Club Orange crowding

guerchino

27 minutes ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

How far in advance can you add Club Orange? I am looking at a June 2025 sailing, but was told it is not available yet. 

We just booked this week our Alaska cruise for June 2025 on the Nieuw Amsterdam with Club Orange.

I booked directly via de Dutch HAL office. I took 4 calls to get the booking correct and add Club Orange and get the upgrade from inside guarentee inside to the cabin we wanted. 

When I called I  got answers/remarks like Club Orange is impossible on the Nieuw Amsterdam, what is Club Orange?, your Future Cruise Deposit doesn't qualify for the reduced deposit and the free upgrade is not for inside cabins.

To be honest it feels like that they haven't any clue about the product they sell and I had to tell them what is and isn't possible.

• Like 1

I travel solo and usually like sitting with others in the MDR for dinner. This is one of the reasons I moved from anytime dining to fixed. When I did anytime dining I would often be given a table alone. Will Club Orange sit me with other guests or will I get my own table all the time? 

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I travel solo and usually like sitting with others in the MDR for dinner. This is one of the reasons I moved from anytime dining to fixed. When I did anytime dining I would often be given a table alone. Will Club Orange sit me with other guests or will I get my own table all the time? 

If you let them know you are willing to share, they will inquire for future evenings and you may well be seated with people and if you click, you’ll probably be told the same as I was - feel free to join us anytime we are here at the same time.

Otherwise you will be solo but the CO staff are very good at taking care of solos IME.

Just remember, there is no fixed dining.  When my friends joined me we just agreed on a time to go based on what we were advised.  

• Like 2

I had booked a cruise in a Neptune Suite before HAL started CO. I had requested early fixed dining. Then CO started. Maybe it's because it was only my second solo cruise, less than a year after DH died--the booking had originally been for both of us. I took one look at CO and I saw nearly all 2's and 4's, (only two tables for 6 IIRC) and imagined dinner alone in a room full of couples. Or worse, being at a four-top with a couple who didn't want company--we'd had a few past experiences with being sat with people who didn't really want "extras" at the table. At least then we were a couple and had each other to talk to. But I did NOT want to deal with that solo. It might have turned out to be fine, but I wasn't ready to deal with the possible negatives, especially since the Lounge cocktail party was not a mingling sort of group, other than one woman who seemed to be planning to drink her way through the cruise. 

So I asked to go back to the MDR for dinner but had breakfast in CO. I like a quiet breakfast, so that was nice, and the cooked to order waffles were delicious! I had the best of both worlds because I ended up at a lively table for 6 in the MDR. One couple went to trivia before dinner, so they would tell us some of the interesting questions. 

Now, five years (and 6 cruises) later, would I do the same thing? I don't know. It may be moot, because I don't like the Pinnacle ships, so it would take a must-do itinerary to make me sail on one again. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

How far in advance can you add Club Orange? I am looking at a June 2025 sailing, but was told it is not available yet. 

My son & his wife booked May 2025 through our travel agent and had club orange added that day (when the Alaska season opened).  Took a single phone call.  I booked a Neptune, so most of the club orange stuff is included for me.

Sue/WDW1972

When your son booked their May 2025 cruise, were they able to choose their stateroom as part of the Club Orange upgrade?

The stateroom I want is not available yet. Only a few in the category are showing up for VA and none are available for just V on the deck we want. The HAL representative I talked to said the one I want is NOT aready booked, but I have to wait until it and the Club Orange add on becomes available. 

Did you use a HAL agent  PCC or your own travel agent. I am getting the feeling the PCC I talked to did not know much about Club Orange.

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

My son & his wife booked May 2025 through our travel agent and had club orange added that day (when the Alaska season opened).  Took a single phone call.  I booked a Neptune, so most of the club orange stuff is included for me.

When your son booked their May 2025 cruise, were they able to choose their stateroom as part of the Club Orange upgrade?

The stateroom I want is not available yet. Only a few in the category are showing up for VA and none are available for just V on the deck we want. The HAL representative I talked to said the one I want is NOT aready booked, but I have to wait until it and the Club Orange add on becomes available. 

Did you use a HAL agent  PCC or your own travel agent. I am getting the feeling the PCC I talked to did not know much about Club Orange.

2 minutes ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

Yes they did.  They booked the cheapest oceanview, knowing they were adding club orange and would select one of the spa oceanviews that look over the bow with a bigger than normal window.  They did it via our travel agent (and old friend of mine who went into the travel business a couple decades ago).  

Sadly quite a few of the people working for HAL don't seem to have much of a clue.  My TA will sometimes get one of those and will text me to say "does this sound right to you" and when it's clear the HAL person is off base the TA will end the call and call back in to get a different person answering.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

The cruise you booked for May 2025, is it just a 7 day cruise (one segment) or is it a longer cruise that combines shorter cruises such has a 14 day with 2, 7 day cruises. The reason I ask is that not every stateroom shows available for the longer voyages. Often HAL will place their least desirable for the longer portion when in fact a much better state room would be available on each of the 2 segments. In that case one needs to find which stateroom they want that is available for both segments, then ask them to contact Inventory to have the stateroom you want placed into the longer segment. This can sometimes be a big challenge with so many new employees working for HAL. Many are not aware this can be done and will even go as far as to tell you that no you have no other options.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The cruise you booked for May 2025, is it just a 7 day cruise (one segment) or is it a longer cruise that combines shorter cruises such has a 14 day with 2, 7 day cruises. The reason I ask is that not every stateroom shows available for the longer voyages. Often HAL will place their least desirable for the longer portion when in fact a much better state room would be available on each of the 2 segments. In that case one needs to find which stateroom they want that is available for both segments, then ask them to contact Inventory to have the stateroom you want placed into the longer segment. This can sometimes be a big challenge with so many new employees working for HAL. Many are not aware this can be done and will even go as far as to tell you that no you have no other options.

I never thought of that. Thank you! But, I checked the two 7 day sailings for the same 14 day and the stateroom is still not available:/ I know, I shouldn't be so picky:) I will call a travel agent tomorrow and see what they can do. 

9 hours ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

I know, I shouldn't be so picky:)

Yes, you should be as picky as you want!! 😉 It's your cruise so get what you want if at all possible!  I have a feeling it will straighten out when you get an agent that knows the ropes.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and have fun on your cruise!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

I find the pricing to be inexplicable. 

If you are a solo on a 13 day cruise it is 13 x 25 =325.

If you are a solo on a 14 day cruise it is 14 x 15 = 210.

In what world does this make sense.  When I bought it for my upcoming 17 day cruise as a solo I assumed it would be (13 x 25) + (4 x 15) = 385.  What a pleasant surprise when it was 255, 17 x 15.

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

In what world does this make sense.  When I bought it for my upcoming 17 day cruise as a solo I assumed it would be (13 x 25) + (4 x 15) = 385.  What a pleasant surprise when it was 255, 17 x 15.

Yes, shorter cruises have a higher price for Club Orange.  One of the bonuses of a longer cruise is the cheaper per dime price 😃 

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

In what world does this make sense. 

Only in the world of Holland America does it make any sense at all.  Don't try and understand it...just accept they have their own way of doing things. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I find it surprising that the price structure is the same for Pinnacle ships and non-pinnacle ships. Although I didn't like the CO dining room, for most people, the smaller room with better service is a nice improvement over the MDR. Yes, on other ships, CO passengers get the extra dinner entree in MDR and a priority line for open seating, but that doesn't seem like equal value. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:33 AM, relo said:

get the upgrade from inside guarentee inside to the cabin we wanted. 

I recently booked an i/s and did a CO upgrade but really couldn’t see many i/s that were a better option. There are a few that were slightly bigger, or maybe more central, but they were already taken. Fairly last minute booking. This was Koningsdam. I havent sailed in i/s a lot… are there other features I could have looked for making one more desirable than another? Thanks!

2 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

are there other features I could have looked for making one more desirable than another?

Location!!  You wouldn't want to have a cabin on deck #1 under the Rolling Stone Rock Room, Main Stage, BB Kings, MDR Galley or Billboard On Board!!   I wouldn't want one on the aft of deck #8 under the pool deck either!!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2023 at 7:20 PM, kazu said:

I had Club Orange on the Koningsdam with a very sold out ship (past the max) and other than one 5 minute wait one breakfast I had no waits.

what I did on the first night was ask when the best times were to come.  Their advice was good and I followed it and never ever had a pager.

My tip is to ask for best times.  What seemed to work well on our cruise was very early (like 5PM) or 6:30 or 8 PM.   that was a Christmas/New Years cruise so that may not be the case for any one else’s.  Ask and they will advise of optimum times.

Is it my understanding from your post that CO opens at 5 PM nightly? The reason I ask is because we're thinking about booking a HAL cruise and my DW needs to eat early. Also, how difficult is it to get a 2-top if you show up when CO opens?

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is it my understanding from your post that CO opens at 5 PM nightly? The reason I ask is because we're thinking about booking a HAL cruise and my DW needs to eat early. Also, how difficult is it to get a 2-top if you show up when CO opens?

It opened at 5 PM on my cruise - 3 segments.  I can’t vouch for that for all cruises, of course but from my conversation with the CO manager, it seemed to normally be 5 PM.`

It’s not hard to get a two top or, alternatively a 4 top which just the two of you will have (which I saw some of the couples had).  

Some of the Club Orange dining rooms have more two tops than others.  I believe the Rotterdam has more than the Koningsdam but I won’t be on that ship until October to verify.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:34 AM, New2Cruisin71 said:

I booked a June 2025 sailing on Friday and was able to add Club Orange.

3 hours ago, SDARCH said:

I booked a June 2025 sailing on Friday and was able to add Club Orange.

One of the things I was told was to get your cabin upgrade as soon as you've paid for Club Orange, because it is based on availability.  I booked a Kdam January 2024 cruise and paid for Club Orange ($255) last Saturday through my TA.  It was too late in the day to do it then, but Monday morning I called the HAL inventory dept and was able to upgrade my category OO oceanview cabin on deck 1 to a larger category D cabin that is on deck 7 and faces forward (7001).  Had I booked that directly it would have cost me more than $1,000 extra.  I've never had a forward facing cacil so I'm looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

If I might ask as this will be our first HAL cruise we plan on booking in over 5 years. What is the feasibility of having our TA (1) book the cheapest vista suite (BC) cabin available and (2) purchase the Club Orange package. Then have our TA take the appropriate steps that same day to upgrade our cabin to the most expensive (aft-facing) vista suite (AS) cabin, if one is still available, that same day -

Or is it as easy as having our TA book a cruise with the Club Orange package and get the most expensive (AS) vista suite cabin available at the rate of the cheapest (BC) vista suite cabin available?

Just trying to learn the HAL rules of engagement when it comes to CO. 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask as this will be our first HAL cruise we plan on booking in over 5 years. What is the feasibility of having our TA (1) book the cheapest vista suite (BC) cabin available and (2) purchase the Club Orange package. Then have our TA take the appropriate steps that same day to upgrade our cabin to the most expensive (aft-facing) vista suite (AS) cabin, if one is still available, that same day -

Or is it as easy as having our TA book a cruise with the Club Orange package and get the most expensive (AS) vista suite cabin available at the rate of the cheapest (BC) vista suite cabin available?

Just trying to learn the HAL rules of engagement when it comes to CO. 😁

Yes, it is possibly, but I would check first if there is an AS stateroom available then then book the BC guarantee, and then purchase the Club orange and have them move you to the AS. The Buying of Club orange and moving to the higher category is done usually by a different department. Actually it is the same department that does the Upsell offers.Most of the regular HAL agents do not have a clue about Club Orange.

• Like 1

Never had to wait for a table at CO on the NS or Rotterdam this past January/February although we do eat dinner early. Added it again for our 12/24 cruise back on the Rotterdam. Also appreciated the CO line at Guest Services the first day when the regular line for phone/internet help was extremely long and we only had a 5 minute wait.