Plus package for non-drinker?

Sandie5

On 7/21/2023 at 1:24 PM, deltahog said:

Why would you need to bring your own water?  Are you saying water isn't available unless you buy a drink package?

I was assured (elsewhere) that water, iced tea, basic coffee (not specialties) and "sometimes" juice or lemonade is available without a drink package.

Yes, all available free on board.  Juice and lemonade not at dinner, but available at other times.

Princess water package is really cheap; I usually get the 12 bottle package and it has been under $15.  The free water on board is fine but I like to have a bottle with me without always having to go to a bar, etc. to get a glass of water.

We rarely drink and I have never bought a drink on a ship.  The Plus plan has never made sense to me if you don't drink.  I also rarely drink pop and can get along fine without specialty coffee, mocktails, etc.  I do usually buy a water bottle package, which is very cheap. 

I do the math and so far we are way ahead to just pay our gratuities and wifi--which is 50% off for us as Platinum cruisers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

We are always amused by how many people we meet at Coroner's drinking Martini's who claim they don't drink!

I guess that is the coroner and their helper, not the body they are working on. ,😃😆😆😆😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don’t drink and still get plus. Our decision isn’t always based on saving money.

We just don’t like hauling anything onboard by hand that is heavy. And trust me, there is never room in the suitcase to put a couple of 12-packs.

I don’t want to see a huge bill the last night of the cruise and trying to remember if all the charges are correct or not.

I like the feeling we can order anything we want to drink without thinking of the price or how many we get.

Enjoy trying different mocktails that we wouldn’t try if we had to pay separately.

Tips and WiFi already taken care of before setting foot on the ship is also a nice feeling.

• Like 6

Ho hum.  95% of teetotalers should not buy the plus package.  There are a few exceptions to this rule and that's where the 5% comes in.  

On the other hand, there are those that got extremely great value when the Plus package was 40 per day, just great value when it increased to 50 per day and are still getting value when it increased to 60 per day, which is what we paid for our 28 days on the Enchanted and 28 days on the Sun over the next 25 months.

The bottom line is simple.  If you enjoy a few adult beverages while you're on vacation, adding in the gratuities and wifi make it a value purchase.  If you don't drink and don't use wifi on board,then pass on the plus package.  It's that simple.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We always get plus, especially now that it can be bought on-board with on-board credit.  

Hubs rarely drinks and I'll have a couple a day, with several days being close to 15.  But I can drink my weight in butter pecan lattes and hubs thoroughly enjoys his key west coolers. 

And being able to order drinks anywhere, especially the 3 AM lattes is amazing!

After cruising carnival a couple of times in the last year, I can tell you what kind of value the plus package is to us. 

And that's my opinion. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, justafem said:

After cruising carnival a couple of times in the last year, I can tell you what kind of value the plus package is to us. 

And that's my opinion. 

After having cruised on Carnival, MSC, NCL and RCI within the past year, we wholeheartedly agree with you.  The Plus package was an extremely great value at 40 and still is at 60. 

• Thanks 2

On the Caribbean Princess in Feb, I talked to the Food and Beverage Manager about having other packages- Soda, wifi, Tips  or Coffee, wifi, tips.  He thought that was a good idea and said he would pass it on.  Who knows if he did?

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

After having cruised on Carnival, MSC, NCL and RCI within the past year, we wholeheartedly agree with you.  The Plus package was an extremely great value at 40 and still is at 60. 

Only if you're a heavy drinker. 

• Haha 4

Where buying either package for us is the fact that both in the cabin MUST purchase a package . DW does not drink, rarely uses WIFI do the only benefit for her would be the gratuities. So at $120.00 per day for the cabin it comes to over $840.00 extra for the cabin just for the Plus package. Not even a consideration for us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Potstech said:

So at $120.00 per day for the cabin it comes to over $840.00 extra for the cabin just for the Plus package. Not even a consideration for us.

I've mentioned this in other threads.  I do not buy the package for the reason you mention, but I'm glad people are, and I'm guessing the majority of the ship.

It's high profits for the cruise line, people are happy paying for it for various reasons mentioned in this thread, and I hope is keeping cruise only cost down for the rest of us.  Win/win/win for all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I've mentioned this in other threads.  I do not buy the package for the reason you mention, but I'm glad people are, and I'm guessing the majority of the ship.

It's high profits for the cruise line, people are happy paying for it for various reasons mentioned in this thread, and I hope is keeping cruise only cost down for the rest of us.  Win/win/win for all.

The only thing I regret is that they included the WIFI into the package, not that I relied on using it all that much, but it was nice at times. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Everyone’s definition oh heavy drinker is different. For us 8-10 drinks would not be unusual on a cruise or on a weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still on the fence but leaning towards Plus. Right off the bat, DH will pay 16 for crew appreciation and 15 for WIFI. That's 31 right there. So for another 30 he gets all those drinks. I was leaning towards the Zero alcohol package at 30 but he's only breaking even. 

If he gets the Plus pkg, then I'm forced to as well.

I was ok skipping on Wifi and only drinking sodas and coffees (i.e. 16 appreciation & 30 drinks pkg) but it looks like if one person wants alcohol, the other has to pay up as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phabric said:

On day 1 and 2 only while on the ship, you can purchase the Plus and  soda packages per person.

Day 2? - didn't know that.  Is the package discounted by a day? - if not, are day one drinks retroactively included in the package and removed from your folio?

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

Day 2? - didn't know that.  Is the package discounted by a day? - if not, are day one drinks retroactively included in the package and removed from your folio?

I don’t know.    I ask at a bar while on the Caribbean Princess in Feb about purchasing the soda package onboard and he said only on day 1 and 2. Around that time, Princess had dropped the soda and coffee packages off the On Board Services that is why I asked about purchasing onboard.

Before when the different packages began available, Princess used to sell soda package stickers with a drink cup near the elevators and buffet.  It was priced for the whole cruise even if you bought a few days into your cruise.

23 minutes ago, phabric said:

On day 1 and 2 only while on the ship, you can purchase the Plus and  soda packages per person.

I believe you are referring to the Plus drink package by itself not the Plus package including Wi-Fi and gratuities 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I believe you are referring to the Plus drink package by itself not the Plus package including Wi-Fi and gratuities 

If they do not drink a lot, purchasing the Plus drink only for one and separately purchase WiFi (share) and tips and the other person purchases the package they want and separately the tips.  

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

After factoring out the tips and wifi, you only need to drink 3 alcoholic drinks a day.  That's far from heavy drinking.  We've been down this road before and we know you're on the borderline teetotaler side of the line in the sand. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1