Formal dining.

Stampgizmo

Yes, but formal wear is no longer required in the dining rooms.  The menus will be slightly elevated such as small lobster tails.  Not really an event anymore, just basically the same old, same old.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, memoak said:

Formal night  menus 

will feature things like escargot, lobster etc.

Not on all ships/itineraries.

Currently on Sky and the menues are no different from any other night

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I think that all ships and all itineraries will have elevated menus, but they may not be on Formal or Dress to Impress nights.  It is unclear to me why the sip will have regular menus on Formal Night, but have escargot and Surf-n-Turf or Beef Wellington on Smart Casual nights, but it is definitely happening. 

Irrespective of the menu, your cruise will have a Formal Night with the Captain's Greeting and the Champagne Tower and the opportunity to have photos taken of you all dressed up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Currently on Sky and the menues are no different from any other night

I have been on 5 cruises and 4 different ships since the restart and every one of them have elevated menus on formal night. If the Sky does not serve lobster, beef Wellington etc  Then I would avoid that ship. The only cruises I have ever seen without these are little 3-4 day cruises

The menu's on the Sky I've been reading have been less than impressive compared to any of the other ships. Formal or casual evenings. 

Since the OP is considering December, I wonder if that's a Christmas cruise.  I was once told that formal night at that season is more elevated than the rest of the year.  Anyone know?

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

Since the OP is considering December, I wonder if that's a Christmas cruise.  I was once told that formal night at that season is more elevated than the rest of the year.  Anyone know?

Our last cruise before the pause was in the Caribbean and ended on 12/19.  So it didn't capture the actual week of Christmas, but was close.  I do not remember the dining being any different.  Lots of Christmas décor, but the Formal Nights seemed to be the same as we had experienced in the past. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kay S said:

It has been a long time, but the Christmas cruise we were on had Formal Night on Christmas Eve, but Dec 25 Christmas itself was definitely a smart casual, befitting a family celebration with lots of young people.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stampgizmo said:

We are cruising on the ruby in December. As we haven’t cruised princess in a while, I’m wondering if they’re stilll formal nights??

Um ... we were on a b2b2b followed with an Alaskan cruise on another Princess ship.  There were six formal nights in total.  I did pack a tie, but I only used it once.  But I did use the same blazer on each of the formal nights.

9 hours ago, memoak said:

I have been on 5 cruises and 4 different ships since the restart and every one of them have elevated menus on formal night. If the Sky does not serve lobster, beef Wellington etc  Then I would avoid that ship. The only cruises I have ever seen without these are little 3-4 day cruises

Even if this were true for the Sky on some trip or trips, one should not assume will be the same whenever a contemplated voyage is being booked.  I see no reason to avoid booking a ship for such a reason as menus do change over time anyway.

• Like 2

This is good information. I don't mind wearing a suit tbh, and packing a jacket isn't really that hard, but bringing shoes to match are a hassle and just take up a lot of space and weight (why are men's dress shoes so heavy?) in my luggage. So if I don't have to bring them, I won't.

On formal nights, I wear dark solid-color Tommy Bahama camp shirts, and black slacks along with solid black Nike Pegasus shoes (which go unnoticed). I've never been turned away from the MDRs yet. 🫰

There is no way I would pack dress shoes for a few evenings over a two-week cruise and I no longer own a tie. I live in Hawaii and its punishment enough to have to put on long pants after 4-5 years in nothing but shorts.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Teechur said:

There is no way I would pack dress shoes for a few evenings over a two-week cruise and I no longer own a tie. I live in Hawaii and its punishment enough to have to put on long pants after 4-5 years in nothing but shorts.

Maybe you can answer a question.  I was once told that certain kind of Hawaiian shirt was considered formal wear in Hawaii because the weather prevents gentlemen from dressing up in stuffy tuxedos.  I always wondered if  that was true.  

6 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Maybe you can answer a question.  I was once told that certain kind of Hawaiian shirt was considered formal wear in Hawaii because the weather prevents gentlemen from dressing up in stuffy tuxedos.  I always wondered if  that was true.  

The ones with an embossed pattern on a solid color work as dressy casual here. Multi-colored shirts not so much. 

On 5/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, memoak said:

Beef Wellington? You won't see this on a ship unless I cook it.2021ThanksgivingBeefWellington.thumb.jpg.9e3f5041600a5134beb2a25c11cf175a.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow, just on the point!! 👍

IMG_1401.thumb.JPG.a0be456e8b5c8c2a2894750742c50f74.JPG

923_20220623_175909.thumb.jpg.b3ddfcdda956915d8819aee209c4aa40.jpg
Princess versions

On the last cruise (Sapphire Alaska April / May), Beef Wellington wasn't served on a formal evening. It came one day later on the menu.

Edited by EDVM96

Just got off the Discovery a few weeks ago and my husband went Hawaiian formal on formal night. Just cargo pants and Hawaiian shirt. Yes, we were in Mexico but formal night was very much not formal and we were in Club Class so looks like a lot less formal than before. Some folks were formal, but it was not necessary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Just got off the Discovery a few weeks ago and my husband went Hawaiian formal on formal night. Just cargo pants and Hawaiian shirt. Yes, we were in Mexico but formal night was very much not formal and we were in Club Class so looks like a lot less formal than before. Some folks were formal, but it was not necessary.

Hawaiian formal.  I like that.

Formal nights aren't what they used to be.  I'm not mourning that change.  Sure, they call them formal nights, and depending on the itinerary and the type of cruiser, the evening is either filled with sparkly dresses and a lot of dark suits and tuxes or... not.

If you show up clean and presentable, pants without holes in them, no shorts, maybe a decent pair of shoes that doesn't show your toes, you'll be admitted into the dining room.

• Like 1