The Key--Benefits have changed

I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere.  I had seen several people asking on various forums, roll calls etc, about the 'fast lane' or the 20% off specialty restaurants with The Key.  It appears that the benefits have changed, and those two things are on there, but there isn't a 'Chops lunch' listed, instead it's a Key Signature menu, but without saying what that might include.  We do have the Key booked for an upcoming sailing in September because of tender ports, the need for wifi and the fact that we love the Chops filet for lunch.  The filet is perfect for the family member who has celiac disease, so I hope something along those lines is still available. But I have a feeling it might be a downgrade like so many things when it comes to food and dining menus lately.  

image.thumb.png.aa619c0a42ab1bf98a11bf8c566ec840.png

I do b2bs and have seen key lunch in the Mdr on the opposite side at embarkation. Not in chops but they have a similar menu. I dont think this is new. Grandeur for instance key ate in Mdr for boarding lunch.

Not sure about the fast lane. I have seen people mention the times are tight for the surf zone time is a set time and tight. People seemed to think its anytime they want idk .. i dont see the changes. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I do b2bs and have seen key lunch in the Mdr on the opposite side at embarkation. Not in chops but they have a similar menu. I dont think this is new. Grandeur for instance key ate in Mdr for boarding lunch.

Not sure about the fast lane. I have seen people mention the times are tight for the surf zone time is a set time and tight. People seemed to think its anytime they want idk .. i dont see the changes. 

We have had the Key multiple times and yes, the lunch is in MDR, but the menu was a modified Chops lunch menu.  Never been a 'fast lane' for things, you'd get a piece of paper that showed you the special hour set aside for each thing like rock wall, zip line, etc.  Looks like that will still be the case for the Flowrider, but there will be a fast lane instead for the other things.  

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I read that the 'welcome lunch' menu is derived from the Chops menu.

Yes, it always has had the filet, a burger and a few other things.  Most of the usual sides and a couple of desserts.  We really have enjoyed it.  

25 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Here's is the menu from our October Oasis sail.  Menu was served in the MDR.

image0 (7).jpeg

Thank you for posting. I posted one as well, about an hour ago, but it is saying it needs admin approval. I'm not sure why, but it's the same menu as this one.  

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Thank you for posting. I posted one as well, about an hour ago, but it is saying it needs admin approval. I'm not sure why, but it's the same menu as this one.  

You'll enjoy it.  We purchased the Key around Labor Day, and it was either $15.99 or $16.99 pp/pd.  At that price it was well worth it.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

You'll enjoy it.  We purchased the Key around Labor Day, and it was either $15.99 or $16.99 pp/pd.  At that price it was well worth it.

I've used it many times. I've got it booked for my next three cruises this year. I'm curious about the change from a Chops menu to the 'Key Signature menu' that is supposed to be made up of 'Favorites'.  Especially when my travel partner for the September sailing has some restrictions.  That Chops menu worked for her, but we don't know what will be on this new one. 

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

I'm curious about this because most of the reviews I've read about The Key package is that it is most definitely NOT worth it.

Especially on the smaller ships where show and activity reservations are not needed, and in some cases not even offered. We're on Explorer in April to the Eastern Caribbean with no tender ports (so that perk doesn't apply), have MTD reservations for 6:45pm every night, want to remain flexible with our embarkation day lunch plans. We plan to purchase the Voom package separately and be done with it.

Am I missing anything?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

I'm curious about this because most of the reviews I've read about The Key package is that it is most definitely NOT worth it.

Especially on the smaller ships where show and activity reservations are not needed, and in some cases not even offered. We're on Explorer in April to the Eastern Caribbean with no tender ports (so that perk doesn't apply), have MTD reservations for 6:45pm every night, want to remain flexible with our embarkation day lunch plans. We plan to purchase the Voom package separately and be done with it.

Am I missing anything?

Nope, you're not missing anything.  I don't always get it, there are certain criteria I use to see if it makes sense or not.  Number one factor being price compared to the wifi and a 'specialty lunch'.  Throw in at least one tender port, and I'll bite.  But if there are more than 2 people in a room, it rarely pencils out to be a good deal, since everyone, including children over 6, must buy it.  At that point buying a wifi package for 3 or 4 devices is the better deal. You are correct about which ships as well, and how much of the 'attractions' you'll use like the rock wall, flowrider and so on.  For my upcoming Navigator sailing, I'm cruising with my granddaugher who is a junior at Cal State Long Beach. She'll have to do some assignments and upload them, I'll have to log into work daily, therefore we both want wifi.  We have a tender port.  I got a deal last Black Friday, so it made sense.  Oh, and she'll definitely use the flowrider and rock wall benefit.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Oof... 41.99/day on our current sailing.  I can't fathom how it would be worth it at that price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rockmom said:

Barb, it depends on where your photo is located.  CC doesn't like to link to some sites.

I have a question about the surf and stream as part of the Key program.

If two people are in the cabin, you pay 2x for the Key. Does that mean that the surf and stream is for a device for each person?

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Barb, it depends on where your photo is located.  CC doesn't like to link to some sites.

I get that. But it was a photo of the menu that I uploaded from my computer,  not a link. 

So, the fast lane...does that mean for all open previous Key activities, my kids will get to never wait in line more than 5 minutes?

That would actually be a much bigger perk for them than the dedicated single hour per activity that doesn't tend to be when they might want...

22 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

We’ve got multiple cruises with the Key at $47.99. Lowest price is $ 29.99

Our cruise is showing 47.99 I hope I can grab it for 29.99. The Welcome Lunch is one of the best perks of the Key.

3 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Our cruise is showing 47.99 I hope I can grab it for 29.99. The Welcome Lunch is one of the best perks of the Key.

If you're paying that kind of money for the 'Welcome Lunch', I would recommend skipping it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Until we see the menu for lunch has changed, it seems like speculation. The name changed so rcl could change the menu .. or not.

Someone recently  posted a menu that had 3 platters (Burger, 6 oz. filet and I can't recall the third) with platted sides.  No more individual side selections.  I'll never be able to find the post but if by some miracle I do, I'll post it here. 

M

• Like 1