and less harried, etc.  We typically only eat in a MDR once or twice on a trip and use the SDRs most nights.  Personal preference.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, Essiesmom said:

Because if you wait until you've dined a night or two ni the MDR, then you've likely lost your shot at booking specialty.  On the other hand, you can cancel the specialty if you find you are perfectly happy in the MDR.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 4:54 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Unless you’re in a suite or want to eat 830pm or later it can be quite a challenge unless the ship is greatly reduced in capacity 

What does the suite have to do with specialty dining reservations?  Asking for a friend.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What does the suite have to do with specialty dining reservations?  Asking for a friend.

If you are in a higher suite, you may very well be able to slide in for a table at short notice.  It doesn't always work out that way, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

If you are in a higher suite, you may very well be able to slide in for a table at short notice.  It doesn't always work out that way, though.

I'm on deck 11.  Is that high enough?  😁

• Haha 2

On 5/8/2023 at 10:02 AM, Laurab23 said:

Glad to hear they hold some back for suites. We are waiting until we board to book specialty. We want to see what nights have lobster in MDR, Blu and Luminae. We are in a PH

Laura

Would you please pass the Grey Poupon ?
🤣 Hope you have a great cruise. 🚢

Edited by horseymike
  • Haha 2

We have had different experiences and have had difficulty getting reservations other than 8:30 pm even when we go to the Specialty Dining desk immediately upon embarkation. 

What has worked is calling the specialty dining desk on day or 2 or 3 and asking what's opened up. Often, earlier reservations are available. 

I think this is a staffing issue post-pandemic. On our last 3 cruises, Murano has been maybe 1/4 full yet they are 'fully booked'. 

On a related note, I purchased a 5-night specialty package for our upcoming Eclipse cruise. I could have sworn you were allowed to reserve one night in advance with the packages, but I can't find a way to do so either on their website or app. Have they eliminated this, or am I misremembering? Our last cruise was in a suite on Summit so we didn't do specialty, and it was pre-COVID so my memory has mostly been erased in the intervening years anyway 😁. If anyone knows how to do this, let me know!

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

Have they eliminated this, or am I misremembering?

If anyone knows how to do this, let me know!

LOL---- Perhaps you misremembered ( ?? ) what was suggested in post # 7 ??

A few $$ to the Maitre'd works and is appreciated ----

And , more than once, after dinner we were asked if we enjoyed our meal and upon answering " Absolutely, it was great "--- the Maitre'd offered us 50 % off if we would like to come again.

You see, there is competition between Specialty restaurants , targets to meet on every cruise , and the Staff will make more money.

20 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---- Perhaps you misremembered ( ?? ) what was suggested in post # 7 ??

I don't see any mention in your post #7 of what I am referring to - that is, the ability to book at least the one night of your dining package online pre-cruise. As for the rest, our practice has always been to go directly to Murano upon boarding and book the remainder of our dining then. No need to bribe the Maitre'd, either.

Fortunately, Celebrity customer service was able to confirm for me that they do not allow reservations pre-boarding for the dining packages. Now we know.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Suites get priority for pretty much everything.  That's just the way it is.  They pay the most so they get the most.  Higher suites get the most priority, so it would be rare (if ever) the highest level suites couldn't find reservations.

• Like 1