Deployment 2025-26 booking season begins

I know initially it was promised icon would sail out of Southampton wonder why that changed, obviously the weather is colder and a lot of the ship is open but I was surprised when Miami was announced, maybe icon 2 🤷🏼‍♀️

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

We in Bayonne are losing Anthem for the winter sails and replaced by Odyssey which does not have an indoor pool.  Don't understand the logic.

Odyssey is a great ship and includes some upgrades that make it stand out from the other Quantum ships.  The solarium is still indoors, so perhaps they will open that up to families on the colder days.  Outside of the holidays I can’t imagine many kids on these sailings during the winter.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Polition67 said:

I know initially it was promised icon would sail out of Southampton wonder why that changed, obviously the weather is colder and a lot of the ship is open but I was surprised when Miami was announced, maybe icon 2 🤷🏼‍♀️

I don’t think Icon was ever planned to be home-ported from Southampton. Michael Bayley was very selective with his words when it was announced, saying that the UK will be the first market that Icon sails to. This was likely just going to be some TA previews and possibly a couple of shorter ‘taster’ sailings for guests, but far from a full deployment I believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I personally have never understood the people who go on many cruises a year on same ship around same locations. Where is the excitement in that?

We as a family like to try new things, ships, destinations, food, meeting new people. Its much more fun and exciting. 

Agreed. But I would point you to the millions of Brits who happily fly to the same resort in Spain or the Canaries or the Algarve and stay in the same hotel year after year after year. Not my cup of tea but it obviously works for them.

And Cunard seems to do ok with the same ships sailing out of Southampton for years on end. For every person who craves a new ship or new destinations, there’s one (or very likely more) who wants the same holiday year in, year out. That’s just human nature.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Polition67 said:

Icon was never going to be sailing from Southampton. It would only have been a show off event for the trade and media before she left for the USA.  Here’s what we’ve just built … but we’re outta here! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

It has been reported in the Press that Amsterdam has decided to close a cruise ship terminal in an attempt to limit tourism.

Wonder this development will factor into future deployment plans?

image.png.e2565e62961af2229df1f1e816780d0a.png

Dutch sources in other threads suggest this is years down the line, and the existing terminal would be replaced by a new one further away from the city centre. So it’s unlikely to have much of an impact on future deployments.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonesy4life9 said:

Odyssey is a great ship and includes some upgrades that make it stand out from the other Quantum ships.  The solarium is still indoors, so perhaps they will open that up to families on the colder days.  Outside of the holidays I can’t imagine many kids on these sailings during the winter.

I've sailed in October, February and April and always a bunch of kids.  I don't mind as I sail with 3 granddaughters on occasions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonesy4life9 said:

The only disadvantage is not having the indoor pool. Odyssey has Playmakers, Lime & Coconut and the main dining room area is much nicer. No Johnny Rockets, either, on Odyssey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toad455 said:

The only disadvantage is not having the indoor pool. Odyssey has Playmakers, Lime & Coconut and the main dining room area is much nicer. No Johnny Rockets, either, on Odyssey.

Big advantage for Odyssey ... no Spectra's Cabaret.  😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

It feels like there is a misunderstanding between higher ups at Royal and the Southampton market. Many cruisers in the area do have fond memories of Indy, it did great for just over a decade in the area, arguably got many into cruising as it was one of the first real mega ships in the UK.

But can she compete as the sole ship in the market in 2025 when other cruise lines have stepped up their offerings? I just feel like the landscape is very different now to the early-mid 2010s.

I still think it's a market best served by 2 ships - which it had been from 2005-2019 (there were even 3 in 2013, 14 & 15). Why things seem to have fallen apart between Royal and the UK over the past 5 years is the question I'd want to know the answer to, especially when it's obvious that there is still plenty of interest in cruises from the UK. Even before the pandemic - they handled the 2020 Indy cancellations back in May 2019 absolutely appallingly.

excellent post!!

4 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

thank you

I did hear on Anthem that an Oasis was coming to Sou. Also 2 ships and with the news about Amsterdam, it's a possibility.

Can't see them going back to Harwich again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigeck said:

I did hear on Anthem that an Oasis was coming to Sou. Also 2 ships and with the news about Amsterdam, it's a possibility.

Can't see them going back to Harwich again.

According to this post from CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association), reports regarding Amsterdam terminal closure are incorrect and there are already plans to install shore-power facilities to reduce the long-term impact on the environment.

Check out this link for the full statement.  

Plus, as already mentioned, there are very limited ports that could handle Oasis Class along Southampton routes, so the chance of OC having a UK deployment would be very very slim in my opinion.

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 2

Pretty sure RC has a few spare ships hanging around, they should just leave one in Aus for winter!! I say Winter loosely for QLD, today is a cold day and it’s 25 degrees Celsius 

I also heard Anthem is coming to Australia 25/26, so just swapping a Quantum class for a Quantum class 😢

On 7/14/2023 at 9:03 PM, Jumping Cruiser said:

Funchal, Madeira - Port Bookings (Correct as of 14/07/23)

Only Independence currently booked into Funchal, but I would expect more to pop up in the future as this is a common stop on TAs.

20th May 2025 - Independence OTS

6th October 2025 - Independence OTS

20th October 2025 - Independence OTS

Couldn't the 6th October 25 maybe a 12 night Canaries cruise from Southampton?

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Just one more bl**dy cruise to the Canaries and the Spanish authorities will be after me for residents' tax!😠

Regards,

Cublet

I'll trade you Port Canaveral and Nassau (typical Anthem and Oasis itineraries from Cape Liberty) for the Canaries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2