Amsterdam bans cruise ships

• balletgemma17 changed the title to Amsterdam bans cruise ships
2 hours ago, mrpie90 said:

When is this effective from?

where will the cruise ships already booked dock now?

Hasn't been decided yet, but it will be years in the future. Nothing is even final yet. There are no worries necessary for already booked cruises. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They did not ban cruise ships. They just want to move the cruise terminal out of downtown.

That's a very misleading article.

Well the first line of the article does read

Amsterdam's council has banned cruise ships from the city centre 

Just now, gavvy said:

Well the first line of the article does read

Amsterdam's council has banned cruise ships from the city centre 

But the headline says Amsterdam outright banned cruise ships. And people these days don't often get past headlines (not referring to the OP)

• Like 3

I suppose it depends where the new terminal ends up.

Apparently they want to build a new bridge that would prohibit most ships from docking- so that's probably the biggest driver here.  If they really wanted to 'clean up' Amsterdam they would remove the red light district, but I assume it earns them too much tax revenue.

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

If they really wanted to 'clean up' Amsterdam they would remove the red light district, but I assume it earns them too much tax revenue.

I think there is talk of them moving the red light district.

8 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

I am from the Netherlands, so read some Dutch articles about it. Apparently it is mainly about moving the cruise terminal out of the city center to another location. Not a ban all together. 

Do you think they would look at Ijmuiden (North Sea side of locks) or possibly Westpoort area?

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Do you think they would look at Ijmuiden (North Sea side of locks) or possibly Westpoort area?

Possibly a new terminal in Sloterdijk...But I have read a great post by Dutch_Travelgirl and she gave some very helpful info. Seems like this move will take several years.

Edited by Ashland

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

They did not ban cruise ships. They just want to move the cruise terminal out of downtown.

That's a very misleading article.

So just like every other article the modern press puts out 😞

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Possibly a new terminal in Sloterdijk...But I have read a great post by Dutch_Travelgirl and she gave some very helpful info. Seems like this move will take several years.

Not true this Cruise Critic Member all ready had there cruise moved from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, just a couple weeks ago.

If Celebrity is all ready moving ships from Amsterdam, seems it wouldn't be long before Royal starts to do it. (not several years either )

Edited by Jimbo

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not true this Cruise Critic Member all ready had there cruise moved from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, just a couple weeks ago.

If Celebrity is all ready moving ships from Amsterdam, seems it wouldn't be long before Royal starts to do it. (not several years either )

What is the date of your cruise that was moved to Rotterdam and when did they notify you of this, before or after final payment date? Had you booked flights/hotel etc and how was it handled?

Hopefully just because other cruiseline's have moved I'm still hopeful RCI will not change the last two cruises in July 2024 to sail from Amsterdam as this is as far out as the schedule goes.

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

What is the date of your cruise that was moved to Rotterdam and when did they notify you of this, before or after final payment date? Had you booked flights/hotel etc and how was it handled?

Hopefully just because other cruiseline's have moved I'm still hopeful RCI will not change the last two cruises in July 2024 to sail from Amsterdam as this is as far out as the schedule goes.

@terrydtx

Why would you worry about flights or hotel rooms anyway, the 2 cities are only like 30 to 45 minutes apart. Just use local transportation to get you from one port or the other.

Just fly into which ever city you want.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

@terrydtx

Why would you worry about flights or hotel rooms anyway, the 2 cities are only like 30 to 45 minutes apart. Just use local transportation to get you from one port or the other.

Just fly into which ever city you want.

I was hoping for an answer about you handled it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I was hoping for an answer about you handled it.

Our cruise is just before you in June 2024, We are going to fly into Amsterdam, no matter where the cruise sails from.

59 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There is also the salt problem with the lock.

Yes, I am so grateful Royal did not move cruises to Rotterdam last year like other lines did.  We did a B3B on Jewel out of Amsterdam last summer, and we absolutely loved the daytime sail-in and sail-out of Amsterdam for each of those cruises!

• Like 1