Best Specialty Restaurant

We will be on our first Regent Cruise on Explorer next spring.  On a 7 day cruise, I anticipate that extra dining reservations may be scarce.  Understanding that food is subjective, I would like the Community's opinion on which of the three reservable restaurants is the best.  In other words, when getting on board, which of the three would you try to get a second reservation for, if you could only get one?

On a seven day cruise we probably would not seek a second reservation in any of the three speciality restaurants, even though we like them all.

We would be happy to enjoy the extensive menu in Compass Rose for the other nights on board; with the option to perhaps visit Sette Mari one evening (not our favourite venue)

• Like 3

I had the best steak of my life in Prime 7 (if you like beef) but Pacific Rim has fabulous variety and the tempuras are hard to beat. Although Chartreuse wouldn't be my first pick (but still wonderful) they get the high mark for table settings. I always feel special when sitting down for dinner there. (haha!)

The specialty restaurant menus stay the same so multiple reservations aren’t needed unless you really want to try more menu items.   We found that the Compass Rose menus to be very interesting on a daily basis.  Sette Mari was our least favorite as there was just too much food to eat.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, flossie009 said:

On a seven day cruise we probably would not seek a second reservation in any of the three speciality restaurants, even though we like them all.

We would be happy to enjoy the extensive menu in Compass Rose for the other nights on board; with the option to perhaps visit Sette Mari one evening (not our favourite venue)

I totally agree; although, we would probably have a lunch at Prime7, if we had a sea day. I can't stress enough how much we enjoy the menu in CR.

We will soon embark on a 10-day Splendor cruise with NO sea days. One visit to each specialty restaurant is our plan; one visit to Sette Mari (depending on the day's menu) for dinner on the aft deck , if weather is nice; and otherwise dinner in CR @ 7 PM, sharing a table.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 6:45 AM, Mudhen said:

I had the best steak of my life in Prime 7 (if you like beef) but Pacific Rim has fabulous variety and the tempuras are hard to beat. Although Chartreuse wouldn't be my first pick (but still wonderful) they get the high mark for table settings. I always feel special when sitting down for dinner there. (haha!)

Pacific Rim is our favorite to share with good friends 😉 Your crab tempura was the first time I’ve ever enjoyed a soft shell crab! 

• Like 1

So here is a scenario that could play out (it has happened to us twice): On the first night of your cruise, you go to Compass Rose (this is assuming you have not made a specialty reservation on the first night; I don't think many people do) around 8pm and there is a wait to get seated.  The hostess will ask if you would like to eat at one of the specialty restaurants.  (Or is there is a wait, you can ask if there is availability elsewhere).  

We have always asked for Pacific Rim because it has a fairly extensive menu so that especially if you are with a larger group, there are a lot of different things to try.  (Downside is that if you made your Pacific Rim reservation for night two then you are going there back-to-back but I guess this is a first world problem...)

I personally am not crazy about Prime 7.  (It does advertise USDA prime steaks but I'm not sure about this based on the steaks I have been served.  This is where (for an upcharge), Regent should be offering A5 wagyu!)  But I like Sette Mari so go figure. (If you like it, I guess you could go there every night.  I have met a couple of people who have!)

Have a great cruise!

RK

Sorry, one other thing to consider: If you like Indian food or perhaps want to try a Filipino or Indonesian dinner, talk to the maitre 'd (or your butler if you have one) and have a specialty dinner in Compass Rose.  We've done both Indian and Filipino and they were *outstanding*!  Staff take great pride in their cuisine so it was our experience that what were we served was tailored to what we requested, fresh, and just yummy!  Just give a day or two notice and I think you will like it!

RK     

6 hours ago, rkaratsu said:

Sorry, one other thing to consider: If you like Indian food or perhaps want to try a Filipino or Indonesian dinner, talk to the maitre 'd (or your butler if you have one) and have a specialty dinner in Compass Rose.  We've done both Indian and Filipino and they were *outstanding*!  Staff take great pride in their cuisine so it was our experience that what were we served was tailored to what we requested, fresh, and just yummy!  Just give a day or two notice and I think you will like it!

RK     

We have requested a couple Indian dinners over the years and absolutely loved them! We also felt that those meals were prepared with that extra special touch and were outstanding.

We have never asked for a Filipino meal and are not very familiar with the cuisine but I’m intrigued to try that. Can you share some details of that meal? Thanks so much!

Agree with ^^

I love all the specialty venues, but not going to lie, compass rose is probably my favourite all around.

Prime 7 is great and I do enjoy it but Mrs. Slidebite says I do better steaks at home. It's certainly not the chefs skill, but I think its the quality of beef.

The best beef I've ever had in a restaurant anywhere was in Chartreuse on Voyager a couple months ago. The tenderloin with seared foie gras and truffle was amazing.

• Like 1