Plugs, Power Outlets and Sockets

Fixit2010

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, its not.  There is no issue with using a grounded extension cord, as long as it is not surge protected.

That is what I thought.  Couldn't understand why a non surge protection extension cord would be an issue for anyone.  Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 2:46 PM, chengkp75 said:

No, its not.  There is no issue with using a grounded extension cord, as long as it is not surge protected.  The ground on the ship's outlets (and the 220v outlets have ground as well, in the two spring clips on the sides of the recessed outlet), works the same as the ground on land, to protect you from short circuits.  The only device that interferes with the ship's electrical system is a surge protector, plain and simple.

As for the razor outlet in the bath, as it shows in the photo, it is limited to 20va (or watts in simplistic terms), which means about 0.16 amp. 

So, a US adapter (only) with a ground (round) prong as well as the pair, is fine?

The sort that works in “smile” outlets at home?

image.thumb.jpeg.7fd7c9843bb7ea350d07497c58b4f3a5.jpeg

• Like 1

I am thankful I’m not so tied to technology that I worry about having multiple plugs…I do,see folks with all kinds of stuff though, and could see the issue you may have.  

Maybe bring on one of these? 

https://www.costco.com/geneverse-homepower-two-pro-solar-generator-bundle.product.4000065311.html

image.jpeg.9b67b144f4af7217d4a550b120f32d21.jpeg

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alakegirl said:

Celebrity does have issues with extensions cords and often confiscates them.

They give you an extension cord if you ask.  I don't think they have issues with extension cords, just ones that have plugs on them, and could be surge protection.  A simple extension cord should not raise any concerns.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I am thankful I’m not so tied to technology that I worry about having multiple plugs…I do,see folks with all kinds of stuff though, and could see the issue you may have.  

Maybe bring on one of these? 

https://www.costco.com/geneverse-homepower-two-pro-solar-generator-bundle.product.4000065311.html

image.jpeg.9b67b144f4af7217d4a550b120f32d21.jpeg

If only, but thats a baby one, if I could Id bring an entire substation 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Remember not to bring any extension cords or any power strips that have surge protectionnfeatures

When going through scanner in carry on luggage, how would they know which ones have surge protection features?

Laura

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

When going through scanner in carry on luggage, how would they know which ones have surge protection features?

Laura

They open you bag and visually inspect. 

I use either a 1 to 2 splitter or a 1 to 4 splitter when I cruise. These cables have no surge protectors.

If you are wondering why surge protectors are a big deal on ships, it's for safety reasons. Land-based power consists of a 120 volt "hot" leg and a "neutral" leg (plus ground), thus if the surge protector goes off, it can do so safely. Marine-based power consists of two 60 volt legs (plus ground) which carry current and total 120 volts, but the surge protector can't safety dump the power, thus it's a fire hazard. 

Edited by Z'Loth
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:27 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

They give you an extension cord if you ask.  I don't think they have issues with extension cords, just ones that have plugs on them, and could be surge protection.  A simple extension cord should not raise any concerns.

Unfortunately Celebrity prohibits Extension Cords -   I have had one flagged and my baggage went to the Naughty Room.   I now just have them bring me one.

Interesting Google Result-

Before you pack an extension cord, check with your cruise line. Some — like Carnival, MSC, Norwegian and Virgin Voyages — permit guests to use power cords in their cabins. Cunard, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises do not.   Apr 18, 2023

2 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

I use either a 1 to 2 splitter or a 1 to 4 splitter when I cruise. These cables have no surge protectors.

If you are wondering why surge protectors are a big deal on ships, it's for safety reasons. Land-based power consists of a 120 volt "hot" leg and a "neutral" leg (plus ground), thus if the surge protector goes off, it can do so safely. Marine-based power consists of two 60 volt legs (plus ground) which carry current and total 120 volts, but the surge protector can't safety dump the power, thus it's a fire hazard. 

I always keep an eye out for "hot legs" on a cruise 😁

40 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I have this one to put in my carry on. Will they catch and keep this one?

Laura

I'd hope so.

It's electrically unnecessary and a potential fire hazard. Why even take it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I have this one to put in my carry on. Will they catch and keep this one?

Laura

They may or may not but as others said, this is very unsafe for shipboard use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

Well, not quite.  Land based "neutral" wires carry current as well as the hot wire.  It is just that it carries current at ground potential (voltage).  When a surge protector "goes off", meaning it is dumping high voltage, it does not do so to "neutral", but to "ground", so whether the "neutral" wire is at ground voltage (land based), or at 60 volts (ship based), has no bearing.  The problems with surge protectors on ships is more complicated than that, but essentially due to the fact that neither wire is connected to ground (like the neutral wire is on land), and there are multiple voltage levels present on the ship.

If a surge protector being used on a ship were to experience a high voltage, it would work normally to dump the voltage, just like it would on land.  Except that the sources of high voltage that cause problems on land, are not present on ships, and therefore the surge protection is not needed.  A perfectly working surge protector, on a ship, even without a voltage spike to trigger it, can fail due to a ground fault in another location, far away from the cabin with the surge protector.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I recently bought a non-surge protected extension cord on Amazon for home and (hopefully) cruise use. It has USB outlets in addition to plug outlet on it. If I bring it in my carry-on in the original packaging that states non-surge protected will it be confiscated anyway? This is the one I bought: Power Strip with USB C - Extension Cord with 3 Outlets 4 USB Ports (22.5W/4.5A), 5ft, Addtam Flat Plug Desktop Charging Station, Non Surge Protector for Cruise Ship, Dorm Room Office Home Essentials.

I'd appreciate any responses even though they may be opinions. 😊

54 minutes ago, BAYA said:

I recently bought a non-surge protected extension cord on Amazon for home and (hopefully) cruise use. It has USB outlets in addition to plug outlet on it. If I bring it in my carry-on in the original packaging that states non-surge protected will it be confiscated anyway? This is the one I bought: Power Strip with USB C - Extension Cord with 3 Outlets 4 USB Ports (22.5W/4.5A), 5ft, Addtam Flat Plug Desktop Charging Station, Non Surge Protector for Cruise Ship, Dorm Room Office Home Essentials.

I've used a similar one for years without issue. The one I use is rated for any power type so I use a European adapter. I plug it into the European outlet to free up THE US plug at the desk and keep all of our devices charged.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 1:46 PM, Fixit2010 said:

Can anyone tell me on the Silhouette, balcony cabins,

how many plug sockets are there?

I have a feeling there are 2 US and 1 EU type and they are all by the TV stand thing.

Are there any more and during the refit, did Celebrity have the common sense to install USB power outlets?

I tend to bring a lot of tech with me and it doesn't run on air.

thanks

Only suites had USB outlets added. In all other cabins power is exactly as before the refit. 

On 11/10/2023 at 2:01 PM, BAYA said:

I’ve taken a non surge protected multi socket adaptor (similar to this but with a UK plug) on board in my hand luggage and it has never been confiscated. 

IMG_4273.png

• Thanks 1