I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

One should not withhold tips, but I will certainly tip EXTRA for a second service.

If my room attendant is in the area anyways, a quick three-minute pop-in to refresh the room will be rewarded.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Btw many hotels are now only do service every other day.  That I don't like. I can live with once a day and I know I can still get something I need if I call.

We're not sailing in a hotel, so we shouldn't be using it as an analogy.  Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a big cut back right after they raised gratuities.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Interesting, I can see pros/cons with either morning or evening but I guess if I am offered a choice I'll clarify about what time they're aiming to complete it.  Even if not offered a choice I'll ask what time they'll aim for - while we are fairly consistent in our travel habits I'll be curious to see how it goes.  I expect we won't mind, but it will all depend on overall accessibility.

Good idea to ask. What was confusing to us was the inconsistency on the various days. Not anything that impacted our cruise in any way. Just kind of odd. We are fairly neat. I would grab any glasses or small plates in the room carry them out of the room usually up to pool deck area. I would set them in the area next to one of the outdoor hand washing stations in the Solarium.

I did not see as many dishes in the hallways on this cruise. Maybe they have someone patrolling and picking them up more often. OR maybe with the cost of room service less people are getting it. That was my attempt at humor.

Hope your next cruise is a great one.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HUNKY said:

YIKES!!!

Did not know this about our upcoming Royal Wonder cruise.

Can I ask my attendant for twice-a-day service?

Their answer will certainly affect their extra tip!

I agree with you.  I'm certainly not leaving extra gratuity for less service.  Fortunately my last cruise on MSC our attendant was awesome.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Btw many hotels are now only do service every other day.  That I don't like. I can live with once a day and I know I can still get something I need if I call.

Not any of the hotels I've recently stayed in.  We travel quite a bit and have yet to experience this.

46 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

We're not sailing in a hotel, so we shouldn't be using it as an analogy.  Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a big cut back right after they raised gratuities.

I consider a cruise ship a "floating hotel".  I think it's one of the better analogies.  Granted, the rooms are smaller, but it's a fair comparison.

55 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I consider a cruise ship a "floating hotel".  I think it's one of the better analogies.  Granted, the rooms are smaller, but it's a fair comparison.

The rooms being smaller is a large part of the issue. Hotels usually have a towel bar, so you can dry off you towel if you want to use it again. They don't dry as well if you use a hook, or if the ship does have a towel bar, it's not very long (since the bathroom is tiny)

Same thing with the trash can. The trash can is very small in a cruise ship cabin. Trash cans in hotels are still small, but they are larger.

Open sofa beds in a cruise ship cabin take up a great deal of the room, in many hotel rooms it's less of an issue.

The cruise ship stateroom was designed around twice a day room cleaning. It doesn't function as well when you reduce the service. 

Maybe the suites would actually work better for once a day room cleaning, since those cabins have more space. Perhaps they should go to once a day, and the rest of us in steerage can keep twice a day...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I recently stayed at a Doubletree (a Hilton brand), and at a Hilton, and they had service every day, without asking.

There was an article in the WSJ today (or perhaps yesterday) that basically said that customers are pushing back against the pandemic era cutbacks at hotels. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

There was an article in the WSJ today (or perhaps yesterday) that basically said that customers are pushing back against the pandemic era cutbacks at hotels. 

I’m hopeful but doubt it will come back.  It’s a money saver.  

We are in a hotel this weekend for 3 nights and the website already states no service except after 4 nights.  I’m hoping for no push back when I ask for extra towels at the desk.  At over $300 a night I find no service ridiculous.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m hopeful but doubt it will come back.  It’s a money saver.  

We are in a hotel this weekend for 3 nights and the website already states no service except after 4 nights.  I’m hoping for no push back when I ask for extra towels at the desk.  At over $300 a night I find no service ridiculous.  

We have found that the cleaning people are wonderful about making sure you have anything you need.  We just ask when we see them in the hallway instead of going to the front desk.  We were at a family wedding recently and most stayed either two or three nights.  They swapped out towels for us and gave me more coffee and cups for my Mom who uses the coffee pot in a hotel room. Yuck!

2 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’ve been known to grab a towel off the cart in the hall, I confess.

I have done that too but they ladies working this hotel were really wonderful and kept asking if we needed anything.  My Mom was in an accessible room by herself and they would ask me specifically if she was okay and that they would clean her room if we wanted.

43 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Glad to hear that!!! We were at a $$$ hotel in Pgh last fall, for 5 days, and no room cleanings.  Did not love.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I recently stayed at a Doubletree (a Hilton brand), and at a Hilton, and they had service every day, without asking.

I've stayed at Doubletrees and Hamptons and they all have had service every 5th day. I'm at a Home2Suites next week and I'll check again.

It's just me and I eat most meals outside of the hotel, so I don't have a problem. I'm usually ready for fresh towels around day 4, but haven't bothered requesting yet. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Hotels never had twice a day room service.  There are some swanky, expensive places that provide turndown in the evening.  Those are the exception, not the norm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

It's just me and I eat most meals outside of the hotel, so I don't have a problem. I'm usually ready for fresh towels around day 4, but haven't bothered requesting yet. 

That certainly does explain a lot.