No more aluminum water bottles. Back to plastic

fstuff1

I'm currently on the Summit.
It's back to plastic water bottles fleetwide but the bartender couldnt tell me why.

This started a couple of week ago.

Anyone know why Celebrity switched back to plastic?

1 minute ago, basenji56 said:

I hate the aluminum cans. Between the wetness and my surgically reduced grip strength, I often can’t get then open 

I do think people are more inclined to fill them up at least one more time vs tossing them than they are with plastic...We're at least one couple who does that

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I do think people are more inclined to fill them up at least one more time vs tossing them than they are with plastic...We're at least one couple who does that

We didn't have drink packages last month.  We bought 2 water (in the aluminum bottles) and reused them the entire 12 days cruise.   Those bottles were great for the shore trips.   We just refill them at the cabin bathroom tap.  Water taste great to us.   At home we have reverse osmosis water, and we use aluminum water bottles as well.   The ship's tap water, I think, is also reverse osmosis water, so it just tasted like home water to us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Many cruiser eat at the buffet but complain they're anti-buffet because they were taught trashing food is wasteful, yet, many things we do are MORE wasteful.  I mention this in context because lately all over the media and celebrities preach "don't use single use plastics" like water bottles.  An recent example, SFO had already banned and LAX just banned plastic water bottles at the airports, therefore it could be bad optics for X

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

I wonder if they're having supplier/provider issues? The aluminum cans were co-branded for Celebrity. Did they used to have Celebrity co-branded bottled water? I just don't remember, but many if not most companies do that. It's pretty simple.

• Like 1

Just now, WestLakeGirl said:

It’s way too soon to come to the conclusion that Celebrity has gone back to plastic fleetwide. Maybe the aluminum ones just weren’t available on your sailing

When we were on the Apex from July 7-19 at one point the ship must have run out of aluminum bottles and they were also giving plastic bottled water along with glass bottled water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, markeb said:

I wonder if they're having supplier/provider issues? The aluminum cans were co-branded for Celebrity. Did they used to have Celebrity co-branded bottled water? I just don't remember, but many if not most companies do that. It's pretty simple.

Yes, there  was a X brand plastic water bottle a couple years ago.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Yes, there  was a X brand plastic water bottle a couple years ago.

Yup.  They were all “Rain” metal bottles, only the labeling/images on the cans were different. They used to be all silver with custom X branding and at some point they switched to the presumably cheaper regularly labeled RAIN cans which have a lot more blue in the background 

38 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I hate the aluminum cans. Between the wetness and my surgically reduced grip strength, I often can’t get then open 

Don't feel bad. I have no surgically reduced grip and sometimes I struggled to open them. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Don't feel bad. I have no surgically reduced grip and sometimes I struggled to open them. 

Yes, my wife has severe arthritis and we had to get  servers with a towel to open them.

We had those "milk carton" water containers a few years ago on Equinox in the Caribbean. I liked them a lot. Didn't love the cans, but at least they were biodegradable. Don't like that X is going back to plastic. Of course, I don't like a lot of things X is doing lately. 

1 minute ago, m8zenblue said:

Yes, my wife has severe arthritis and we had to get  servers with a towel to open them.

We had an LOL moment when I was struggling to open a can. The tiny girl bartender said, "Give me that," took the can and twisted it open. In her broken English adding, "Turn bottle not cap!" Life never stops giving lessons. 😁

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Big_G said:

We had an LOL moment when I was struggling to open a can. The tiny girl bartender said, "Give me that," took the can and twisted it open. In her broken English adding, "Turn bottle not cap!" Life never stops giving lessons. 😁

Just like opening a champagne bottle.

• Like 2

So disappointed if this is the case. I hate those plastic bottles. If they have the water cartons like those on NCL I’d be much happier.

I don’t like the plastic part of the plastic bottles, the sound they make when people scrunch them, the look of them. The use of those plastic bottles really cheapens the Celebrity experience.

I’m travelling with my mom next month and if it’s the plastic bottles she still won’t be able to open them. She has arthritis and a bunch of other problems with her hands so she will just ask the bartender or me to open them for her.

• Like 1