Questions about fixed dining times

Just booked on Grandeur. My Time Dining was unavailable, so I chose the 8 pm fixed time, although I'm on the waitlist for MTD. I've never done fixed time dining before. I've requested a table for 2, and was told that is not guaranteed. In your experience, have you had to share a larger table?

Also, how does the MTD wait list work? Will Royal contact me if an opening comes up or will I need to follow up?

Thanks all!

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

Just booked on Grandeur. My Time Dining was unavailable, so I chose the 8 pm fixed time, although I'm on the waitlist for MTD. I've never done fixed time dining before. I've requested a table for 2, and was told that is not guaranteed. In your experience, have you had to share a larger table?

Also, how does the MTD wait list work? Will Royal contact me if an opening comes up or will I need to follow up?

Thanks all!

Almost always due traditional  /fixed time.  Like having the same wsit staff every night who know our preferences.   We also like a table of 6 or 8 as we like to meet new people, but that is your choice.  Have never done the waitlist.

Just now, njkruzer said:

Almost always due traditional  /fixed time.  Like having the same wsit staff every night who know our preferences.   We also like a table of 6 or 8 as we like to meet new people, but that is your choice.  Have never done the waitlist.

That's nice, but didn't answer either of my questions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

In your experience, have you had to share a larger table?

No.

You need to keep checking to see if wait list clears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Thanks all!

Whether we have TD or MTD we always go to the MDR when we first board the ship and search out a table for two in a location we like. Then we request that table with whoever is taking dining requests at that time. Our requests have always been honored.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just on Explorer.  I got a two-top.  Seemed like there were several two-tops.  I'm on Vision in August and have requested a two-top.  We'll see.  I have the 5:30 dining.  

In the past, my mother and I shared a table with others.  We didn't request a two-top.  When we did MTD we got a two-top.  MTD was different then.  We had the same table every night.  We just showed up and went to our table.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Was that on the Vision class? I wonder if they have as many of the two tops as the newer ships.

No, to be fair, I pretty much only sail larger ships so I can't tell you if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

Thanks all!

We had late dining on grandeur and waitlisted for MTD. Cruise is in July. A few weeks ago I happened to look at the planner on line ( not the app) and saw that I could make MTD reservations. I have no idea when the dining was changed to MTD. There was no communication from RCCL. 

Regarding a two-top, we’ve been accommodated every cruise, large or small ship, MTD or traditional dining, pre or post Covid.  
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the 4 top tables are actually 2 tops slid together.

Also if you have to stay on late traditional it is always the least selected option so much easier to accommodate.

Hopefully you will get your MTD waitlist option

• Thanks 1

I have a semi-related question. 

I sail on the Wonder June 4th. I have the UDP, but plan to eat at the MDR only on Lobster night. We have fixed dining time of 7:45. I checked the planner and MTD is currently sold out. 

If we do MDR at 7:45, would we be able to make it to a 9:15 Seasons Ice show?

2 minutes ago, oggy6 said:

I sail on the Wonder June 4th. I have the UDP, but plan to eat at the MDR only on Lobster night. We have fixed dining time of 7:45. I checked the planner and MTD is currently sold out. 

Advise your wait staff, set the pace and they keep the food and drinks coming.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:02 AM, Biker19 said:

No.

You need to keep checking to see if wait list clears.

Today I called Royal's automated assistant and requested a new cruise confirmation. The new one says "my time dining".  Problem solved!

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, oggy6 said:

In the past I would have said yes. But based on my last 5 cruises over the past few months (Grandeur twice, Harmony, Freedom and Mariner) I would say no. For whatever reason, and maybe we have just been unlucky, service in the MDR has significantly slowed down lately. It is taking close to two hours every night in the MDR, including several times when we asked if they could speed things up so we could make a show. 

Lobster night is the busiest and slowest night in the MDR. If you talk to your waiter, they will try to get you out. 

For the Ice Shows, we like to show up about a half hour early to get good seats. 

On 5/25/2023 at 8:57 AM, craig01020 said:

Thanks all!

Craig

We always do MTD and have been waitlisted a couple of times. In those instances, we head right to the maitre'd when we board the ship and he has always taken care of whatever preferences we wanted. We have never been 'shut out' of whatever dining we wanted. 

Most of the tables these days are set up for dining for 2. They may be right on top of other tables for 2, but they are set for 2. You should have no problem with that. We love sharing tables as we love to meet many new people, but when they ask if anyone wants to share, they are few and far between these days, so they can never 'make' you share a table if you don't want to. You may have to wait a few minutes for a table to open up, but they will always honor your request.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:40 AM, moposh said:

I was just on Explorer.  I got a two-top.  Seemed like there were several two-tops.  I'm on Vision in August and have requested a two-top.  We'll see.  I have the 5:30 dining.  

In the past, my mother and I shared a table with others.  We didn't request a two-top.  When we did MTD we got a two-top.  MTD was different then.  We had the same table every night.  We just showed up and went to our table.  

And I still do this.  3 post shutdown cruises with MTD.  Picked out a table on day one and had the same table & staff every night, no waiting, just walked right in.

Edited by poocher

On 5/25/2023 at 8:57 AM, craig01020 said:

... I've never done fixed time dining before. I've requested a table for 2, and was told that is not guaranteed. In your experience, have you had to share a larger table? ... 

We did a last-minute cruise recently, and -- although we strongly prefer My Time -- we were forced to take Traditional Dining.  It was okay, but here are a couple notes on our experience: 

- Although I had emailed and requested a 2-top (received no response), we were assigned to a large table. 

- Upon boarding the ship we checked the dining room and saw we were assigned to a large table.  We asked the Head Waiter (who was on hand for just this type of request) for a change, and he granted it immediately.  The 2-top we were given was not in a great location, but we were pleased enough.  

- This experience definitely reinforced our preference for My Time.  With Traditional, we had to be ready at a specific time (whereas they're more flexible with My Time), and each evening we were part of a large group waiting outside for the doors to be opened.  We like the flexibility of My Time.  

Yes, you'll make it without difficulty. 

If you're ever "cutting it too close", you can skip dessert (and go to the Windjammer later) or you can ask for your dessert "to go". 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:00 AM, njkruzer said:

Almost always due traditional  /fixed time.  Like having the same wsit staff every night who know our preferences.   

We created our own fixed time during MTD on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. 5 pm was too early, and 8 pm was too late, so we did a standing MTD reservation for a party of 6 for 6:45 pm, and had the same table with the same waitstaff every single night.