Celebrity Pricing

ncgolferette

15 hours ago, horseymike said:

There comes a point when people reach a price point where a product is no longer worth it to them any longer…. Time will tell.

Agree that the market will eventually sort things out. Like the housing, stock market, and US national debt it may be sustained for a very long time but things will eventually revert to the mean. We have 2 X cruises planned (one in a discounted SS) and feel we are at the absolute limit of acceptable pricing for us. Cruise booking were made 1 and 2 years ago. We have bid on a SS upgrade from IV on Apex and if we 'win' (don't expect to) we would be paying half of a normal suite price (if anyone can figure what that is because it changes like the weather). Even at that price am debating the value prop. Where we planned (and did in past) to take 3-4 cruises a year we have only recently booked all inclusives and land vacations for future travel. Am caually looking at additional cruises but have sadly pushed cruising form the number one 'don't look elsewhere vacation choice'  to an 'outside' option. I just can't push the 'non-refundable' button. While I know we may not be typical cruisers (if there is such a thing) I can't believe it is ultimately positive for the Industry to drive 'die hard' fans to leave.  Experienced the same pattern/outcome with our yearly Disney trips and their pricing and policies may be finally coming home to roost. JMHO

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I want to tread lightly here, as I had started a thread on travel agents that, while not deleted, was gutted and locked due to hints and such.  So none of that, please.

That said, I just booked a 7 night Mediterranean panoramic ocean view on Ascent a few days ago.  While it has no perks, it is fully refundable.  The price with this particular travel agent, who of course shall remain nameless, was $2,476 for the two of us.  I just priced out the same cabin on Celebrity's site and it's a bit north of $6,000 for two.  Making it refundable added about $850 to the price (included in the $6k), but remember with the travel agent, it was fully refundable from the beginning.  Even though it has no perks, I think I can get $200 OBC and a bottle of wine from my credit card.

Not sure you'd have the same experience, and I've not booked a suite on Celebrity, but it may make sense to shop around.

I thought TA’s couldn’t discount cruises, but just give perks like OBC. I wish we could list TA’s on here. 

• Like 1

There was a particular restaurant that we enjoyed for years , always enjoyed going there , always looked forward it. Over time the prices became such that as much as we enjoyed it , we could no longer justify the cost. Haven’t been there in years and most likely will never go back.

I’m not trying to sound or be important, that is just the reality of the situation.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I thought TA’s couldn’t discount cruises, but just give perks like OBC. I wish we could list TA’s on here. 

Are you old enough to remember this ad 🤔😁

call around and see what groups TAs have out there 

our next transatlantic cruise on the Connie in a balcony is  $100 per person per night with Always included, refundable, taxes and OBC , which was Celebrity price without Always included and not refundable 

it was book a year ago , so we wouldn’t  see price that good anymore 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Are you old enough to remember this ad 🤔😁

call around and see what groups TAs have out there 

our next transatlantic cruise on the Connie in a balcony is  $100 per person per night with Always included, refundable, taxes and OBC , which was Celebrity price without Always included and not refundable 

it was book a year ago , so we wouldn’t  see price that good anymore 

I don’t recall this ad. 

I'd consider $17k, let alone $23k, way excessive for what is provided in a Sky Suite, and I would never ever pay that much. They must have lost their mind!

IMHO, a Sky Suite isn't worth more than $1k/night, and that's with all inclusions and some OBC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Agree that the market will eventually sort things out. Like the housing, stock market, and US national debt it may be sustained for a very long time but things will eventually revert to the mean. We have 2 X cruises planned (one in a discounted SS) and feel we are at the absolute limit of acceptable pricing for us. Cruise booking were made 1 and 2 years ago. We have bid on a SS upgrade from IV on Apex and if we 'win' (don't expect to) we would be paying half of a normal suite price (if anyone can figure what that is because it changes like the weather). Even at that price am debating the value prop. Where we planned (and did in past) to take 3-4 cruises a year we have only recently booked all inclusives and land vacations for future travel. Am caually looking at additional cruises but have sadly pushed cruising form the number one 'don't look elsewhere vacation choice'  to an 'outside' option. I just can't push the 'non-refundable' button. While I know we may not be typical cruisers (if there is such a thing) I can't believe it is ultimately positive for the Industry to drive 'die hard' fans to leave.  Experienced the same pattern/outcome with our yearly Disney trips and their pricing and policies may be finally coming home to roost. JMHO

Good points all.  All cruise lines are trying to recover their balance sheets helped by pent up demand but in the case of Celebrity, the price point is nearing the realm of the genuine 5 star lines but the offer, though good, is someway short.  The risk is stalwarts of X who figure why not try the alternatives may not be in a hurry to come back, and the price will have to be the thing that eventually tempts them back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I don't know the inner workings of the travel agent business, but, as you know, some offer OBC and how much depends on the sailing, price and travel agency.

Travel agents may also have access to special rates that aren't "discounted" per se, although that's the net effect, but rather, a lower rate category that the cruise line may not offer directly.  In my case, I think it was NOPERKS, or something like that.  And I did see similar rates with 2 different travel agencies, but I picked the one that was the lowest by about $150.  I'm frankly not sure if something like the rate I got is a group rate, or just an option within the NOPERKS category that is not a group rate.

As you may also know, on certain sailings, some travel agents may offer these group rates where I believe they've taken down a block of cabins and they can then sell them at more favorable terms.

I've booked most cruises on my own, but there are times where the travel agents can get you some really good rates that are not publicized.

To repeat something I mentioned earlier, no mention of travel agents or "hints" please, as it's a good conversation and we don't want to get it deleted by breaking the rules.

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

I'd consider $17k, let alone $23k, way excessive for what is provided in a Sky Suite, and I would never ever pay that much. They must have lost their mind!

IMHO, a Sky Suite isn't worth more than $1k/night, and that's with all inclusions and some OBC.

I don’t know what the maximum, per night, we would pay, I do know it would be below $300 p.p. per night. Our supposedly  took our last cruise, on any line in December 2016 as we could find nothing that met our value requirement. Just for kicks, we started looking at suites, all lines, all ships. August 2018, 14 days MSC Seaside, in Deluxe Yacht Club, about $200 p.p.pd,, Best Cruise ever!  October  2018, 14 days in Grand Suite, great time, would do again.  August 2019, 14 days in Sky Suite on the Equinox, $300 p.p.p.d. It was more than I normally pay but I just had to check out what all the hype was all about, disappointed. It was all right but the value wasn’t anywhere near where it had to be.   October 2019, 14 days on MSC Seaside, about the same price with the same results. We decided we would do suites only, probably just on RCL Oasis class ships or the new MSC ones. Post pandemic, none of the lines are even within our value for the money limits, so we’ll stay home for however long it takes, if ever.

Before you get your undies in a bundle, we put 0 value on the drink packages, internet, and obc from the cruise line. This is our opinion only, if you decide to flame me, be my guest, but be prepared for the response.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:06 AM, ncgolferette said:

Ten days ago I made a reservation with a TA for a cruise on the Ascent for September 2024.  The reservation was for a SS1 and price I was quoted was $17k.  Today, I checked celebrity’s web site and the price for the same type of suite had jumped to $23k!  I have until Tuesday to make the NRD.  I’m somewhat overwhelmed as to why Celebrity has increased the fare so much in ten days.  It appears there are tons of cabins and suites available for the sailing.  Are they getting ready for another “sale”?  

If that was my budget I would compare the value with Seabourn, Silversea, and the other true luxury lines. Of note, it appears Celebrity is removing Butler/Retreat hosts from Sky Suites effective Aug 15, 2023.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Before you get your undies in a bundle, we put 0 value on the drink packages, internet, and obc from the cruise line. This is our opinion only, if you decide to flame me, be my guest, but be prepared for the response.

I get that wifi may not matter to you, and even drinks at a push, but OBC not having value?

Other than that I happen to agree with most of your methodology and though I might come to a slightly different conclusion on the value threshold, I admire your resolve. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Boycey said:

....in the case of Celebrity, the price point is nearing the realm of the genuine 5 star lines but the offer, though good, is someway short.

I wonder if it's a demographics thing. I'm in my early 40s and cruise with friends and none of us have any interest in cruising the 'genuine 5* lines' even if the price was the same as an equivalent Celebrity cruise. We have no interest in spending a day on board knitting or napping or playing cards, we don't want to eat at 6pm and go to bed at 9pm because the ship is empty at that time and theres nothing else to do. I know those are stereotypical generalisations but the more expensive luxury lines do cater to a much older clientele. I think Celebrity are trying to reach out and attract younger cruisers who do want much of what true luxury lines offer, but without quite so much of the stuffiness and with a bit more of a lively atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, OysterD said:

I wonder if it's a demographics thing. I'm in my early 40s and cruise with friends and none of us have any interest in cruising the 'genuine 5* lines' even if the price was the same as an equivalent Celebrity cruise. We have no interest in spending a day on board knitting or napping or playing cards, we don't want to eat at 6pm and go to bed at 9pm because the ship is empty at that time and theres nothing else to do. I know those are stereotypical generalisations but the more expensive luxury lines do cater to a much older clientele. I think Celebrity are trying to reach out and attract younger cruisers who do want much of what true luxury lines offer, but without quite so much of the stuffiness and with a bit more of a lively atmosphere. 

Yes agree from perhaps an alternate perspective. We have looked into the premium lines and acknowledge they may offer increasing 'value' with the pricing increases of 'mainstream' lines but have no interest in being on a smaller ship with less entertainment, dining, or gambling options. While we are older and not party animals we do look forward to the variety on the larger ships. Probably will never do one of the luxury lines or even a river cruise.

We like the option of many things to do as the mood suits. So while we might fit the 'luxury' mold with age and income we are not looking to go there in the future.  

7 hours ago, Boycey said:

I get that wifi may not matter to you, and even drinks at a push, but OBC not having value?

Other than that I happen to agree with most of your methodology and though I might come to a slightly different conclusion on the value threshold, I admire your resolve. 

Thanks for the level headed response. To explain why those items have no value to us… We are Elite Plus so we get the free drinks everyday including the cappuccino at the Bistro and Bloody Mary’s at the Elite breakfast, that’s more than we normally drink. We, each get 240 minutes of free internet which we have never even come close to using it all.Nonrefundable obc is different. Pricing being what it is, there is nothing on the ship we can’t live without so we would be spending it on something we don’t need or want. This might be just our opinion, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

I look at this from a little different perspective.

In the past, I would price out a Princess vs Celebrity Caribbean cruise and they would be comparable.

Recently we priced out a 10 day Caribbean for Jan 2025 (Sky vs Beyond) and Celebrity was $800 more.

We did end up going Celebrity as we’ve been frustrated with not being able to get a guaranteed cabin # (Princess is easy to switch cabins on you.  They claim it’s an upgrade but all I want is the room I booked and they can’t seem to guarantee that)

3 hours ago, OysterD said:

Interestingly, the very same point is often made on the Royal Caribbean board when people ask whether to take the step ‘up’ to Celebrity, and of course it’s not until they actually try it for themselves that they realise how wrong the assumption is.

Virgin could suit? More in line with the demographic you describe and in my experience more lively than Celebrity.

14 hours ago, Boycey said:

I can speak for myself. I cruise 7-8 times a year and have 80+ cruises completed, the majority Caribbean. I don’t need shore excursions. I am Zenith so already get Wi-Fi and premium drinks. I don’t need another piece of expensive jewelry or expensive photos. I prefer my spa at home. I may use a little OBC on a specialty dinner or a little gambling, but overall struggle to use that non refundable OBC. Would much rather have a cheaper fare. No offense meant to those who desire it, just explaining why some of us don’t find it a good thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OysterD said:

Come on now, we older folks are not all stuffy🙂. I hate knitting, never play cards onboard, eat at 8:00, never take a nap,  and ok, you got me, I’m usually in bed by 10ish. It is true that the luxury lines cater to an older crowd and are designed accordingly. Celebrity used to be that way also, perhaps a little younger demographic.  For whatever reason now they feel they need to be Royal 2.0. I understand the need to bring in new clientele. But I think before these changes there was a natural progression. Royal when you’re young and bringing kids with you, graduating to Celebrity when the kids are grown and you want a more relaxed experience. Everyone who’s lucky, gets older. Why is Celebrity trying to push us away then?!? With the huge Royal ships still being built, why build competing experiences? Won’t that soon be a problem filling ships if many of us old folks jump ship and try other lines? Doesn’t make good business sense to me. But I only spent 30+ years working in large corporations. What do I know? (rant directed at Celebrity, not you)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Yes agree from perhaps an alternate perspective. We have looked into the premium lines and acknowledge they may offer increasing 'value' with the pricing increases of 'mainstream' lines but have no interest in being on a smaller ship with less entertainment, dining, or gambling options. While we are older and not party animals we do look forward to the variety on the larger ships. Probably will never do one of the luxury lines or even a river cruise.

We like the option of many things to do as the mood suits. So while we might fit the 'luxury' mold with age and income we are not looking to go there in the future.  

Same here. I want more options onboard. I also get seasick too easily to enjoy those much smaller ships.

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I can speak for myself. I cruise 7-8 times a year and have 80+ cruises completed, the majority Caribbean. I don’t need shore excursions. I am Zenith so already get Wi-Fi and premium drinks. I don’t need another piece of expensive jewelry or expensive photos. I prefer my spa at home. I may use a little OBC on a specialty dinner or a little gambling, but overall struggle to use that non refundable OBC. Would much rather have a cheaper fare. No offense meant to those who desire it, just explaining why some of us don’t find it a good thing.

Not sure why you’re quoting me only to rebuke me?  My question was to another who’d already answered it in detail and with some clarity, but thanks for clearing up your exalted status. I’m much relieved…

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 6:23 AM, Boycey said:

Not sure why you’re quoting me only to rebuke me?  My question was to another who’d already answered it in detail and with some clarity, but thanks for clearing up your exalted status. I’m much relieved…

She (He?) didn't rebuke you, she just offered her experience, and saying she can speak for herself was only acknowledging that she was aware she was answering a question posed to someone else. It has been pointed out very often that some perks offered by Celebrity for reaching the hghest CC level are getting undermined by fares for Aqua on up that make AI mandatory. You can consider this a rebuke if you are looking to be offended.

• Like 1