Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

We bring a small collapsible hamper--one time I tossed an item of clothing on the floor underneath the hangers because I was going to put it in the bag to send out with our laundry. The cabin steward came in and cleaned the bathroom and in the process of grabbing the used towels carried off my clothing with them. And it was never seen again! We also bring Shoe Glue, a denture repair kit, a multi tool (pliers etc), a champagne stopper, duct tape wrapped around an old pen--and probably every pill known to mankind including lots of Nyquil and Dayquil because one of us always gets the sniffles. But most stuff we bring in small quantities in little mini zip bags so doesn't take up too much room.

• Like 5

Just now, CHK said:

We bring a small collapsible hamper--one time I tossed an item of clothing on the floor underneath the hangers because I was going to put it in the bag to send out with our laundry. The cabin steward came in and cleaned the bathroom and in the process of grabbing the used towels carried off my clothing with them. And it was never seen again! We also bring Shoe Glue, a denture repair kit, a multi tool (pliers etc), a champagne stopper, duct tape wrapped around an old pen--and probably every pill known to mankind including lots of Nyquil and Dayquil because one of us always gets the sniffles. But most stuff we bring in small quantities in little mini zip bags so doesn't take up too much room.

I knew someone would mention a laundry hamper!

• Like 3

I always take a couple trash bags. Those tiny trash cans are never big enough for a family of 4 even when changed every day and I hate leaving a overflowing pile of trash for the steward to mess with. 

Also flip flops to wear around the room. I'm sure housekeeping does their best to keep the carpets clean, but just like with hotels, some bodily fluids just can't be vacuumed up and I don't want to walk in it with my bare feet and then snuggle up to it when I get under the covers in bed!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KatRangoon said:

I always take a couple trash bags. Those tiny trash cans are never big enough for a family of 4 even when changed every day and I hate leaving a overflowing pile of trash for the steward to mess with. 

Also flip flops to wear around the room. I'm sure housekeeping does their best to keep the carpets clean, but just like with hotels, some bodily fluids just can't be vacuumed up and I don't want to walk in it with my bare feet and then snuggle up to it when I get under the covers in bed!

39 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Does anyone take a stapler with them for luggage tags?

No. Reusable baggage tag holders.

https://www.amazon.com/Highwind-Suitcases-Compatible-Celebrity-Essentials/dp/B017BVF8L6/ref=asc_df_B017BVF8L6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198102652462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2545479506281473019&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010904&hvtargid=pla-407616990154&psc=1

• Like 4

I have sadly moved on.  No more zip lock bags for me.  Progressed to those bags that have the sliders.  And I have the perfect containers for my peanut butter cookies so that they don't crumble.  

How do you donate clothes at the end of the cruise?  

• Like 2

I suppose most of my stuff isn't considered especially odd after reading previous replies. We typically will bring baggies, magnets, laundry detergent, snacks, etc. I take my pillow anytime we travel. I use a down pillow so it smashes down in my suit case no problem.

But the oddest thing I bring is 12x12 scrapbooking envelopes so I can sort items I collect for my scrapbooks. Each port has its own folder; they usually have items in them when we board from my research before hand. And I bring a notebook so I can journal each day and put in said folders. By doing this most of my stuff is organized when I get home. Makes scrapbooking our adventures so much easier. (I do this for land based vacations also)

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, cruzinfamilyof4 said:

But the oddest thing I bring is 12x12 scrapbooking envelopes so I can sort items I collect for my scrapbooks. Each port has its own folder; they usually have items in them when we board from my research before hand. And I bring a notebook so I can journal each day and put in said folders. By doing this most of my stuff is organized when I get home. Makes scrapbooking our adventures so much easier. (I do this for land based vacations also)

I don’t know if it’s odd. But as far as I’m concerned you win. it’s the best thing in this thread I think. What a fab idea. I’ve been thinking about doing a scrapbook for our Norway cruise. Thank you so much for this 😃 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As I recall that started in Charlston, SC on a X cruise, saw a secondhand store near our hotel before boarding, so, post cruise, dropped it off the night before the flight home.

As far as on the cruise, If not on an excursion, we like to walk around the port area and I have dropped off at a donation store or box. These days, you can use a smartphone and locate donation spots near the ports. 

If it's something nice, but doesn't work for you anymore, ask your Steward if they would like it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Maybe I’m not quite as thorough as that! Makes me think though that I should be wiping more areas. Maybe even walls?

The opinion express below does not reflect the view of Cruise Critic, my wife, the government, or possibly anybody else in the universe but it's mine and I'm sticking to it.

I think people bringing wipes with them everywhere they go indicates they are somewhat paranoid.  Yes, there may be germs or viruses on surfaces but in 99.9% of cases the germ or virus will not make you sick.  

Look - life is for living.  How can you live if you think everything you touch is going to kill you with the alleged germs or viruses on it

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have sadly moved on.  No more zip lock bags for me.  Progressed to those bags that have the sliders.  And I have the perfect containers for my peanut butter cookies so that they don't crumble.  

I guess I am showing my age, I also use the sliders but still call them zip lock. I have not used them but friends bring collapsible containers .

On a recent Alaska cruise we brought an old jacket and boots, hats and left them behind for room for new items. I imagine they were tossed. I never thought of donating. 

Good ideas floating here.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bunch of experienced cruisers here.

Ok, other than She Who Must Be Obeyed, the oddest thing I have taken on a cruise was a folding camp chair in a bag   Since Princess pulled the barrel chairs out, if I have an opportunity to buy one near the port, I'll carry it on.  More comfortable than sitting on the bed in my cheap Luxury Inside Suite.  At the end of the cruise, I donate it to the crew.

Screenshot_20230601-182001~2.png

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 12

I also bring some wipes.  Just a quick wipe of all surfaces, switches and the remote while waiting for the bags and to meet the room steward.  Just the first day, one and done.  I look at it this way, if a bar tender uses their finger to stir my drink and even though 99.9% of the germs on the finger may not kill me or make me sick, I'm not going to drink it.  There have been a lot of fingers in the cabin before I make it my home. 😄

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 2MellowCruisers said:

I also bring some wipes.  Just a quick wipe of all surfaces, switches and the remote while waiting for the bags and to meet the room steward.  Just the first day, one and done.  I look at it this way, if a bar tender uses their finger to stir my drink and even though 99.9% of the germs on the finger may not kill me or make me sick, I'm not going to drink it.  There have been a lot of fingers in the cabin before I make it my home. 😄

We/I have carried wipes for years.  We used to get some sidelong glances when we'd get on a plane and wipe down the armrests, seatbelt buckles, and tray tables.  In hotels/ships we would wipe down the light switches, the remote, and door handles.

Since 2020 we are mainstream.

But, we don't get sick and haven't for years.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Does anyone take a stapler with them for luggage tags?

If you are at a hotel prior they will usually let you use one. We have luggage tag hll on holders the tags go inside 

• Like 2

I really enjoy International Delight mini coffee creamers, especially French Vanilla or Hazelnut. I have brought some along on cruises, they don’t take up much space. Even some of the questionable-tasting coffees become better with International Delight!

image.jpeg.1fab5699d4a44ed0fe95f823782c1d0e.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kay S said:

A dental repair kit.  You can get them at the drugstore.

7 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

dental kit

Well, I can't believe I've never heard of this!  My partner has crowns that fall out.  We used to joke that we knew we were on vacation if a crown fell out.  Thanks for the info!  Adding to my list.  Actually going out shopping tonight for a cruise on Monday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

Forgot the numero uno. Clothes washer sheets very compact and eliminate the need to use the ships All detergent

We took these on our last cruise and they were great!  So easy to pack and easy to use.  They also work great for spot cleaning in the sink.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

Forgot the numero uno. Clothes washer sheets very compact and eliminate the need to use the ships All detergent

I haven't done my own laundry in years.  But do bring some laundry sheets for my sister.  And a sample packet of ALL for hand laundry.  AND...dishwashing soap (same idea as the laundry sheets) for those room service items I want to wash/keep or my water bottle.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2MellowCruisers said:

crowns that fall out

I asked my dentist about using a dental repair kit for one of my crowns, when we were going on an extended vacation.  He said not to use them as the subsequent removal of the crown would be extremely difficult.  He suggested taking polident (a fixative for securing dentures).  Telling me it would hold the crown securely and he would be able to refix the crown on my return.

Fortunately my crown “behaved” and I didn’t need to use anything.

I would double check with a quick call to your dentist to see what is recommended.  Crowns are expensive and you wouldn’t want to damage it.

Edited by Sarnia 432
Autocorrect!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I always bring a big soft fluffy pair of socks to wear in the cabin, instead of slippers.  Sometimes DH has the cabin a bit cold and it's easy to slide the socks on to warm my feet up.  

I also bring a highlighter to use on my Patter.

• Like 3