What do you hope will be done to our beloved QM2 in the 2023 refurbishment?

Liberal_Baggie

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I have never had any of the problems you mention about cards, except occasionally having to search a moment in my handbag. But a wristband, made of what? Something sweaty and unpleasant? The medallion, what ever that may be, possibly catching in one’s clothes, or disappearing under several layers on a cold day, or getting entangled with my watch. I do wear a watch, which has some of the above problems, but never wear bracelets for the reasons above. 
Smart phones won’t do, because a number of passengers don’t have them. 
Perhaps we should go back to actual keys.

I’m very much of a Cunard traditionalist in so many ways and I also see changes coming in technology within entire hospitality sector. I too do not want to experience a smart phone centered voyage like many of us on these boards have already made clear. 
However, newer cruise ships have IPad controlled rooms for climate control, curtains, etc and Princess already has the wrist medallion. (Ships supply the Ipad, btw). 

The several land-based resorts I’ve visited over the last couple years have wrist medallions and they’re made of two thin leather straps around your wrist. Waterproof too and you don’t even know you’re wearing it. 

These tech changes may not happen on the QM2 this November but let’s see how new technology affects QA in 2024. My guess is a lot. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’m very much of a Cunard traditionalist in so many ways and I also see changes coming in technology within entire hospitality sector. I too do not want to experience a smart phone centered voyage like many of us on these boards have already made clear. 
However, newer cruise ships have IPad controlled rooms for climate control, curtains, etc and Princess already has the wrist medallion. (Ships supply the Ipad, btw). 

The several land-based resorts I’ve visited over the last couple years have wrist medallions and they’re made of two thin leather straps around your wrist. Waterproof too and you don’t even know you’re wearing it. 

These tech changes may not happen on the QM2 this November but let’s see how new technology affects QA in 2024. My guess is a lot. 

Admittedly, our last hotel stay was pre Covid, in '19 but rooms still utilised the key card system and I'm not aware things have changed.

I for one, will not be wearing any kind of tech to enter my room and any chitty wil be paid from my pocket, be it a card or, heavens forbid, some kind of techie thingy.

• Like 1

I often wonder if anyone from Cunard actually monitors this Board but I couldn't help but notice that the banner ad on the home page is for Cunard which indicates to me that they do think that CC is an important web site.

Ditto on the shower curtains. At least finish out the rest of the Britannia Club cabins and make it consistent. 

I think the Champagne Bar is an underutilize space which is a shame because it has such a great location. Even when Veuve Clicquot sponsored it and had it looking really special, I never saw that many people using it. I would suggest making it into either some other type of specialty drink bar or opening it up into the Chart Room. 

• Like 2

I did not mean to ratchet up this discussion to the level we get when we discuss “Changes to the Dress Code”. 
Hopefully Cunard will give pax a choice to stay old-school and offer either a key card or chose a “techie thingy”. That would be a fair move. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NE John said:

and you don’t even know you’re wearing it.

You would need to have some sort of condition where your skin couldn't feel anything touching it.

I've recently watched videos where someone was using the Princess Medallion. It would get in the way of any other jewellery worn on the wrists and wouldn't look very nice in photographs. They are thicker than cards and therefore will be more noticeable in pockets. If they want NFC tech it can just as easily be put in a card.

We'd be happy with upgrades to the older bath/shower rooms, and Starlink internet kit being installed.

Otherwise general replacement of worn/life expired items.

As for USB charging sockets in cabins; we're unlikely to make much use of them. More and more phones are enabled to use higher output chargers. We're currently on 30W & 33W and potential replacements are coming with up to 68W so we would use plug in chargers anyway. USB points in lounges for topping up would be more useful as my phone loses charge quicker while being used as FTP backup for our camera, although that was probably more noticeable with the hundreds of photos I took in a short period at a recent wedding.

We would never have reason to use them; but if demand for pet kennels is as often suggested perhaps they should look at providing more pet capacity. We'd like more animals to have the choice between flying and sailing across the Atlantic.

• Like 1

@Jack E Dawson Agreed on the Champagne Bar.

But they could easily fill it a bit more if they offered a few glasses at lower prices.

Restaurants here charge around €11 for a 120ml glass of similar to L.P. La Cuvée. Cunard charge $16.75 for 150ml. They could drop the glass sizes and serve a cava or a prosecco as well.

I’m with @D&N regarding anything I have to wear that would interfere with my baubles or scarves. I hate the feeling of those paper wrist bands I have to wear in some museums. Plastic would be like a hospital! Although I must agree with @NE John that digging a card out of my purse with my other hand clutching a cold libation is difficult. Just install photo recognition like my iPhone!

No wirstbands for me- I can not stand them. The cards are fine with me. Toilets are mentioned. Noooo- let them not touch the Champagne Bar- one of my favorite bars.

Ah a major refit in 2026, well I hope they change not tooooo much then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, techteach said:

I’m with @D&N regarding anything I have to wear that would interfere with my baubles or scarves. I hate the feeling of those paper wrist bands I have to wear in some museums. Plastic would be like a hospital! Although I must agree with @NE John that digging a card out of my purse with my other hand clutching a cold libation is difficult. Just install photo recognition like my iPhone!

I am a traditionalist and would stand with the old fashion scan card.

I don't like these vendors that want you to charge by swiping your phone near a terminal or key pad.

Honestly, on the last sailing, in most of the shops on board except for wine steward, they asked for name and cabin number and just signed the slip. Did not show any cards again except for the wine.

And for 14 days never a problem with the cabin door lock. Did not have to get a new card or have it re scanned at the Pursers Office.

• Like 1

Just come off Sky Princess where I surprised myself by liking the Medallion. During the day I wore it on my wrist in a watch strap type thing and at night I popped it out of the strap and put it in my clutch. No outfit ruining necessary! And I didn't have to worry when I wore clothes without pockets.

I liked that I could find the rest of my family at any time - my husband might not have liked the ease at which I could track him to a bar. Also liked that my room unlocked as I approached. Not having to fish around in my pockets for a key card while holding the toddler/drinks/snacks from the buffet was really helpful for me. Trying to juggle clutch, nappy bag and baby last year on QV and QM2 was a bit of a challenge. It's waterproof too so no worrying about leaving my card lying about while I take a solo swim.

I believe the technology uses radio rather than NFC so it does need power which rules out putting it in cards. But no reason why they couldn't have both options available - my toddler was given a key card because under 2s aren't allowed medallions.

Sky also had Starlink. Very reliable 3Mpbs all over the ship at any time. And we even had signal in our cabin. The WiFi is super patchy on Cunard and the internet itself very slow. Last time we were on QM2 we couldn't get any signal at all in our room - not idea when you want to browse the internet at 3am while you feed the baby!

Whatever they do change on the QM2 I hope the changes are as successful as Carinthia Lounge which went from a disliked part of the ship to one of my favourite parts of the ship. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, TheOldBear said:

I'm surprised that there has not been one minor upgrade that could be performed without waiting for a shipyard - USB power points in staterooms. Perhaps a modified table lamp with a USB type 'A' port added to the base could be gradually rolled out [power for phone charging - not laptop charging] 

I was surprised to find this hadn't been done on the Queen E either . A missed opportunity .

So agree with @tacticalbanjo, about the convenience of the Princess medallion. Unless you have tried it, why dismiss it? It is very small, no need to wear it, just pop it in a bag/shirt or trouser pocket, and it works fine for unlatching door. If you order a drink and move table to be with friends or for whatever reason, you will always be found. The back up for viewing spend statements is great, without queueing at the pursers or concierge desk. I thought it was brilliant.

I think this would be too expensive for the next QM2 refit, but would love to have a similar system installed: after all the QM2 is supposed to have another 20 years of useful service. If not modernised the ship will seem to be operating in the dark ages. The QA has the propensity to be a super modern upmarket cruise ship, and hope the technology also reflects this.

We cannot harp for the past otherwise Cunard will become a commercial flop!

• Like 1

Guest SilverHengroen

Yes, Wi-Fi speeds and coverage throughout the ship is the real must, while some people want to disconnect on holiday, many want to stay in contact with family and friends throughout. Now it’s effectively more expensive with the change to buying whole days rather than by the minute it’s all the more annoying not to be able to connect.

I’m ambivalent about a digital app or medallion based experience, it sounds like it works well on Princess but it’s probably a lot of work to retrofit, and things do work ok as they are for now. 

With shower doors vs curtains, I wonder about the practicality, shatterproof glass is heavy, and times a thousand plus staterooms as well as frames fitted to the showers that’s potentially adding a non trivial amount of weight topside? 

I’d like to see the pavilion pool area updated a bit, it feels a bit more leisure-centre shoreside rather than luxury resort poolside. 

On 5/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, NE John said:

Cards are:

Easy to get misplaced/lost (especially on an excursion)

Annoying to dig out of a wallet/handbag for each drink or purchase 

Finding the right pocket for it is a pain

Remembering where to put it every night is a challenge 

My card was annoying to have on me at all times - including locking myself out of my stateroom!

That's why I find wearing a lanyard accommodating.

On my NCL cruise a lanyard was included in my photo package, but didn't know (and was never told) I could get it as soon as got onboard; so I forgot about it and didn't actually use it until day 12 or so of the cruise.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:42 PM, NE John said:

I too do not want to experience a smart phone centered voyage like many of us on these boards have already made clear. 

Yes, this what I particularly find annoying about "the future of cruising" and smartphone apps.

One is supposed to be off the grid, somewhat.

Unless, I'm taking pictures, my phone is my room.

• Like 1

Being currently onboard QM2 at the time of this posting, they definitely need to prioritize catching up on general repairs and maintenance, before investing in any major alterations to the ship.  As someone who loves this ship, it pains me to say that she is currently in the worst state of repair that I have seen the ship in to date.  They really need to strip the hull down to bare metal from deck 7 down and fully repair the extensive rust damage around many of the ship's windows.  The glass paneled wind walls on the terraced back part of the ship have extensive rust damage.  Given the age of the ship, the lifts throughout the ship should have their buttons and indicator displays replaced or updated, and some of the banged up and deeply scratched lift doors should be replaced.  The steel handrails around deck 7 should have the layers of paint stripped to metal and repainted.  They should replace all of the light fixtures in the corridor on deck 9.  They are still using compact fluorescent bulbs in these fixtures that have discolored the lamp shades, making most of these shades look terrible, hardly fitting to be outside the doors of some of the ships most expensive suites.  They could stand to repair or replace the mechanicals of the individual cabin climate control systems.  The blower on the one for my cabin sounds like a helicopter.  I think that all of the time that the ship spent in "warm layup" with only a skeleton crew put the ships engineering team in a difficult situation where they are having to play catch up on routine repairs and maintenance which didn't occur during covid.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roland787 said:

Being currently onboard QM2 at the time of this posting, they definitely need to prioritize catching up on general repairs and maintenance, before investing in any major alterations to the ship.  As someone who loves this ship, it pains me to say that she is currently in the worst state of repair that I have seen the ship in to date.  They really need to strip the hull down to bare metal from deck 7 down and fully repair the extensive rust damage around many of the ship's windows.  The glass paneled wind walls on the terraced back part of the ship have extensive rust damage.  Given the age of the ship, the lifts throughout the ship should have their buttons and indicator displays replaced or updated, and some of the banged up and deeply scratched lift doors should be replaced.  The steel handrails around deck 7 should have the layers of paint stripped to metal and repainted.  They should replace all of the light fixtures in the corridor on deck 9.  They are still using compact fluorescent bulbs in these fixtures that have discolored the lamp shades, making most of these shades look terrible, hardly fitting to be outside the doors of some of the ships most expensive suites.  They could stand to repair or replace the mechanicals of the individual cabin climate control systems.  The blower on the one for my cabin sounds like a helicopter.  I think that all of the time that the ship spent in "warm layup" with only a skeleton crew put the ships engineering team in a difficult situation where they are having to play catch up on routine repairs and maintenance which didn't occur during covid.  

Yikes, boarding in 2 weeks. This does not sound good!!

7 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Yikes, boarding in 2 weeks. This does not sound good!!

We were on last September and there was some concern but she look good as always.

We have to remember she is constantly in service and goes thru alot.

We are boarding in 41 days and do admit we will see work that will be needed.

Rust needs work but doesn't spoil fun on board.

We also have to remember she is not also just out of the factory.

Bon Voyage in 2 weeks..

We board 4 weeks after u.

DaisyUK,

My previous comment was merely my opinion of QM2's present state, as compared against my previous 20 or so sailings on her, and what areas I would place attention to during a dry dock period.  It was not my intent to worry future passengers.  I'm sure that you will have a lovely time aboard QM2!  She is still my favorite ship, and I am happy to be onboard till we reach NYC, and I am looking forward to sailing her again over Christmas / New Years, to go to the Caribbean.  The crew on QM2 are fantastic, so in the unlikely event you were to find anything out of order with your stateroom, they will quickly get it sorted out for you.  This morning, they replaced the broken part in the air condoning unit for my cabin, so no more helicopter noise.  I think the pandemic shutdown likely led to most if not all passenger ships becoming behind on some of their day-to-day upkeep and general maintenance.  A current table mate of mine recently sailed on the Norwegian Dawn, and she said practically everything on that ship was either broken or in some state of significant disrepair and she was happy to be back onboard QM2.

• Like 3

Much better internet. 

Total refurbishment of the spa. It looks really tired. Take note from the Edge class celebrity ships. 

Removal of all of the rust outside and more repainting. 

Cutting edge lights, lasers and dance floors in G32 (which I otherwise much prefer to the Yacht Club). 

I’d also suggest thinking about how to give the Verandah more of a wow factor. 

3 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Cutting edge lights, lasers and dance floors in G32 (which I otherwise much prefer to the Yacht Club).

Not sure what difference lights and lasers make to ones dancing, but please leave the floor alone!

I think it was wood and we found it absolutely fine for dancing on.