Passports for Closed Loop cruise that includes Roatan and Belize

byrdbrain55

I am getting conflicting information about whether passports are required for a closed loop cruise embarking/returning from Fort Lauderdale with ports in Roatan and Belize.  Since it is a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, it should be okay to travel with WHTI-approved documents (birth certificates, etc) and photo ID.  There is a little caveat on the website that says if you stop in Central or South America, you must travel with a passport.  I have a passport but one of the people in our group was planning on traveling with a birth certificate.  Has anyone RECENTLY traveled to the Caribbean with stops in Roatan or Belize without a passport?

I do not need a lecture about how you should always travel with a passport.  I have one and I strongly encouraged this person to get one while we still had time.  He still may be able to get an expedited passport but this is stress none of us need right before our vacation.  Right now, we can't get anyone to answer the phone to set up an appointment for an expedited and they don't do walk-ins.

Thanks in advance!  

3 minutes ago, byrdbrain55 said:

I am getting conflicting information about whether passports are required for a closed loop cruise embarking/returning from Fort Lauderdale with ports in Roatan and Belize.  Since it is a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, it should be okay to travel with WHTI-approved documents (birth certificates, etc) and photo ID.  There is a little caveat on the website that says if you stop in Central or South America, you must travel with a passport.  I have a passport but one of the people in our group was planning on traveling with a birth certificate.  Has anyone RECENTLY traveled to the Caribbean with stops in Roatan or Belize without a passport?

I do not need a lecture about how you should always travel with a passport.  I have one and I strongly encouraged this person to get one while we still had time.  He still may be able to get an expedited passport but this is stress none of us need right before our vacation.  Right now, we can't get anyone to answer the phone to set up an appointment for an expedited and they don't do walk-ins.

Thanks in advance!  

I would check with each country to see if they require one. When I sailed to Brazil years ago we needed passport plus visa. Best to check with each country 

Belize and Roatan had, at one point, an agreement for cruise passengers that did not require passports.  I do not know if that still stands.  I am aware that most, if not all, South American countries require passports and visas.

10 minutes ago, byrdbrain55 said:

I have not recently traveled to those countries without a passport because I would not do that but those countries don’t require a passport for closed loop cruise. A birth certificate and DL as photo ID will be fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have not recently traveled to those countries without a passport because I would not do that but those countries don’t require a passport for closed loop cruise. A birth certificate and DL as photo ID will be fine. 

The Princess app is only allowing us to add a passport.  I was under the impression he would be fine with a birth certificate too.  Do you have any recent first hand knowledge of anyone using just a birth certificate?

1 minute ago, byrdbrain55 said:

The Princess app is only allowing us to add a passport.  I was under the impression he would be fine with a birth certificate too.  Do you have any recent first hand knowledge of anyone using just a birth certificate?

I believe the app will only allow that for any sailing. 

Guest ldtr

What does Princess say?  It really does not matter what the countries say.  The countries  may allow it, but if Princess says that you need a passport then you need a passport.  If they say you are fine with a Birth certificate and DL then that is fine.  So the best answer is to contact the cruise line direct.

Edited by ldtr

17 minutes ago, ldtr said:

What does Princess say?  It really does not matter what the countries say.  The countries  may allow it, but if Princess says that you need a passport then you need a passport.  If they say you are fine with a Birth certificate and DL then that is fine.  So the best answer is to contact the cruise line direct.

Actually it does matter what countries say. Colombia requires vaccinations or negative tests for a ship to dock. Without those things no one can leave a ship there. So Princess follows those rules. A cruise company cannot flaunt countries rules

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I believe the app will only allow that for any sailing. 

We are in a closed loop to Alaska shortly.   We had the option of entering multiple proofs of citizenship and Govt ID.   
I would assume from the lack of choices, a passport is required.   I know assuming is risky.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

We are in a closed loop to Alaska shortly.   We had the option of entering multiple proofs of citizenship and Govt ID.   
I would assume from the lack of choices, a passport is required.   I know assuming is risky.

I would not assume. I do know that many have done those 2 ports with a birth certificate but OP should contact Princess. Princess could have their own rule even though the US and those two countries don’t require a passport. If I were OP I would tell the person that was encouraged to get a passport who had time and who is causing the stress get an expedited passport or stay home. 

Guest ldtr
28 minutes ago, memoak said:

Actually it does matter what countries say. Colombia requires vaccinations or negative tests for a ship to dock. Without those things no one can leave a ship there. So Princess follows those rules. A cruise company cannot flaunt countries rules

This topic is not about any of those things so you are kind of going into the absurd interpretation of my statement.

Certainly a cruise line may not be less restrictive than a country, but they can be more restrictive. 

A country can say that they will allow birth certificates and DL, but the cruise line may say that they require a passport.  For example Oceania requires passports, even when a Birth certificate might work.

In this case the topic was not about covid, immunizations and other restrictions, but only about passports vs birth certificates vs DL.  The enforcer of whatever is needed will be the cruise line.  They will have checked and know the countries requirements for US citizens.  If they say you need a passport then you will need a passport to board the cruise, if they say you need 6 months on it, then you need 6 months even if countries will accept less.  In this case if the cruise line says you can board with a birth certificate and DL then that will certainly be acceptable to the visited countries.

Again if in doubt best to check with the cruise line about this specific cruise.

Edited by ldtr

30 minutes ago, Potstech said:

They must need to be ready with alternative plans if they are turned away at the pier.  It has happened.

“I was told…” won’t do any good if the ship sails without you.  Really, this friend of the OP needs to find out the rules and follow them. 

I can not answer for a closed loop cruise from FLL.  I can only give you my experience last week.

My cabin mate was also under the impression that her real ID would be good enough to do a closed loop for a Los Angeles Coastal that stopped in Ensenada.  I made her go home and get her passport.  

She questioned the agent about needing a passport.  He said (and I was there) that she would not have been allowed to board the ship without her passport because they were stopping in Mexico.

I realize that FLL is a different state, itinerary is different, and agents are different.  I reminded her to bring her passport the night before.  Good luck with your friend's decision not to get a passport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My cabin mate was also under the impression that her real ID would be good enough to do a closed loop for a Los Angeles Coastal that stopped in Ensenada.  I made her go home and get her passport.  

The DL would have been good with a birth cetificate. A DL unless it is an EDL  alone is not good enough.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Just now, Charles4515 said:

The DL would have been good with a birth cetificate. A DL alone is not good enough.

He did not ask for a birth certificate.  He specifically stated that without a passport, she wouldn't be boarding this ship.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kay S said:

“I was told…” won’t do any good if the ship sails without you.  Really, this friend of the OP needs to find out the rules and follow them. 

I know this might be easier said than done but OP should leave the responsibility to the person.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

He did not ask for a birth certificate.  He specifically stated that without a passport, she wouldn't be boarding this ship.

Hundreds of thousands have taken closed loop cruises to Mexico with birth certificates. What was specifically stated was wrong. If she had a birth certificate and the agent said no she would have had to ask for a supervisor. She would have been allowed to board with a DL and birth certificate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Hundreds of thousands have taken closed loop cruises to Mexico with birth certificates. What was specifically stated was wrong. If she had a birth certificate and the agent said no she would have had to ask for a supervisor. She would have been allowed to board with a DL and birth certificate. 

Well, if he told her she wouldn't board without the passport, I would take him at his word.  He was the guy at the gate, not you.  "Charles told me" aren't magic words.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Well, if he told her she wouldn't board without the passport, I would take him at his word.  He was the guy at the gate, not you.  "Charles told me" aren't magic words.

There is always a supervisor. Certainly you have not gotten through life accepting what some low level functionary or phone agent tells you as gospel have you? You always take the word of the first person you talk to if it is important? Those gate agents are contracted out. They don't have final authority. 

@Ferry_Watcher

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is always a supervisor. Certainly you have not gotten through life accepting what some low level functionary or phone agent tells you as gospel have you? You always take the word of the first person you talk to if it is important? Those gate agents are contracted out. They don't have final authority. 

Mute Point.  I am just relaying my recent experience. She had a passport that she left at home.  We retrieved it and boarded the ship.  We were already "late" and I was not about to stand my ground for an issue that was resolved by her having her passport.

• Like 1

The US State Department has a search engine for each country that includes entry and exit requirements (plus lots of other useful information).

For those countries that belong to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)  (I chose the French West Indies:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/FrenchWestIndies.html.html?wcmmode=disabled) they include the following note under Passports and Visas:

NOTE: Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. However, should you need to disembark due to an emergency and you do not have a valid passport, you may encounter difficulties entering or remaining in a foreign country. You may also have difficulty attempting to re-enter the United States by air because many airlines will require a valid passport before allowing you to board the aircraft. Always travel abroad with your valid passport.

Belize (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Belize.html) and Honduras (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Honduras.html) do not belong to the Initiative and have no such note.  Instead their sections state

You must have a U.S. passport valid for the length of your stay (Belize)...

To enter Honduras, you need: A U.S. passport with at least three months validity...

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thank you all for your replies.  We have a call into Princess to confirm if a passport is needed or if the Birth Certificate and ID will suffice.  I have read all of the Princess FAQs about what documents are needed and the US State Department info on the ports.  I also know that Belize and Honduras had an agreement to allow cruise passengers without passports at one point.  Multiple other cruise lines (Carnival, Holland America, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian) all allow birth certificates and ID for closed loop cruises that include Roatan and Belize.  I just want to know if anyone has personal recent experience with Princess on this particular itinerary.

I know that it comes down to whatever Princess says.  Hopefully he can get an expedited passport.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

IMy cabin mate was also under the impression that her real ID would be good enough to do a closed loop for a Los Angeles Coastal that stopped in Ensenada.  I made her go home and get her passport.  

She questioned the agent about needing a passport.  He said (and I was there) that she would not have been allowed to board the ship without her passport because they were stopping in Mexico.

The agent was flat out wrong that a passport is required for a closed loop California Coastal cruise with foreign ports only in Mexico.

There are multiple Real ID compliant documents, from a driver license to a passport.  Assuming you're talking about a driver license, it alone would have been sufficient only if an EDL.  If not an EDL, a valid driver license and official government issued birth certificate would be sufficient, as it has been for the hundreds of thousands or millions of people who didn't get passports because their 3-5 day booze cruises to Mexico will be the only time they ever leave the US.

3 hours ago, byrdbrain55 said:

Thanks in advance!  

Have you checked the travel summary for your booking?  It should give the requirements for the specific itinerary, including any Princess requirements that are stricter than the destinations' requirements. 

I'd rely on written Princess requirements for your itinerary before anything a phone agent says because they're notorious for giving incorrect info.

Edited by DallasGuy75219