CPAP machine experience

excitedofharpenden

I've booked a Japanese Intensive cruise for next year on Journey in a standard outside cabin. My other half uses a CPAP machine. What are others experience using one of these in a standard size cabin?  Successful?  Any things to be aware of?  Thanks for the replies. 

Phil 

Hi Phil,

I have had no problem using CPAP in OV and V cabins. The cord of the machine reaches to the power plugs at the desk (If you are using the side of bed closest to window).  If not you can ask for an extension cord .  However, I was given a bulky, heavy, and large yellow industrial extension cord that was a pain to store. For me it is easy to extend the machine's cord to the desk, then unplug in morning and shove the cord in the bedside table drawer. Azamara provides distilled H20.

Another issue your partner may find is that I like to have a space between the bed and wall for the cord to drop into while I am sleeping. You need to tell the stewart to leave the space, unless you want to pull the bed away from the wall each night. Their default is to push the bed back to the wall every day.

Lisa

• Like 1

A few weeks before we leave, we email  special_needs@rccl.com  (same for both Celebrity & RCCL) & ask for an extension cord & distilled water.  Give them your ship, embarkation date, cabin number & if possible your booking number.  It is waiting in the cabin every time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've booked a Japanese Intensive cruise for next year on Journey in a standard outside cabin. My other half uses a CPAP machine. What are others experience using one of these in a standard size cabin?  Successful?  Any things to be aware of?  Thanks for the replies. 

Phil 

Phil..Kenneth used one and we always use to bring an extension cord along ..just in case. As mentioned if you ask for one from the ship it will be huge and bulky. Just be sure to pack all the "bits and pieces"!! Kenneth didn't once and we had to find someone in BCN that could provide what we needed!! 😉 That cruise should be fabulous!! 

• Like 1

We haven't sailed Journey in several years. I remember that they brought an extension cord that had to be laid across the cabin to an appropriate plug. It was taped down across the floor.  The taped cord was an inelegant solution, but it worked.

We emailed special needs and the extension cord and distilled water were in the cabin when we boarded.

Someone who has sailed Journey more recently can probably tell you if the plugs near the bed have been upgraded.

• Like 1

This is all great information. Thanks. I will make sure to do a special needs form and will take an extension cord from home. Wonder if I need a special one for a ship electrical system?  tgg, I like the idea of taping down to avoid tripping. I had it in mind to ask on the ship for them to put masking tape down. 

Thanks again for the replies. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How many watts does a CPAP machine use?  You may want a fairly fat extension cord so it doesn't get warm.

A CPAP machine typically consumes 30 to 60 watts without a heated humidifier at a usual pressure level of 7 to 12 cm H2O. The power consumption of CPAP machines can reach 70–100 watts when heated humidifiers are used in higher-pressure settings.

The fairly fat cord Azamara provided was adequate.

• Like 1

I can't remember if Azamara allows a home-type extension cord. Many cruise lines do not. But they will provide everything you need. Your steward will tape down the cord. While the yellow cord is larger than a typical cord it is not big enough to trip over. By day 2 you won't even notice it.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used a CPAP during our 28 days (B2B) on the Onward in January and February. I did not need an extension cord. The power cord to the CPAP and the power brick cord were more than long enough to connect to the bedside outlet. We just returned last week from a short cruise on another line where that was not the case. An extension cord was needed to get to an outlet by the desk across the room.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rabo said:

I used a CPAP during our 28 days (B2B) on the Onward in January and February. I did not need an extension cord. The power cord to the CPAP and the power brick cord were more than long enough to connect to the bedside outlet. We just returned last week from a short cruise on another line where that was not the case. An extension cord was needed to get to an outlet by the desk across the room.

Was that an accessible cabin?  I don't remember the reimagined ships standard verandah and window cabins having an outlet by the bed. In an accessible one there was. 

Phil 

We've not been on Azamara for several years, but my OH used a CPAP machine with his own extension cord taped down (by the steward) to reach the power outlet. We've had a standard balcony cabin. My OH's machine doesn't use distilled water. As well as advising Azamara (and other cruise lines we use), we also inform the airlines, which grant him extra hand luggage allowance.

• Like 1

Phil, we were in a small suite on deck 8 when we sailed on Onward in December. The outlet for John's CPAP was right next to the bed. I don't know if the bedside outlets in the standard balcony cabins were replaced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Was that an accessible cabin?  I don't remember the reimagined ships standard verandah and window cabins having an outlet by the bed. In an accessible one there was. 

Phil 

Phil,

Not an accessible. We were in a P1 (deck 7 aft) for the first segment, and moved to a Club Continent (deck 8, starboard, more forward) for the second. 

btw . . . Is the Japan Intensive you booked for next year the March 7 sailing? We'll be on that one after the Western Australia to Asia. Hope to meet you!

Jerry

• Like 2

We sailed last summer in a standard veranda cabin on Pursuit. My husband uses a cpap, we requested distilled water and an extension cord in advance from special needs. They were both in the cabin when we embarked. When he ran low on the water during the cruise, our cabin steward brought more. The outlet in our cabin was not next to the head of the bed but on the opposite wall, so the extension cord was used. No problems at all.

We also found that the lead was safely taped across the cabin when this was the only solution to plug in and reach the bed. My husband has taken his CPAP on 10 or more cruises. Distilled water and an extension lead were produced instantly on request. 

We are on Journey now in a standard veranda and there are no outlets on the wall where the bed is. Our room attendant brought an extension cord that plugged in at the desk, then he taped it down for safety. Not pretty but it works. 

6 hours ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Following this discussion about CPAP .

My husband uses one. Does this mean there is only one outlet in the room? These days we have iPhones/I pads and cameras to charge. 

There are several outlets above the desk on all the ships

• Thanks 1