Food NOT offered on Carnival

Drew B 58

18 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

On my last two Carnival cruises on the Vista they had something they actually called "pecan pie". Unfortunately, it was NOTHING like what any Texan would think a pecan pie actually is. It was more like a dry, grainy, cake with bits of pecan on top. Pretty sure it had absolutely no corn syrup in it. Absolutely terrible and a total waste of pecans 😞

I actually did a post about 2 years ago asking if ANY cruise-line had real pecan pie (the Royal Carribbean "pecan pie" is just as bad and flavorless) and never found one that did. Only thing I could come up with is that corn syrup is either too expensive or too messy for a ship. I can't think of a single corn syrup based dessert on any of my 50+ cruises. 

The moral to this story is that no matter what wonderful dish you can come up with, some bean-counter in Miami or Seattle can screw it up. Regional food differences are also an issue. Look no further than the stale, cake-like donuts that get served at breakfast. On one cruise I was joking with the Indian head chef and asked him why the donuts were so bad on all the cruise ships. He was "huhh. Our donuts are great. When we cruise out of New Jersey they love them. Not sure why everyone from Texas complains so much.". I did another cruise on the same ship two weeks later and brought a dozen Krispy Kreme and gave to him. His comment was "Wow!! These are fantastic!! I really wished we could make something like this. Unfortunately, I can only make what corporate tells me to make with the ingredients that they send."

Do you recall which venue on Vista served the “pecan pie”?

Since you mentioned the scarcity of corn syrup-based desserts and it got me thinking about the pecans and I realized there seems to be a lack of food containing nuts in general on Carnival (not counting peanut butter).  Not just desserts.  Offhand, I can’t think of many appetizers or entrees with nuts, either…

You lost me with Kristen Kreme.  I remember when they first opened in Los Angeles and there was tremendous excitement about it.  For the first week(s) there were often hours-long waits to buy donuts there because they were so popular.  I had never even heard of Krispy Kreme, but I figured that if everyone loved them so much, I had better give them a try. I don’t know that I’ve ever been more disappointed!  I’m a Dunkin’ guy!  😀

35 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

Since you mentioned the scarcity of corn syrup-based desserts and it got me thinking about the pecans and I realized there seems to be a lack of food containing nuts in general on Carnival (not counting peanut butter).  Not just desserts.  Offhand, I can’t think of many appetizers or entrees with nuts, either…

You lost me with Kristen Kreme.  I remember when they first opened in Los Angeles and there was tremendous excitement about it.  For the first week(s) there were often hours-long waits to buy donuts there because they were so popular.  I had never even heard of Krispy Kreme, but I figured that if everyone loved them so much, I had better give them a try. I don’t know that I’ve ever been more disappointed!  I’m a Dunkin’ guy!  😀

Both times were out of Galveston since the restart.

Both taste and definitions are definitely regional (I have been to 49 states and 30+ countries so not much I have not eaten). I find Krispy Kreme to be 100x better than Dunkin but Dunkin is still OK. However, Shipley is generally terrible (again, don't like cake donuts. A donut is supposed to be sweet and fluffy). Same with hamburgers. I absolutely cannot stand In-N-Out burger and the associated East-coast copy-cats (P. Terry's, etc.). Tried them dozens of times in multiple states. They just don't taste right to me and the limp fries are terrible. I will take Whataburger any day of the week (and I am a huge fan of Guy's Burgers on Carnival).

As for definitions, I still remember the first time I was invited to a BBQ up in Chicago. About an hour into the meal the host asked me why I was not eating. I said "I am waiting on the brisket and ribs to come out. Not sure why everyone is filling up on hamburgers and hotdogs.". He just looked at me strange and said "Uhhh... All we have is hamburgers and hotdogs. That is what we call a BBQ up here.". We were both embarrassed. Now if I am invited to a BBQ anywhere up North, I politely decline. If you get invited to a BBQ here in Texas (or at least rural Texas), pulled pork, brisket, ribs, and sausage are pretty much a minimum even for a "family gathering" (and for a "big" BBQ with mulitple families, you can expect a whole hog and maybe deer or goat). For a "really big" BBQ everyone shows up with their trailered smokers behind their truck and it turns into a 2-day affair 😉

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RockHoundTX said:

Both times were out of Galveston since the restart.

Both taste and definitions are definitely regional (I have been to 49 states and 30+ countries so not much I have not eaten). I find Krispy Kreme to be 100x better than Dunkin but Dunkin is still OK. However, Shipley is generally terrible (again, don't like cake donuts. A donut is supposed to be sweet and fluffy). Same with hamburgers. I absolutely cannot stand In-N-Out burger and the associated East-coast copy-cats (P. Terry's, etc.). Tried them dozens of times in multiple states. They just don't taste right to me and the limp fries are terrible. I will take Whataburger any day of the week (and I am a huge fan of Guy's Burgers on Carnival).

As for definitions, I still remember the first time I was invited to a BBQ up in Chicago. About an hour into the meal the host asked me why I was not eating. I said "I am waiting on the brisket and ribs to come out. Not sure why everyone is filling up on hamburgers and hotdogs.". He just looked at me strange and said "Uhhh... All we have is hamburgers and hotdogs. That is what we call a BBQ up here.". We were both embarrassed. Now if I am invited to a BBQ anywhere up North, I politely decline. If you get invited to a BBQ here in Texas (or at least rural Texas), pulled pork, brisket, ribs, and sausage are pretty much a minimum even for a "family gathering" (and for a "big" BBQ with mulitple families, you can expect a whole hog and maybe deer or goat). For a "really big" BBQ everyone shows up with their trailered smokers behind their truck and it turns into a 2-day affair 😉

I meant what venue ON THE SHIP had the pecan pie?  MDR?  Buffet?  One of the specialty restaurants?

I don’t eat meat, so I don’t have anything to add on the subject of burgers or barbecue…. 🤪

6 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

That’s funny because last fall my husband and I did a B2B on Spirit. The MDR service was so abysmal that we gave up and ended up in Lido more often than not. I couldn’t eat many of the desserts because the majority had nuts of one kind or another. I’m only allergic to walnuts but after one night of asking and being told they were absolutely almonds and knowing after the first bite hit my tongue that they were absolutely walnuts, I didn’t take the risk of trying any others.

As for something new, I’d like to see the ice cream flavors in the MDR have more variety. Maybe keep the standards but have one flavor that changes each night. Otherwise, I’m generally pretty satisfied with the options. I do agree that the after 11 pm offerings are crap though. It would help if they kept the deli open until like 1. 

I've only cruised two Carnival ships, Legend and Pride and did not see any chicken wings.  Maybe they are on other ships?  We use to love those on NCL in O'Sheehans but since they changed from fried to baked, not so much.

You're hard pressed to find meat with a bone in it on Carnival for one thing.

13 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

DH and I do like a good Five Guys burger.  I have been tempted to try one of their hotdogs.  I wonder if they are any good?

What does that have to do with Carnival?

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

DH and I do like a good Five Guys burger.  I have been tempted to try one of their hotdogs.  I wonder if they are any good?

Are you confusing 'Five Guys Burgers and Fries' with 'Guy's Burger Joint'?   They are two unrelated companies.

Nope, not confused.  Just joining in on the conversation of the comparison of Guy's burgers, and Five Guy's burgers.  And someone mentioned hot dogs, and thought I'd make a comment, as well, and then ask about their hot dogs.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:23 PM, Number12 said:

How about some good hotdogs at Guys?

On 7/7/2023 at 4:09 PM, stobe1 said:

While I don't think Guy's is a terrible burger, I much prefer Five Guys.

On 7/7/2023 at 4:57 PM, staceyglow said:

I have paid almost as much for a Five Guys meal as I have for dinner in Cucina del Capitano. 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:50 PM, stobe1 said:

That is why their burgers are so good. Lol. Paying for the quality. And their cajun fries are the best!

Edited by Iamthesea

On 7/6/2023 at 8:23 PM, Iamthesea said:

Does Carnival have lox and bagels? Specifically on the Sunshine.  I have looked at numerous videos and have not seen any in the Lido. 

No,not on the carnival legend I go up to the Buffay at dinner time go where the cold meats are and they usually put locks there put them in a Ziploc bag take them back put them in your state room refrigerator and the next morning go to toast a bagel grab some cream cheese and make a room

• Haha 1

Ice cream sundae bar

Thai dishes 

Chia pudding (didn't they used to have this?? I never got to try it)

Protein shake/smoothie/bowl stand where you choose what goes in it and they make it

Chips & salsa

Ridiculous fancy donuts

Wild game

Gluten free pizza (maybe this is already an option?)

Cakes and cupcakes that taste as good as they look

That being said, I've never gone hungry....

1 hour ago, no1racefan1 said:

Ice cream sundae bar

Thai dishes 

Chia pudding (didn't they used to have this?? I never got to try it)

Protein shake/smoothie/bowl stand where you choose what goes in it and they make it

Chips & salsa

Ridiculous fancy donuts

Wild game

Gluten free pizza (maybe this is already an option?)

Cakes and cupcakes that taste as good as they look

That being said, I've never gone hungry....

They do offer fancy donuts (for a few) at Java Blue.

I’m pretty sure you can request gluten free pizza.

• Like 1