Online Check In

arpie05

I am just complaining about the most difficult online check in I have ever experienced. This was my first with NCL since 2019 and the additional adding of a photo is ridiculous. They have made it very difficult to check in another passenger as well. My aunt is in her mid 70s. She doesnt live close or have internet. Sure she goes to the Library to use it but she doesn't know how to add the app or get a password for logging on. I've asked her to do - and she hasn't. You can't even add someone else credit card info - you can do the safety video for someone but not add a CC???! Seriously! I had to delete my cc info and select to add her to mine - but it was not clear that had to do that to get the option (back because when I did my check in - I didn't select to add her as I thought I was adding her cc). AND the  photo was so difficult. It thought every pic I took of me was blurry with my phone and camera. Should have option to add photo upon check in.  Thank you for listening 🙂

1 hour ago, arpie05 said:

I am just complaining about the most difficult online check in I have ever experienced. This was my first with NCL since 2019 and the additional adding of a photo is ridiculous. They have made it very difficult to check in another passenger as well. My aunt is in her mid 70s. She doesnt live close or have internet. Sure she goes to the Library to use it but she doesn't know how to add the app or get a password for logging on. I've asked her to do - and she hasn't. You can't even add someone else credit card info - you can do the safety video for someone but not add a CC???! Seriously! I had to delete my cc info and select to add her to mine - but it was not clear that had to do that to get the option (back because when I did my check in - I didn't select to add her as I thought I was adding her cc). AND the  photo was so difficult. It thought every pic I took of me was blurry with my phone and camera. Should have option to add photo upon check in.  Thank you for listening 🙂

They will take a picture of you upon checking-in if not to their standard.  It happens often to me so I use a cropped picture that is acceptable to App.  I didn't know about credit card issue, maybe addresses/name didn't match.  I select cash and add my credit card info at 2 days to avoid mishaps.

Like 'jdc987' I now have cropped photos of DW & myself that I now use for the check-in process after experiencing the same issues you had.  I feel your pain!

I think that adding the photo to the check-in process is being driven by an old COVID-related regulation or some other government entity.  It's not something NCL is doing on their own.

I was reading somewhere that one of the cruise lines (RCCL, maybe??) was planning on doing something similar to expedite the pier-based check-in process.  The plan was that you check-in online or via an app, upload a photo, scan your passport, give your credit card info, etc.  When you arrive at the pier on sailing day you'd just identify yourself & they hand you your key card.  Sounds great...in theory.   Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Edited by tomk3212

Here's my winning photo from the September cruise. NCL actually allowed it! Of course they had to do a retake when I got to the port. In other words, don't worry too much about the photo. Just throw something in there that'll get accepted until they retake. 

image.jpeg.ce186266375d3360ed14c43a2cf88ec0.jpeg

Here's the winner from March! I was too comfy to change into different clothes just to check-in for a cruise. Robe for the win!

image.thumb.jpeg.58c25a1244fd958434637ad6461bf0b4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

20 hours ago, arpie05 said:

I completely understand.    We sometimes travel with my dad who will be 86 the next time he cruises with us.   I will take a few pictures of him, grab his credit card information and then log in as him when the time comes.    I also wish they would let you start filling in all of the information before the 21 day mark like the old days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Here's my winning photo from the September cruise. NCL actually allowed it! Of course they had to do a retake when I got to the port. In other words, don't worry too much about the photo. Just throw something in there that'll get accepted until they retake. 

Here's the winner from March! I was too comfy to change into different clothes just to check-in for a cruise. Robe for the win!

You never cease not to make me chuckle at least once a day.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jdc987 said:

They will take a picture of you upon checking-in if not to their standard.  It happens often to me so I use a cropped picture that is acceptable to App.  I didn't know about credit card issue, maybe addresses/name didn't match.  I select cash and add my credit card info at 2 days to avoid mishaps.

My next cruise will be my first with online check in, once you enter your credit card number do they pre-authorise an amount right then or once at the pier ready to bord the ship ?

Thank you,

4 minutes ago, sebas030 said:

My next cruise will be my first with online check in, once you enter your credit card number do they pre-authorise an amount right then or once at the pier ready to bord the ship ?

Thank you,

When you are in the cruise terminal for check-in, you will be asked for the credit card that you will be using.

• Like 1

As for CC .... NCL doesn't like our Bermuda issued CCs even that they are US$, so for the last decade or so we always select CASH when we check-in online. When we get to port and check-in we hand over our CCs for them to link to our ship account. Not an issue when selecting CASH whatsoever.

As for photo, a simple mug shot will do, plain light background, no glasses. It doesn't have to be a perfect looking picture - it's fine if you have a bad hair day. The Port agents will take new mug shots of you anyway to link photo to your cruise card.

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

You never cease not to make me chuckle at least once a day.  

Awww, thank you! I've noticed my posts have been....less humorous lately. Thank you for the reminder that I need to continue my trend of contributing, but making my contributions humorous. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Awww, thank you! I've noticed my posts have been....less humorous lately. Thank you for the reminder that I need to continue my trend of contributing, but making my contributions humorous. 

I have to agree with @vacation44! You keep me in🤣mode!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sebas030 said:

Thank you,

My experience is precharge $100 within a day or two, then a precharge toward the end of the cruise then the final charge at end or shortly after with all others dropping off.

On 5/10/2023 at 1:15 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Welp....apparently I have memory problems. Someone just liked my post from August 8, 2022 where I stated the top photo, in this more current post, was rejected by NCL. It was a long time ago, y'all! And I have senior moments...but really, the robe photo was accepted. Not sure I have proof of acceptance, so you'll have to trust my (apparently) foggy memory. 

I feel the complaints.  i had significant problems prior to my Gem cruise last week.  My credit card would not connect, then I could not attach my husbands to my card.  He does not have an NCL account to check in himself. I phoned up NCL and emailed my NCL consultant.  Both said to turn up and we could check in there.  It was not an issue. 

I had taken photos of both of us.  That process was not difficult for me.  When we got to port  they asked me for another photo.  Not difficult.   All of the check in agents had tablets to work with.  

So I got miffed that I wasted about 3 afternoons stressing over the checkin process.  All we really needed was the reservation number and our passport.  They did not even ask me for my credit card.  They said I needed to do that on board.  I did not do that until port 3 when we wanted to buy shuttle tickets.  

So to anyone else trying to check in - don't stress.   If you cannot do it online you CAN do it at the port.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, arpie05 said:

I'm not sure what it is you think is difficult.  You can complete most of the check in for everyone when you are logged in.  If you do not have a picture of each person, just upload a silhouette for that person and they will take a picture at embarkation.  For the parameters such as payment, just log in as that person and fill out the info.  Done!

I find that checking in at the port doesn't add much extra time to the check in process.  It takes less than 30 seconds for them to take your photo.  I never put a CC on my account, but I can't imagine that taking a long time either.  And since they check your travel documents anyway, online check in doesn't offer any time savings, just headaches.  And back when I did used to check in (before COVID), never was I asked for my edocs.  This is just my experience/opinion 

Just now, dbrown84 said:

I find that checking in at the port doesn't add much extra time to the check in process.  It takes less than 30 seconds for them to take your photo.  I never put a CC on my account, but I can't imagine that taking a long time either.  And since they check your travel documents anyway, online check in doesn't offer any time savings, just headaches.  And back when I did used to check in (before COVID), never was I asked for my edocs.  This is just my experience/opinion 

I also carry on my bag, so no need for luggage tags.  Do they still mail tags to your home?

On 5/13/2023 at 3:49 PM, dbrown84 said:

I also carry on my bag, so no need for luggage tags.  Do they still mail tags to your home?

NCL hasn't mailed tags home in over a decade. That I'm aware. It's possible you used a travel agent at some point and they sent you them.

9 minutes ago, arpie05 said:

NCL hasn't mailed tags home in over a decade. That I'm aware. It's possible you used a travel agent at some point and they sent you them.

no, I've never used a travel agent.  But like I said, I've never had a need for them so I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I've received them at home.  The first time I got them, I was clueless as to what they were even for.  I actually don't keep my address current with NCL to avoid getting any mail from them.  Too much junk mail from NCL.

2 hours ago, arpie05 said:

That was the good old times ... the anticipation of receiving your package and the tags was so fun !

3 hours ago, arpie05 said:

I was mailed my tags for my sailing in the 31st of this month.  

• Like 1

I am having a different problem. Last night it said I am checked in. Today, we went back to finish my husband's check in and now mine says 93%. The only place not checked is personal information. The summary shows the gender as empty, but when I hit edit the question is not listed to complete. Driving me crazy!!

On 5/15/2023 at 9:55 AM, arpie05 said:

I received luggage tags for my cruise in April.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 11:20 AM, PFK56 said:

I am having a different problem. Last night it said I am checked in. Today, we went back to finish my husband's check in and now mine says 93%. The only place not checked is personal information. The summary shows the gender as empty, but when I hit edit the question is not listed to complete. Driving me crazy!!

I am having this exact issue right now. How were you able to resolve it? I called NCL but they just told me to keep trying. At this point my husband and I are going to have completely different check in times.