No more classical music?!

cartervan

30 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

I asked him what other cruises they would be on, and with a grimace he said they were only booked on HAL for the folllow-on cruise (up to Montreal).  I wrote to HAL saying they needed more of this quality of music!

I sent comments through the Navigator the next day, with additional follow-up comments on the survey.  I’m pretty particular in my likes and dislikes but I was blown away by this pianist.  I would love more of the same caliber of talent.

• Like 1

Just a few years ago it was in a bar near the dining room on 3.  I forget the name.  It was a lovely quiet cosy atmosphere.   Then it was turned into a theatre type room, rows of seats that destroyed the atmosphere.    

18 minutes ago, highscar said:

Just a few years ago it was in a bar near the dining room on 3.  I forget the name.  It was a lovely quiet cosy atmosphere.   Then it was turned into a theatre type room, rows of seats that destroyed the atmosphere.    

I believe that was the Explorer's Lounge, that suffered the transition from a soft and welcoming space to a brittle multi-function space

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, highscar said:

Yes. Thank you for nudging my memory. It was an enjoyable place to appreciate the music while enjoying a pre dinner cocktail. 

Sometimes a space is "successful"....... when it is not full of people.

A spot onboard that one can go to when they do want a quiet experience, away from the general fray of onboard and revenue producing activities. At least just one, which is the role the old Explorer's Lounge often played.  It added a touch of calm and graciousness to the ship. Just to know it was there, if needed. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Music seems to be still up in the air, but I don't think we will be hearing Classical music on anything but the longer cruises. Not  HAL's standard 7 day cruises.  What constitutes "longer" is the question: 14 days,  21, 35?). That will likely be on the Main Stage and possibly back to a 4 or 5 member group.

I believe the Ocean Bar group is a permanent addition to HAL's music lineup and very popular.

I was on the Rotterdam for 47 days and no strings

Seems that we don't drink enough and stay up til 2am

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, erdufylla said:

I know I’m someone in that younger demographic (GenX/Millennial) who *does* want classical music,.

I'm also a young GenXer, and classical music is one of the things that endeared me to HAL. I'm sailing next month for the first time since 2016 and was shocked after I booked to discover how many of the things that separated HAL from other lines have been discontinued. 

I don't expect things to stay the same, but a lot of the cuts were things that set HAL apart for the better. At this point they don't seem to have the competitive differentiation that they used to have, so there might not be much keeping me from sampling other (less expensive) lines. I'm excited to see what I think next month.

Edited by ExpatBride
  • Like 3

Since they eliminated Lincoln Center they should rip it all out on the Vista and Signature class ships and go back to the full beautiful Explorers lounge where they always had classical music in the after dinner hours with a little table with chocolates and IIRC tea was also available.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Since they eliminated Lincoln Center they should rip it all out on the Vista and Signature class ships and go back to the full beautiful Explorers lounge where they always had classical music in the after dinner hours with a little table with chocolates and IIRC tea was also available.

If they aren't going to use it for entertainment, they may as well revert to the lounge.

But if they had left it that way, it would not have been a good venue for LC. First, because LC drew a crowd that needed more seating. Second, people talk when they sit in a lounge, even when there is live music. When there are rows of chairs, people seem to understand that it's a performance and they should let the audience hear the music.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, erdufylla said:

"I do worry that their view is that in trying to attract a somewhat younger demographic, classical music is an easy thing to cut."

GenXers here, with Millennial daughter.  HAL might be interested to know that people can enjoy music of many types.  I love our 80's hits, our 70's classic rock, and a lot of other music from different eras and styles.  But you will have to pry Classical Music from my cold, dead hands.  

On our 2022 Alaska cruise on Eurodam, LCS was packed every time they played.  It was hard to find a seat.  Then having those players on the main stage for the BBC nature presentation was outstanding.  I was so sad to hear of the decision to discontinue LCS, but I continue to hold out hope that HAL will listen to the fact that I can love a classical music performance at 7pm and then rock the night away at 9pm. Our whole family is like this.  It's not rocket science, folks.  Classical music is one of the things that sets HAL apart.  HAL, please don't abandon it! 

• Like 8

My late husband and I first boarded a Holland cruise ship in 2011, and in August I'll be on board the Nieuw Statendam for my 16th HAL cruise (I took 3 years off for the pandemic.)  During each of those previous cruises, I'd estimate that I had my pre-dinner glass of wine enjoying the music of the Lincoln Center ensemble before probably 90% of those evening meals, while also often attending some of their afternoon and post-dinner performances as weill.

When I discovered on this board that LC was apparently gone, a few days after paying the full cruise charge and SAS flight charge for my upcoming 14 day cruise, I seriously considered cancelling the booking, until I did the math and realized that, even with the platinum insurance plan, the amount of money that cancellation would cost me was way more than I was willing to sacrifice.  I did write to my PCC though to register my very deep disappointment, and she wrote back to say "The Lincoln Center has actually been moved to the World stage and is more a “travelling” group now so it would be one or two nights during your voyage."  My response was that I just need to figure out what to do the other 12 or 13 nights before dinner.

I appreciate all the reminders that HAL leadership needs to know how many of their passengers regularly fill the lounge and spill over into the hallway for the evening LC performances.  I found in recent years, pre-COVID, I had to make it a point to arrive early to get a seat and a glass of wine if I didn't want to stand during the performance.  I will start sending those emails in the morning. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Time for HAL to introduce auditions, live competitions, and a final grand performance.  Only the most skilled passengers make it to the theater stage.  The final selection get a captain's toast, and a free souvenir from the gift shop.

Back in 1998 on my very first cruise (RCCL Legend of the Seas), my husband and I were roped into a talent show where several passengers displayed various talents and a few of us were directed in a big musical number. It required daily early morning rehearsals for the entire week. I’m not a morning person, and I swore I’d never do anything like that again while on vacation. It felt too much like going to work. 

• Like 2

While I can understand the appeal of LCS for many, for me as an individual, I would much rather see HAL bring in a good jazz combo like days of yore, and/or have a band/singer focusing on standards and great American songbook with music from the 1920s-50s. This type of music/entertainment lends itself to a more social environment, where cocktails and conversation and couples/social dancing can flow. LCS is too much of a hush-hush, sit, watch and politely listen, but don’t speak or drink kind of event. I love classical music but I prefer a more social environment. Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB Kings and Billboard are all well and good, but require some creative shouting to thy neighbor to be heard but not bother those around you. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

While I can understand the appeal of LCS for many, for me as an individual, I would much rather see HAL bring in a good jazz combo like days of yore, and/or have a band/singer focusing on standards and great American songbook with music from the 1920s-50s. This type of music/entertainment lends itself to a more social environment, where cocktails and conversation and couples/social dancing can flow. LCS is too much of a hush-hush, sit, watch and politely listen, but don’t speak or drink kind of event. I love classical music but I prefer a more social environment. Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB Kings and Billboard are all well and good, but require some creative shouting to thy neighbor to be heard but not bother those around you. 

You’d think they could do this at BB King’s. I’d love to see some old standard with dancing, and some real jazz. 

• Like 3

I vote for both classical and jazz type music!  Yes, yes, wishful thinking but I might as well put it out there!   I did enjoy the 4-5 piece band in the Ocean Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam last October.  They were very talented, and dancers and socializers/drinkers could enjoy it.  

~Nancy

• Like 6

9 hours ago, detroit70 said:

When I discovered on this board that LC was apparently gone, a few days after paying the full cruise charge and SAS flight charge for my upcoming 14 day cruise, I seriously considered cancelling the booking, until I did the math and realized that, even with the platinum insurance plan, the amount of money that cancellation would cost me was way more than I was willing to sacrifice.  I did write to my PCC though to register my very deep disappointment, and she wrote back to say "The Lincoln Center has actually been moved to the World stage and is more a “travelling” group now so it would be one or two nights during your voyage."  My response was that I just need to figure out what to do the other 12 or 13 nights before dinner.

The "traveling group" will not be on all cruises all the time. They've had a "traveling" vocal group, Cantare, for several years and I have yet to be on a cruise that included a "visit" from them. I fear it will be the same for LC. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

They are bringing back the jazz combo, like the old Neptunes, in the Ocean Bar. I don't know if it's on all ships, but I hope it's on my future HAL cruises. I don't see classical and jazz as mutually exclusive. I would love to have both on a cruise. (I do get both when I sail with Cunard. Their entertainment puts HAL's to shame.)

But I have a problem with the "social environment" approach. I like to LISTEN to music, and not just the classical performances. I don't want to have to hear people's conversations while I'm trying to enjoy music. People may not shout as they do in the loud venues, but they do talk loudly to be heard over the music in smaller lounges. I've seen/heard it on ships, in restaurants, even outdoor jazz concerts. I don't understand the point of going to a music performance only to ignore it and talk the whole time. 

LC didn't have a rule against drinking. HAL just didn't bother to send in a waiter to take orders. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ladyj1138 said:

You’d think they could do this at BB King’s. I’d love to see some old standard with dancing, and some real jazz. 

I wonder if the BB King's musicians might be able to play a jazz set if they weren't locked into the pre-arranged sets. They used to do a blues show in the main showroom that was fantastic. Real blues, not loud covers of rock music.

• Like 2

It seemed to me from what was said on our last two cruises that that the Ocean Bar group will be on most cruises. It may be a direct replacement for the Lincoln Centre on short cruises.

As to the Explorers Lounge being turned back into a lounge with bar, it remains to be seen if HAL can spare the money. I think part of the reason for the music now in the Ocean Bar is the drink profit that it brings in, as opposed to almost nothing for Lincoln Center in the Explorers Lounge. On our last cruises the Ocean Bar was packed whenever the group was playing there. I have seen almost no drinking at Lincoln Center (except on a Pinnacle ship, and then not much).

The musicians that came in mid-cruise on Westerdam to play in the Ocean Bar, replacing the departing LCS classical music, were terrible. And I certainly wouldn't call what they played "jazz". It was more like bad "elevator muzak" versions of 60's and 70's pop music, for the main part. Half of the time it wasn't even in tune, so hard to tell...

There is a difference between background music and a live performance (which LCS played). The former is there to provide background in a social environment where people are talking to each other. The latter isn't.

I wouldn't mind the Ocean Bar musicians if they were good, so long as they also provide classical music. 

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I wouldn't mind the Ocean Bar musicians if they were good, so long as they also provide classical music. 

Oops, I worded that poorly. 

What I meant to say is that having a quartet or trio in Ocean Bar is a fine idea and addition to the ship's other musical offerings. I just don't think it replaces what LCS provided in any way. 

Last fall on Celebrity (on a ship about the same size as the Vista-class ships), they had a 10-11 piece orchestra that accompanied their shows; pieces of this group were also utilized in various combos around the ship as needed (e.g., a couple of nights some of the members did jazz sets in the atrium). Plus there was an accoustical guitarist/singer, a singer and keyboardist who played in the bar where people tended to gather pre- and post-dinner (with a dance floor), a classical duo, and a "house band" that played covers.

• Like 1

I'm 30 and my wife is 27. We picked the Koningsdam for our first ever cruise, August 12th-17th. Definitely disappointed to see all the comments about a complete lack of classical music. This was a major selling point for us. Besides Lincoln Center Stage, they also don't do Earth in Concert anymore, which had a classical music element. These were two things were very much looking forward to.

Everyone, take the time to email Holland America (guestrelations@hollandamerica.com) and let them know! I doubt they are coming here to take any serious tally on what people think. We can at the very least fill up their inbox with our concerns!

• Like 3