Latitudes cocktail party..

fair warning: it’s really a cruise next cocktail party. you’ll be hit with sales pitches. years ago, before almost everybody had a drink package, a free cocktail party meant something and was more worthwhile. now, not so much. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You probably have seen me say this before 🙂 My husband and I participate in the Latitudes Cocktail Party and the Captain's Reception wearing flippie floppies, t-shirt, and athletic shorts. Never been denied entry or even given awry looks. Have fun! 

• Like 2

We went to one a couple weeks ago.  There were many officers there who lined up at the entrance for you to shake their hand, say thank you, ask a question, etc.  But then you just take a seat and get served drinks and cheese on toothpicks.  We miss the days when there were door prizes and nice information shared.  I wish they’d at least make a few announcements to say how many people were on board from each latitudes level.  It didn’t feel like much of a party, as the crew left once all the guests had arrived and said their hellos.  After that people just started to wander off when they had finished their drink.  There were a few guests in fancier clothes but it may just have been because they were heading straight to dinner, but most people were dressed pretty casual.

I always go to the Latitudes Party. Normally, a few of us solos meet there and enjoy some drinks together. We pay no attention to the CruiseNext sales pitches. Basically, those of us who attend aren't into the beverage package. Whatever I already have on is what I wear.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction

Depends on the ship of course, but usually there is music. Sometimes there is dancing. And if you're not on the drinks package, great chance to get a couple of free glasses of wine or prosecco or a cocktail or mocktail, etc. It's usually held in a nice venue like the Supper Club or the Observation Lounge. Mostly it's a great chance to meet other cruisers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pendragon1980 said:

This is my first time being eligible for the cocktail party at silver? What exactly is the dress code? do I need an actual cocktail dress or would a business casual pant and shirt be appropriate?

I want to echo what's already been said... NCL is very relaxed and there's no need to dress up. I wore a nice pair of jeans and a nice top to all of the ones I've attended and didn't feel out of place. That being said, some people prefer to dress up a little bit so you will probably see some who are less casual. Basically, it's all good except for perhaps ultra-casual tank tops or swimsuits and the like. I try for "business casual" but leaning more to the casual side.

28 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

We didn't get our invitation on our Joy sailing last week. 🤔

I don't recall ever receiving an invitation... oh wait, yes, I did once. BUT... if you hit up the CruiseNext desk by 9pm embarkation night, they'll tell you when and where... along with the ship tour and other Latitude perks events. 

• Like 2

There is usually a notice for the party posted at the CruiseNext desk. If you speak to someone at CN, they will usually have a printout they can give you. Sometimes I receive an invitation as cabin voicemail. It is also listed in the Freestyle Daily.

7 hours ago, pendragon1980 said:

This is my first time being eligible for the cocktail party at silver? What exactly is the dress code? do I need an actual cocktail dress or would a business casual pant and shirt be appropriate?

It can be a wonderful opportunity to meet some other seasoned travelers who may be able to share their travel tips.  We learned about shareholder OBC, using the NCL Master Card to upgrade our stateroom, and techniques for accumulating extra Latitudes points by schmoozing with other Latitudes members.  The officers may sometimes hang around after the introductions, so you may get a chance to chat with one of them.  That doesn't happen as often as it used to.  At a Latitudes party on an Epic TransAtlantic cruise a few years ago, we heard the Chief Engineer mention the town where he lives when he's not on board.  It's the same small town where my wife grew up, so we intercepted him as he was leaving the party.  The GM overheard our conversation with the Engineer and offered the three of us (Engineer, my wife, and me) dinner in Cagney's so we could get to know each other better.  You just never know what attending the Latitudes party can bring!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BebeZed said:

I don't recall ever receiving an invitation... oh wait, yes, I did once. BUT... if you hit up the CruiseNext desk by 9pm embarkation night, they'll tell you when and where... along with the ship tour and other Latitude perks events. 

I guess I figured that someone from NCL would tell us these things, but............

25 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

I guess I figured that someone from NCL would tell us these things, but............

They did. It’s printed in the Freestyle Daily on embarkation day as a reminder to visit the Cruise  Next desk where they have a sign posted stating the time and date for the party then printed again as both a special paragraph and in the timetable of the Freestyle Daily on the day of the Latitudes Party.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

They did. It’s printed in the Freestyle Daily on embarkation day as a reminder to visit the Cruise  Next desk where they have a sign posted stating the time and date for the party then printed again as both a special paragraph and in the timetable of the Freestyle Daily on the day of the Latitudes Party.

We don't read the Freestyle Daily, we use the app for everything so now I know.  On other lines we get a physical invitation in our cabin so I assumed.......won't do that again.  😂

I use the app too.  I’m not being cheeky or rude but the Freestyle Daily shows up every day in the app. (To be honest, the Latitudes parties aren’t that fun anymore. I’ve never missed one and after each one I ask myself why I went.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

I use the app too.  I’m not being cheeky or rude but the Freestyle Daily shows up every day in the app. (To be honest, the Latitudes parties aren’t that fun anymore. I’ve never missed one and after each one I ask myself why I went.)

I just go for the free drinks and nibbles but... I already have the beverage package so one has to wonder...       Used to be they had a band and it was less a sales pitch and more a social event. Not sure I'll go on my upcoming cruise but maybeeee...

22 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

We didn't get our invitation on our Joy sailing last week. 🤔

First, IMHO only, you didn't missed much, if anything at all ... aside from the CruiseNext sales talk,  where they sometimes will mention also the upcoming ports of calls & encourage the audience to book now, yada yada.

We're on a 15 nights and there was no welcome abroad or invitation letter or anything else in the cabin upon embarkation, nothing, nada, zero - aside from the mini Latitudes booklet.  This is absolutely in line with latest "sail and sustain mindset by NCL being "eco-friendly."  There was a sign or placard posted at the CruiseNext office and a small paragraph in the Freestyle Daily on consecutive days, mentioning the dates & times of the "Welcome Back, Latitudes Reception for Decks X, Y "  sub-groups organized by the floors or decks.   Haha, there must be hundreds with assorted tier status on that sailing, as they repeated the "reception" over 4 days.  

BTW, you'll find those little cheese cubes being circulated and offered in the buffet plus the crackers - as served lately ... plain & simple, nothing fancy or worthwhile to attend especially if one has to change dinner plans.  In the old days, you need to show the letter or flash your key card to get into the "gathering" - this year, apparently, they didn't even bother with it.  

14 minutes ago, BebeZed said:

I just go for the free drinks and nibbles but... I already have the beverage package so one has to wonder...       Used to be they had a band and it was less a sales pitch and more a social event. Not sure I'll go on my upcoming cruise but maybeeee...

On my last few cruises they haven’t even served nibbles!

• Haha 1

Well the  one we went to on the Prima last month was "nothing special". It was in the observation lounge and believe me it is far from a "cocktail party". It is simply meeting the caption and his crew, have a few drinks and some cheese and crackers. If you have the beverage package then it's even less of a big deal. However, we did enjoy relaxing by the windows and having a glass of cheap champagne. :classic_biggrin: