Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

For my upcoming August sailing, right after final payment, the few remaining Sky Suites dropped by $4,000pp (not a typo). That was right around the same time that the beverage packages went on sale for 50% off. Be patient. It could be happening.

I expect that you will see some spot discounts after final payment in order to fill ships.  However, todays information out of Carnival indicates that cruise line bookings are extremely strong and with that strength comes pricing power.

Celebrity does provide an excellent cruise experience IMO.  The whole world changed during the pandemic and adjustments had to be made for all of us.  The Celebrity cruises we have been on after COVID have been excellent in all areas.  We love the Edge class as well as the S-Class.  My motto:  Keep on cruising for as long as you can.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, retird said:

We stayed in the infinite verandah on the edge in Feb/23.   The A/C turns off when the window goes down, not when the bifold doors are open.  And the A/C only comes back on when the window is closed not when the bifold doors are closed.   I think what he is referring to in the video, is that if your room is cooled down, you can open the window and by closing the bifolds , the inside portion of the room will maintain its coolness longer while you are enjoying the veranda portion with bifolds closed.   Hope this makes sense

They could make the bifold doors weatherproof.  But given the width of the opening that would probably be too expensive.  So they could replace the bifold doors with an opening of only six feet wide consisting of 2 pains of glass that slide over each other.  Then after you step out, you slide the panes of glass back to the closed position to protect the interior from the exterior weather.  I think I'll apply for a patent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Texed said:

I have been waiting for a massive exodus from Celebrity so prices would fall on the rooms we book.  So far, neither has happened.  😎

Nor will it, people just like to complain but at the end of the day, for the money, Celebrity is still a good value for certain cabin categories.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Nor will it, people just like to complain but at the end of the day, for the money, Celebrity is still a good value for certain cabin categories.

That’s one opinion. The opposite of that is Celebrity, as it is now, doesn’t have any categories of cabins that are good value. That could be said for the whole industry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

That’s one opinion. The opposite of that is Celebrity, as it is now, doesn’t have any categories of cabins that are good value. That could be said for the whole industry.

I just booked B2B Alaska on Millie in an oceanview cabin for less than $350pp for each leg. The taxes were almost as much as the cruise fare, felt like a pretty good value. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

I just booked B2B Alaska on Millie in an oceanview cabin for less than $350pp for each leg. The taxes were almost as much as the cruise fare, felt like a pretty good value. 

Everybody’s opinion may be different. I should have said, for the cruises I might have considered taking, I saw no value.

On 6/10/2023 at 10:44 PM, mahdnc said:

Yes, the two hour window is not new and is something we always managed around because we always had early seating.

To me, the downgrading with this is not having a portion of the Sky Lounge set aside for the Happy Hour anymore with the option for others that didn't want to be there to be able to get their drinks elsewhere. The hors d'oeuvres served there were a nice touch, too. It we also nice to talk to the Captain's Club Hostess there and meet other people.

I know it wasn't for everyone, but I miss it. 

Elite Happy Hour, Solstice Sky Lounge, Jan 1 2020, Tasman Sea

Solstice Captain's Club Hostess, Melissa

What? The Happy Hour has gone away? We haven't cruised Celebrity since before Covid so we weren't aware of this. We really liked it a lot (even though we always had the drink packages). It wasn't about the drinks for us. It was the camaraderie with fellow frequent cruisers and the hors d'oeuvres that we enjoyed every evening. We just booked 3 cruises with Celebrity so this information may have had an impact on our bookings.  Like you, we will miss it.

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 1

Just now, 2chiefs said:

What? The Happy Hour has gone away? We haven't cruised Celebrity since before Covid so we weren't aware of this. We really liked it a lot (even though we always had the drink packages). It wasn't about the drinks for us. It was the camaraderie with fellow frequent cruisers and the hors d'oeuvres that we enjoyed every evening. We just booked 3 cruises with Celebrity so this information may have had an impact on our bookings.  Like you, we will miss it.

The Happy Hour (free selected drinks from 5-7pm or something like that) still exists.  The dedicated location (section in the Sky Lounge) is no longer.

20 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The Happy Hour (free selected drinks from 5-7pm or something like that) still exists.  The dedicated location (section in the Sky Lounge) is no longer.

I realize that as I said in my remarks. I was commenting on the reception. That's what I will miss.

Drinks are a non-issue if one has the drink package.

8 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

I realize that as I said in my remarks. I was commenting on the reception. That's what I will miss.

Drinks are a non-issue if one has the drink package.

Sorry, I understand now.

Guest CoolPapaC

The simple answer to OP is; If you feel you need to ask this question you should, of course, experiment with other lines. Nobody can answer it for you.

The fact there is no forward viewing area for ALL passengers is a Key reason we will not patronize Celebrity, depending on the vessel of course.

The beloved Connie is our favorite cruise ship of all time, followed by the QM2. The QM2 outdoor wings is THE most amazing cruise ship viewing feature on the seas today. 

I cruise to SEE the world.

If I do not have a forward view, the ship is cancelled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

I think that's a fair statement...but personally those aren't the cabins I use. Just comparing the X cruises I took in 2022 vs the same itinerary in 2023, prices are on average 40-50% higher.   I make a reasonable living, but X is pricing me out of their cruises.  Which is their prerogative, just sad for me and my family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 5:36 PM, granddutchess said:

Celebrity does provide an excellent cruise experience IMO.  The whole world changed during the pandemic and adjustments had to be made for all of us.  The Celebrity cruises we have been on after COVID have been excellent in all areas.  We love the Edge class as well as the S-Class.  My motto:  Keep on cruising for as long as you can.

The whole world changed? Really?  Some peoples’ mind changed.  Mine is not (“The anticipation of death is worse than death itself”).

Voyage, Voyage!!!

Edited by kirtihk

I agree wholeheartedly with those who miss the convivial happy hour

or two in The Sky Lounge. It was always very enjoyable and one of

the best ways of meeting fellow cruisers. Even if it was reinstated it

wouldn’t happen, of course, on any Edge Class ship where there is,

regrettably, no forward facing lounge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, montythecat said:

I agree wholeheartedly with those who miss the convivial happy hour

or two in The Sky Lounge. It was always very enjoyable and one of

the best ways of meeting fellow cruisers. Even if it was reinstated it

wouldn’t happen, of course, on any Edge Class ship where there is,

regrettably, no forward facing lounge.

Last month on the Beyond they did the senior officer event in the Eden, clearly not the same but having the event in Eden wasn't bad

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, weregoingcruising said:

Only if your in suite . The prices for insides and ov's still look like a bargain due to being subsidized by suite guests.

And I have seen plenty of deals where AquaClass is actually cheaper than Concierge with the All Included added in. I still think that if you are flexible and like the All Included package included, Celebrity is still a great deal on plenty of itineraries. The E class ships are getting pricy but M and S class deals are all over the place. I just priced a Royal cruise that was almost identical to X and once I added drinks, and WIFI plus the cost of tips, Royal was twice as much. Same for Princess and Holland, once you add in the extras, they are not cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

And I have seen plenty of deals where AquaClass is actually cheaper than Concierge with the All Included added in. I still think that if you are flexible and like the All Included package included, Celebrity is still a great deal on plenty of itineraries. The E class ships are getting pricy but M and S class deals are all over the place. I just priced a Royal cruise that was almost identical to X and once I added drinks, and WIFI plus the cost of tips, Royal was twice as much. Same for Princess and Holland, once you add in the extras, they are not cheaper.

And on Royal they only service your cabin Once a Day now.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:53 PM, artvlay said:

I agree, as well as many as cruiser's we have met the same as you with the exception of the not enforced dress code. Yes they should enforce the rules, but they don't want to be bothered.

They are making cuts to increase their bottom line and know that a certain amount of customers will walk. I'm close to that point.

They have been making cuts since Queen Lisa moved from RCL. That was her job there and her job at Celebrity.  It has been a constant erosion, not drastic, but continual, until you compare the totality. 

That's why, IMO,  they altered some of their marketing to attract the younger, newer "move up" cruiser without CC perks to replace those with costly benefits who they chase off gradually with their erosion. Could that also be contributing to the reason of the unenforced dress code?

As long as the Celebrity demand is still there, the prices will continue to escalate with the perks diminishing until Celebrity needs to adjust for lower demand. I don't believe Celebrity cares about who the consumer is as long as they spend money with them.

When I had my businesses, I knew I would lose come customers when I raised my pricing.  Then I had to estimate how much more I would make at the new rate with the remaining customers for less work while still adding new customers. That's what Celebrity is doing on a much grander scale.

The bottom line for the cruiser is every one has an idea of what they personally will not mind or not tolerate. I know mine.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2023 at 11:29 PM, grandgeezer said:

Value is a personal perception.  A Good Value is different for different people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

The fact there is no forward viewing area for ALL passengers is a Key reason we will not patronize Celebrity, depending on the vessel of course.

The beloved Connie is our favorite cruise ship of all time, followed by the QM2. The QM2 outdoor wings is THE most amazing cruise ship viewing feature on the seas today. 

I cruise to SEE the world.

If I do not have a forward view, the ship is cancelled.

Well that is one way to "look at things"!

X knows all the demographics of Captain's Club members and the profitability of that group. Every perk costs money internally and they weigh the cost vs the benefit to X.  If it doesnt add to X profitability or keeping "profitable" pax then it gets diminished.

X isn't looking for ways to hang onto low profit customers no matter how "loyal" they may be.  Looking at these forums there is no shortage of "where's my free drinks, forward view, I dont use the spa etc" people.  X is not looking to lure those folks back.  They want the land resort crowd that spends money on services and get them onboard an X ship.  

• Like 4

I always get antsy when cruising on the same line again and again.  The loyalty clubs are not an enticement for me to stay with a line.  I do appreciate it, however, if some sort of discount is provided because you are a member.  I have jumped around and traveled on different cruise lines over the years.  Sometimes the line I choose is due to itinerary and other times it because we are looking for a relaxing cruise.  I haven't been on Celebrity for many years but we are consider a cruise next summer with them in the Med.  There is a nice itinerary and we know that overall Celebrity has  a good product.  

• Like 3