Hey Carnival! If you are going to hike up the price of cruises, why don't you....

Buckeye_Siggy

Make sure that the gratuities are now part of the new final price (port charges, taxes, etc).

Carnival already do this in Australia and with some of the Carnival Corporation brands in Europe. Some other cruise companies do this in Europe with their pricing, it makes it so much easier when comparing prices between different companies. It's probably more to do with the cultural attitudes towards tipping and pricing in different parts of the world so I wouldn't expect a change in how Carnival price their cruises in their home market.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:33 PM, silvercrikhix said:

…. quit cheapening the experience. Enough already. Value has been eroded more and more. There’s been a lot of changes in only 10 years. None good for the cruiser. Cut after cut after cut.  

What about Shaq's Chicken and Shawarma.  And the faster debarkation processing?

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 5

The article compares the cost of a cruise with the cost of a Disney vacation.  I certainly don't think you can compare a Carnival cruise to going to Disney.  It's a much different type of experience.  The article also talks about closing the gap between a land vacation and a cruise.  For us, that gap has already been closed considerably.  We can do a land vacation for less now.  We have a cruise booked for November on Valor that we are probably going to end up cancelling.  We can do a trip to the Smokies Christmas and Dollywood Christmas for about $400 less after considering all costs.  That is also allowing a generous amount for meals.  We typically would have at least one cruise booked for the year after next by now, usually two which would be Jan and April 2025.  We don't have any booked right now and probably won't book more than one for that year.

23 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How is that any different from Royal or others? What proof do you have that more people remove? Cruise lines certainly don't release that information.

It’s a blanket statement about all the lines and gratuities. I have no proof anyway shape or form. But the cruise lines have the numbers and the percentages of people paying and not paying. They also have the structure of how it’s tied to staff salaries. The fact that it’s not widely known to the general customer is the reason these debates continue. The lines at guests services are not ridiculous long the last two days because people are leaving more money - I am just guessing. 
Happens to be NCL doesn’t allow one to remove gratuities right away. One has to write a letter why to have them removed after. But people do that as well,  and guess it’s their right if they take it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

It’s a blanket statement about all the lines and gratuities. I have no proof anyway shape or form. But the cruise lines have the numbers and the percentages of people paying and not paying. They also have the structure of how it’s tied to staff salaries. The fact that it’s not widely known to the general customer is the reason these debates continue. The lines at guests services are not ridiculous long the last two days because people are leaving more money - I am just guessing. 
Happens to be NCL doesn’t allow one to remove gratuities right away. One has to write a letter why to have them removed after. But people do that as well,  and guess it’s their right if they take it. 

I can think of a couple of words

It's proprietary 

Keeps the competition guessing and maybe helps a cruise line attract and keep staff.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I can think of a couple of words

It's proprietary 

Keeps the competition guessing and maybe helps a cruise line attract and keep staff.

Could really be anything.  They don’t owe anyone that information - but it keeps the conspirators talking. 

• Like 2

🌈 🦄 ☀️ 🌹 🙄

‘Yay a decent chicken sandwich and an efficient muster drill. Shawarma sucks. To each their own. 
The elimination of all the flyers and not printing all the photos is saving them buckets of money.

And some trees…truly happy for the trees. That was always a ridiculous waste and should have

stopped a long time ago. The MDR and Buffet and Room Service have all been sliding downhill. 
But, yeah, that’s just how it is…give less and charge more. It makes the sheep happy. So be that. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

Make sure that the gratuities are now part of the new final price (port charges, taxes, etc).

Carnival already do this in Australia and with some of the Carnival Corporation brands in Europe. Some other cruise companies do this in Europe with their pricing, it makes it so much easier when comparing prices between different companies. It's probably more to do with the cultural attitudes towards tipping and pricing in different parts of the world so I wouldn't expect a change in how Carnival price their cruises in their home market.

The reason it happens in Australia is more of a legal reason - Carnival doesn't have a choice.

It's possible the US might tie cruise lines' hands on advertised prices, but until it becomes mandated by law, no cruise line is going to do something to raise the advertised price voluntarily. This would be especially bad for Carnival if they did it and Royal did not.

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

The reason it happens in Australia is more of a legal reason - Carnival doesn't have a choice.

It's possible the US might tie cruise lines' hands on advertised prices, but until it becomes mandated by law, no cruise line is going to do something to raise the advertised price voluntarily. This would be especially bad for Carnival if they did it and Royal did not.

Exactly. Too many people only look at the cruise price and if Carnival included gratuities it would put them at a competitive disadvantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

The article compares the cost of a cruise with the cost of a Disney vacation.  I certainly don't think you can compare a Carnival cruise to going to Disney.  It's a much different type of experience.  The article also talks about closing the gap between a land vacation and a cruise.  For us, that gap has already been closed considerably.  We can do a land vacation for less now.  We have a cruise booked for November on Valor that we are probably going to end up cancelling.  We can do a trip to the Smokies Christmas and Dollywood Christmas for about $400 less after considering all costs.  That is also allowing a generous amount for meals.  We typically would have at least one cruise booked for the year after next by now, usually two which would be Jan and April 2025.  We don't have any booked right now and probably won't book more than one for that year.

There is nothing similar price wise between Disney and a cruise

• Like 5

Is this question being asked because you want gratuities to be "free" or because you want everyone to "tip" equally? 

I'm pretty sure I know the answer. It's a naïve expectation to think that now that costs went up, Carnival is going to pay their own gratuities.

However, I do wish they'd roll them up in the price. I'd bet they could actually discount the rate when everyone pays, vs just the people who want to. At this point, I'd assume those customers turned away from paying them, are probably not Carnival's best customer anyways. In fact, I'd bet the experience would be better for all if they were gone. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Is this question being asked because you want gratuities to be "free" or because you want everyone to "tip" equally? 

I'm pretty sure I know the answer. It's a naïve expectation to think that now that costs went up, Carnival is going to pay their own gratuities.

However, I do wish they'd roll them up in the price. I'd bet they could actually discount the rate when everyone pays, vs just the people who want to. At this point, I'd assume those customers turned away from paying them, are probably not Carnival's best customer anyways. In fact, I'd bet the experience would be better for all if they were gone. 

NEVER happen

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We can do a trip to the Smokies Christmas and Dollywood Christmas for about $400 less after considering all costs.  That is also allowing a generous amount for meals. 

How are the beaches in Dollywood?  😁

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I’ve paid a visit to guest services on the last day or two of probably at least half of my cruises.  I’ve never reduced/removed tips.  I find it bizarre that you assume that is the reason for the lines when there are literally hundreds of other possible explanations!

22 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

What about Shaq's Chicken and Shawarma.  And the faster debarkation processing?

And the new menu changes as well as free specialty dining on the newer ships. Along with debarking boarding is vastly improved with the check in time slots. So much less stressful and a lot faster and more organized.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:01 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Wow, you have found the secret…. Wait, it has only put on here 2000 times.  This has been rehashed just as many times.  There is absolutely no proof of anything other than what Carnival tells us….it goes to the people they say it does.  

Agreed. I’m no accountant but I’m pretty darn sure that the people who oversee these things would notice if Carnival was reallocating money from an area it is supposed to be in to another area instead. That sounds like fraud to me and not worth the risk. 

Discussions about tips will never come to a consensus. We simply don't have all the facts.

One of the crucial bits of information we don't have is the crew pay package. How do tips play into that? For example:

Say that pre-covid stateroom attendants pay for a pay period was $500 plus tips but they were guaranteed at least $700. (I recognize the dollar amounts are not realistic, but the absolute numbers are not the point.)

Then say post-covid they did less work for each room (once a day service) but had twice the number of rooms. The tips from those rooms are much more because there are more rooms. But if the pay package for a pay period changed to $200 plus tips but they are guaranteed at least $700 the state room attendants receive all the gratuities paid but their take home pay has not changed much while Carnival has made out like a bandit.

Is that the kind of thing that is happening? I have no idea. Carnival keeps its secrets and without that information discussions on tips is useless.

The only questions that matter are what is the all in cost of the cruise and are you willing to pay that.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:32 AM, Moparfiend said:

8 day from Baltimore (Sept '23)
priced at more then 8,000 dollars for a suite
$2,900 for an interior
$4,800 for a balcony 

This is on an older ship (Legend), 2 people

Carnival will price themselves out of the market if they continue this path

Prices will continue to rise as long as people are willing to pay them.  Carnival is definitely not pricing itself out of the market.

Have you see the prices of land vacations/?  Demand is huge — more people are traveling, taking more vacations than ever before.  There was a pretty good article in Journal recently - 75% of 18+ Gen z traveled within the last year; over half traveled at least three times and the overall average was 29 days total.  If you roll the clock back 20 years, those numbers were closer to 0 amongst Millenials.  Similar trend with the Boomers.  The article mentioned that nearly 4-in-5 households claimed they cut back on expenses to keep traveling.

Demand to/ from Florida has softened, so maybe the market is beginning the peak. 

On 8/3/2023 at 6:06 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Many, many people have no idea that they will be charged gratuities until they are on the ship. I have heard numerous people at customer service asking what the charges are for. Including gratuities would eliminate the confusion and long lines at customer service.

Impossible to believe that. If that is true it is on them.  It screams everywhere.  Port costs.  Gratuities, etc.  Sometimes people have to be responsible for knowing stuff that is in their face.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 5:33 PM, silvercrikhix said:

…. quit cheapening the experience. Enough already. Value has been eroded more and more. There’s been a lot of changes in only 10 years. None good for the cruiser. Cut after cut after cut.  

Name one change that has been significant.  I started cruising 8 years ago.  None of the changes effect anything for me.  Things change.   

On 8/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, firefly333 said:

Royal is talking going the other way. AFTER you are booked and locked in prices they sent out emails they want to reprice all my cruises going to bahamas. Port fees went up. $11 and $16 so far. Nickle and diming and really wrong imo. 

If carnival is eating the increased port fees, lucky for you.

I also happened to see a blog about princess changing some medallion thing and now to get what you thought you booked you have to upgrade your plan and pay extra for a meal in some restaurant. Retroactive. 

I'm unhappy they can change prices retroactively. Higher .. of course in their favor. 

The price was changed on them.  Why should they eat it because they have more money than you.  No biggie.  

On 8/4/2023 at 12:08 AM, Stick93 said:

Prices  only going one way - higher. 

Cruising is still very affordable but as the prices go up it is possible all inclusive become better options as you do get substantially bigger accommodations and properties with them , all with a similar experience and less nickel and diming. 

The only issue I have with their pay and gratuity is that they pay little, work the staff very hard and tie the bundle to the tips they let people remove. The staff is usually from poorer countries without much  opportunity and don’t have the options of a different occupation. The staff is working harder as they have less (especially housekeeping) than before Covid and not making much more. I have suspicions when they raise gratuities the staff is not getting that big raise. 

Well anyways these great debates are endless and usually not very fruitful or informative 

I took an inclusive two years ago.  Tried booking it for this year.  Twice, I repeat, twice the cost.  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:32 AM, Moparfiend said:

8 day from Baltimore (Sept '23)
priced at more then 8,000 dollars for a suite
$2,900 for an interior
$4,800 for a balcony 

This is on an older ship (Legend), 2 people

Carnival will price themselves out of the market if they continue this path

I bet it will be full.  

31 minutes ago, icft said:

Discussions about tips will never come to a consensus. We simply don't have all the facts.

One of the crucial bits of information we don't have is the crew pay package. How do tips play into that? For example:

Say that pre-covid stateroom attendants pay for a pay period was $500 plus tips but they were guaranteed at least $700. (I recognize the dollar amounts are not realistic, but the absolute numbers are not the point.)

Then say post-covid they did less work for each room (once a day service) but had twice the number of rooms. The tips from those rooms are much more because there are more rooms. But if the pay package for a pay period changed to $200 plus tips but they are guaranteed at least $700 the state room attendants receive all the gratuities paid but their take home pay has not changed much while Carnival has made out like a bandit.

Is that the kind of thing that is happening? I have no idea. Carnival keeps its secrets and without that information discussions on tips is useless.

The only questions that matter are what is the all in cost of the cruise and are you willing to pay that.

This may work out with the much larger, newer ships who start out initially with a larger crew size. But if the cleaning of rooms is cut in half, haven’t quite a few Room Stewards been laid off????  My DH is a CPA and I just had to double check with him to make sure 🤪.  Isn’t this right?  Did our being ‘urged’ into once daily service coincide with the Big Ships Entrance?  Some real Carnival super fan May know I’m sure, or a few I’d think? 

We hardly saw ours the last 3 times. They did what we require =not much, extremely low maintenance= but no 2 minute chats 3-4 times a week. Practically non-existent and I have been thinking how tired and sweaty they look now. Anyone else see this?  

On 7/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, roguebandit1441 said:

Got one last week for our July 29th cruise. I doubt it will amount to much.

Unknown why this is here.

On 7/30/2023 at 12:34 AM, mvaygibson said:

I agree

Unknown about this either, what did I do…lol 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:51 AM, Carrion said:

https://www.carnival.com/help

Read the FAQ

Purchasing Liquor Pre-Cruise through The Fun Shops

All products sold containing alcohol have a limit of two products per stateroom. On 7 day and longer cruises, there is a limit of one bottle of hard liquor per stateroom and on shorter cruises, pre-cruise purchases are limited to wine, champagne and beer (no hard liquor).

Ignore 

On 8/3/2023 at 5:31 PM, Drew B 58 said:

Completely disagree!  So many things have been ADDED to the experience (restaurants, attractions, features, etc…) that millions of cruisers love!  You can’t say that all changes have been bad…

Ignore

On 8/4/2023 at 8:39 AM, StephPS79 said:

I hear your frustration, but what basis is there for this claim?  Carnival is pretty strict about the 15 limit.  Yeah, there are ways around that, and one of them is hitting the limit and then having extra bottles in your cabin.  You can't really have it both ways.

Ignore 

5 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

I’ve paid a visit to guest services on the last day or two of probably at least half of my cruises.  I’ve never reduced/removed tips.  I find it bizarre that you assume that is the reason for the lines when there are literally hundreds of other possible explanations!

ok. So would you agree that 1/2 of these folks in line are removing the grats?  Would that make one believe that the other half of those lines are people who have billing errors or complaints…that’s would be interesting, that is an awful lot of mistakes. Or real issues. I’m doing a line poll in 2 weeks on next cruise and find out!!!  I’m JUST KIDDING. Hmmm….we’ve never had an errors ever. Someone want a make a poll asking how many passengers have had mistakes on their bills?  

4 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

And the new menu changes as well as free specialty dining on the newer ships. Along with debarking boarding is vastly improved with the check in time slots. So much less stressful and a lot faster and more organized.

Agreed. I’m no accountant but I’m pretty darn sure that the people who oversee these things would notice if Carnival was reallocating money from an area it is supposed to be in to another area instead. That sounds like fraud to me and not worth the risk. 

‘How long does the new menu roll out take to hit through entire fleet?  
‘I agree, debark has improved but embark has been kinda a zoo…Galveston to be specific, 2 x yes, 1 time great. But that happpens, not a big deal. Hang for a while, whatever… 

YES, no CPA worth a dime would do that. You all remember Enron?!  That turned a pretty reputable occupation into a nightmare. Many people assume they’re all crooks. Not to say they aren’t out there, because there are.
My husband fired many clients for iheir inappropriate doings, wondering & questions. 
‘That can guarantee you’ll get to run your license through the shredder. 

Inteernational fraud, no way, but do ships obey their ships flagged country?  No idea what that would be?!  
Hmmm…. research that I guess. 🤷‍♀️

32 minutes ago, icft said:

Another error.  OMG…Margarita, Pizza Pool party today at DD and then CC…bad idea… lol…sorry. Lol 

11 minutes ago, thunderingherd11 said:

The price was changed on them.  Why should they eat it because they have more money than you.  No biggie.  

Price was changed on every cruiseline. So carnival should retroactively bill extra if the ship is going to nassau, grand bahamas .. wherever ? All bahamas ports?

I also last year wrote to a vp at rcl asking why carnival gives overage on port fees and if they miss a port and rcl can give 0. He said it's because they dont bill you if port fees go up. Lol I have it in writing. I like carnivals policy better.. of course.  

• Like 2