Savor your Catch - a review

electro

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting this along w/ ship review to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

electro was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I posted asking for info on this program before my cruise but no one seemed to have any information other that what is posted on HAL’s website, which isn’t much, so I thought I would post how it worked for us.

My DH and friend’s DH did a salmon fishing excursion in Ketchikan.

My DH caught a 20 lb king salmon. He informed the captain/guide of the fishing boat that he wanted to take it back to the ship to be prepared for dinner. The captain cleaned the fish and packed it in ice for my DH to bring back. 

On the drive back to the ship, the bus driver contacted the ship to let them know that someone was retuning with their catch.

My DH had to wait at the gangway with his fish for the executive chef to come and meet him. The Chef came down to the gangway with a thermometer and measure the temp of the fish to make sure it was still cold enough. 

He asked how he would like to prepared, gave a list of sides to choose from and confirmed what time we would be going for dinner.

My DH had to fill out some paperwork and that was all.

We went to dinner at 7, and after our appys, our fish was delivered to our table. It was prepared perfectly and was delicious. 

There was only 3 of us who ate fish so there was plenty left over.

We shared with the table next to us and the waiters got to have the rest. Our waiter was practically giddy when he packed up the rest of the fish. One waiter put dips on the head as soon as it was served!

We were very glad that the rest of the fish did not go to waste.

There is no extra fee for this service, it is included in the price of the excursion.

If you plan to do this, make sure you check the fishing season for the type of fish you will be catching. We were cruising for 2 weeks and if they had done the fishing the first week, they would have had to throw back the fish because salmon season didn’t open until the second week, 2 days before the day they went fishing.

This is a great program that I hope that HAL continues it.

fish.jpg

cooked fish.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

I am very impressed!! Thanks for reporting this and the pictures. I wish I could do this but I am not exactly the type that goes fishing, DH might but he would only eat Halibut and he does not eat Salmon like I do. But How fun this looks to be 😃

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am very impressed!! Thanks for reporting this and the pictures. I wish I could do this but I am not exactly the type that goes fishing, DH might but he would only eat Halibut and he does not eat Salmon like I do. But How fun this looks to be 😃

You can do with with halibut as well.

• Like 5

When we lived in Florida we did this with local restaurants all the time.  Nothing better than fresh grouper (or any fish for that matter) cooked within an hour or two from catch to table.

Didn't realize that it could be done with the ship.  Boy that sure looks good. 

• Like 4

Several years ago friends went salmon fishing in Alaska & caught a large salmon & had it shipped back to NY(I believe via FEDEX) and we grilled it at home - til this day it was the best tasting salmon I have ever tasted.

I believe they caught it the last full day of the cruise  - the salmon was packed in ice & shipped by the fishing boat....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Several years ago friends went salmon fishing in Alaska & caught a large salmon & had it shipped back to NY(I believe via FEDEX) and we grilled it at home - til this day it was the best tasting salmon I have ever tasted.

I believe they caught it the last full day of the cruise  - the salmon was packed in ice & shipped by the fishing boat....

My DH had the option to send it home but it was very expensive.

5 hours ago, electro said:

You can do with with halibut as well.

Yes I later saw it for our Excursions in Ketchikan but when I told DH the price $400++ he said we can go out and order several Halibut meals for that. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our first AK cruise was thirty years ago.  We sat at a two-top table in the dining room next to an eight-top at which was seated a group from Germany.  One of them caught a salmon at a port stop and had it prepared in the dining room.  Similar to your experience, they had more than they could eat and shared with neighboring tables.  It was terrific.

On behalf of your dining neighbors, thank you for sharing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes I later saw it for our Excursions in Ketchikan but when I told DH the price $400++ he said we can go out and order several Halibut meals for that. lol

The price for the salmon fishing excursion was $259 and we used the shore excursion credit from the HIA so we paid 159. There was no added cost to have it prepared on the ship. To ship it home would have been about $300+ Canadian.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, electro said:

The price for the salmon fishing excursion was $259 and we used the shore excursion credit from the HIA so we paid 159. There was no added cost to have it prepared on the ship. To ship it home would have been about $300+ Canadian.

Here are the prices for what is offered for when we are in Ketchikan, definitely higher.

IMG_4290.png

IMG_4291.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Here are the prices for what is offered for when we are in Ketchikan, definitely higher.

IMG_4290.png

IMG_4291.png

Wow, that is pricey, Is the salmon fishing that pricey as well?

DH went salmon fishing our first AK cruise and was not allowed to keep anything as we were a week too early. He paid $259. Halibut excursions were higher.

While he could have bought salmon cheaper, the only place he go go AK fishing is in AK. Having something cooked from that outing is a bonus.

• Like 1