Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

I was flamed by a person on a group on facebook because someone asked since they were in the YC but the people they were traveling with were not could they have them join them for dinner few nights.  Some said it could not hurt to ask.  My response was that the OP should not ask as the answer would be no and that would put the staff and the OP in an uncomfortable position.  The person that said it couldn't hurt to ask, ripped into me saying I was what was wrong with the elitist YC guests.  

My response and view on this is very simple.  People pay money to have the YC and the service level in the YC and to expect that someone should be able to join you that hasn't paid is not fair to the other paying guests.  You as a YC guest are free to go join them at a general restaurant or specialty restaurant or other public area.  Simple.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

The way to stop it is close the entry doors behind you, I have said to a couple sorry I don’t recognise you from YC (day 5 of 14) so unless I see your card I will not let you enter with me . Simple if they don’t like it get their own card out and use, if we pay for the privileges they shouldn’t object.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So is there a difference when someone books a steeply reduced in price YC room for the same cruise that other YC cruisers paid full price? Are they also taking something away from the YC experience, having paid less for the same meals, concierge, etc? Would you treat them differently if you knew they were, essentially, “Walmart Yacht Club” cruisers?

Just curious.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

The way to stop it is close the entry doors behind you, I have said to a couple sorry I don’t recognise you from YC (day 5 of 14) so unless I see your card I will not let you enter with me . Simple if they don’t like it get their own card out and use, if we pay for the privileges they shouldn’t object.

Morpheus has pointed out that they're entering thru an outside staircase that's open from deck 19 right up and into the One Pool area.

9 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

So is there a difference when someone books a steeply reduced in price YC room for the same cruise that other YC cruisers paid full price? Are they also taking something away from the YC experience, having paid less for the same meals, concierge, etc? Would you treat them differently if you knew they were, essentially, “Walmart Yacht Club” cruisers?

Just curious.

Of course not. They paid for their "spot".  It doesn't matter what they paid. If they got a great deal with an upgrade bid, good on them.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Of course not. They paid for their "spot".  It doesn't matter what they paid. If they got a great deal with an upgrade bid, good on them.

But the complaint of many seems to be, "Someone shouldn't get what I'm getting when they didn't pay as much for it like I did".

So if someone pays essentially the same price as a high-end balcony, but is in YC, then they certainly didn't pay what others in YC paid. 

So it would seem the complaint is more than just money. Perhaps it is partially status/class based?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

Just curious.

No. The difference is that interlopers are not Yacht Club guests. If a Bella interior guest wins a bid to a Yacht Club stateroom, that person is just as much Yacht Club as someone who books Yacht Club directly.

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

Just curious.

Oh no.  Absolutely not.  I would be slightly envious of their good fortune and admire them for getting a "good deal."  Probably ask them for the name of their TA.  

However, I don't think most people, especially in the YC (nose in the air) discuss price.🤑

Edited by mafig
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Please don't engage. Envious disruptors abound. 

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tscoffey said:

Just curious.

This makes no sense to me.

I am sure you did not pay the same price for your airplane seat as the person next to you.

Does one of you get less peanuts than the other      :O)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I can't speak for "kelleherdl" but I read the response as taking a "...who cares...?" approach was the "...wrong answer..." to the problem of interlopers. It seemed that the suggestion was that Yacht Club guests shouldn't care if there are interlopers as long as the interlopers don't blatantly cause problems

I am back from the gym and dinner.  I missed a lot. 😀

Your supposition on my intent is correct. The immediate antecedent post was the now infamous “who cares”.  Using the quote function can be helpful, but when the post immediately followed I considered it unnecessary. Just so we are all clear, I care. 😀

There's no easy answer....if there is a will, there's a way...

There should be some sort of consequence for their actions -- maybe a monetary amount charged to their state room, something in the amount of "I won't be doing that again".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tscoffey said:

But the complaint of many seems to be, "Someone shouldn't get what I'm getting when they didn't pay as much for it like I did".

So if someone pays essentially the same price as a high-end balcony, but is in YC, then they certainly didn't pay what others in YC paid. 

So it would seem the complaint is more than just money. Perhaps it is partially status/class based?

Absolutely not..the YC has a finite amount of guests..hence the issue with cheaters. There isn’t enough room/servers etc to keep the service where it needs to be. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1