Shorts in the dinning room

6 minutes ago, cruise_co said:

Just out of curiosity, for those that do not like shorts in the dining room, if you flew to the port or when you do fly, did/do you also don a suit and tie or a dress, heels and white gloves? This was also the dress code of airlines a few years ago.

What happened to the glamour of air travel? - The Boston Globe

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/columnist/2023/06/16/airport-plane-dress-code/70321079007/

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

And? That is just someone's opinion that airlines need dress codes. Just like it is people's opinions on here that people should not wear shorts in the dining room. 

Several decades ago, both cruising and airline travel were a luxury item and people dressed as such. But much like the airlines have removed gourmet food and luxury seats and now thow you a bag of nuts and crammed seats so close together a tall person can lick their knobby knees, so have the cruise lines removed gourmet food, midnight buffets, and other "luxury" items.

Every generation laments the change in dress preference. I still remember the day in 6th grade when we were finally allowed to wear pants to school. I was thrilled to wear my new polyester pant suit.  My grandmother was horrified. She had the same attitude, "even if it is allowed now, you should not change."  By my freshman year, I was wearing the bell bottoms that you drug on the ground to get them as frayed as possible along with the crop top peasant blouses to school that was so in fashion. My European grandmother was apoplectic by now. In her eyes, I was a proper raised young lady and should not be wearing pants, period.

Oh well, times change. You either embrace it or you make yourself miserable wishing for things to go back to the "good old days." 

I am glad we just started sailing during the more casual days.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cruise_co said:

Oh well, times change. You either embrace it or you make yourself miserable wishing for things to go back to the "good old days." 

I am glad we just started sailing during the more casual days.  

Our first cruise was in 1980.  Boy was it different!  Formal dress every night and assigned tables for breakfast and lunch, just like dinner.  I don’t remember there being a buffet, but there must have been.  And that was on NCL.

I may be old (almost 70), but I am VERY happy times have changed.  Shorts, jeans or khaki pants are enough.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FPP777 said:

I told my kids (21,22) to dress like they were going to dinner, not Walmart. I also told them not to judge the people dressed like they are going to Walmart.😜

Your kids should ignore your advice. 🤪

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, PGHProducer said:

Can I just chime in that it’s among my pet peeves that so many people can’t spell DINING!?

end rant 

I spell it:  Any meal at a table!  YMMV

Wacky Smiley | escamocha | Smiley emoji, Emoji images, Emoji pictures

25 minutes ago, bigque said:

Hey can someone let me know if you can smoke on your balcony and can you cancel your automatic tips??? 👀🙃

No smoking on you balcony. Fire hazard and will result in a fine. 

You should not cancel your daily service charge. 

37 minutes ago, timfan27 said:

Not to prolong this discussion, but can we wear nice shorts in the specialty restaurants as well? I am referring to golf shorts and polo shirts.

Thanks

Yes, but the self appointed fashion police will sneer and take notes as they are fixated on your knnecaps while they attempt to eat.

Edited by 3CatsInMA
  • Haha 4