Is the quality still with O or has it also been hit with the penny pinching of other cruise lines?

chromered7

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Regarding Viking food vs Oceania, I cannot compare. But Viking food/cuisine compared to Seabourn and I can. SB is superior. How is the food on Azamara vs Oceania?

Thank you, another point. If anyone opines on the Azamara food but won't answer the simple question "have you ever sailed on Azamara?" you can discount the answer as worthless tripe.  It's the "Professor" Irwin Corey syndrome, the desire to be "The World's Foremost Authority"

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Thank you, another point. If anyone opines on the Azamara food but won't answer the simple question "have you ever sailed on Azamara?" you can discount the answer as worthless tripe.

I have 3 previous sailings on Az, only 1 on Oceania and we found the O culinary experience to be consistently  superior to that on Az.

That said, we have 1 future cruise booked on each as it's itinerary that is the main lure for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on Azamara once and one O 4 times. In my opinion, Azamara food was very good, but not as good as O. Still much better than Celebrity, but I would give O a small edge. 

Again, my personal opinion based on personal preferences.

Azamara CEO once said "Oceania is all about food. Azamara is all about itineraries"

• Like 1

Food is so subjective.  I would not touch spam, chunk light tuna, tilapia, liver, blue cheese with a 10ft pole.  A lot of people LOVE those items.   When I judge food on a cruise, I look at the QUALITY of the items presented.  Quality has gone down considerably on Celebrity.  Not sure about O, since my first O cruise was Feb 2021.  My next is in a month.  I'll report back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am thinking that many of the disappointed diners who have posted in the past year may have still been experiencing some of the "return from Covid" issues.

In 2022 we had four O cruises (Jan-Marina, April-Riviera, Sept-Regatta, Nov-Nautica), and with each sailing we experienced a bit more of the return to 'normal' that we had enjoyed with O since 2012.  We enjoyed all four 2022 cruises and felt blessed to be able to be on all four.  July 2023 (last month) on Marina to Norway has been our best sailing post-covid.

If there must be some temporary cost cutting here and there in order for them to stay in business, or substitutions (a different bacon) due to supply chain issues, so be it.  We have not been able to find a better match for us (and our money) than Oceania.  As for Viking, one river and one ocean cruise.  And done.  Everyone needs to find their personal niche.

May you all enjoy your cruise, in your personal niche!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed on Azamara once and one O 4 times. In my opinion, Azamara food was very good, but not as good as O. Still much better than Celebrity, but I would give O a small edge. 

Again, my personal opinion based on personal preferences.

Azamara CEO once said "Oceania is all about food. Azamara is all about itineraries"

My feelings exactly.

We sail for the itinerary. Our cruise decision is based on the published itinerary. Rather simple for us. Sometimes O has the better itinerary, sometimes they don’t. 

O’s food is marginally better than Az or V, but not enough so to overcome a poorer itinerary. It is a true rarity that our best meal on a cruise is on the ship. We often have great lunches ashore therefore dinner becomes light. One of the advantages of Az is the extended port stays and dinner ashore! Dinner ashore, or any ship food? 🤔 Easy choice.

So now comes our issue with the new Oceania. Itinerary. On our three  post Covid Oceania cruises we have had more port cancellations and/or port times shortened than on all our previous cruises combined. They occurred on each of those cruises. We walked onto the Vista in June and were notified that three out of 12 ports stays had been shortened. This was not weather related, it was merely cut port time to save money.

For us this is huge. A little gristle in the steak, we can eat around that and not be hungry. Two hours of cut port time is forever lost. This is a huge difference between the new versus old Oceania.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

My feelings exactly.

We sail for the itinerary. Our cruise decision is based on the published itinerary. Rather simple for us. Sometimes O has the better itinerary, sometimes they don’t. 

O’s food is marginally better than Az or V, but not enough so to overcome a poorer itinerary. It is a true rarity that our best meal on a cruise is on the ship. We often have great lunches ashore therefore dinner becomes light. One of the advantages of Az is the extended port stays and dinner ashore! Dinner ashore, or any ship food? 🤔 Easy choice.

So now comes our issue with the new Oceania. Itinerary. On our three  post Covid Oceania cruises we have had more port cancellations and/or port times shortened than on all our previous cruises combined. They occurred on each of those cruises. We walked onto the Vista in June and were notified that three out of 12 ports stays had been shortened. This was not weather related, it was merely cut port time to save money.

For us this is huge. A little gristle in the steak, we can eat around that and not be hungry. Two hours of cut port time is forever lost. This is a huge difference between the new versus old Oceania.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you regarding the ports. We had 3 ports cancelled on our last O cruise, one weather related and two Portugal ports due to potential strike, but the decision was very questionable.

Food on Az while slightly worse than O, is still very good. My biggest issue with Az is the cabins (for the same reason I prefer O newer ships). While not a deal breaker, the difference is still very significant, and PH is out of the question (I can usually book SS or SB for the same price or cheaper). 

So theoretically O still wins (itineraries good enough, excellent cabins and excellent food), but if ports keep being cancelled, it's a big issue. This is why we also look at SS and SB, sometimes there are very good deals.

• Like 1

Just off Marina and a beautiful Norwegian fjords cruise.  Excellent cruise.  Two ports cancelled due to high seas; one replacement port was interesting, the other became a sea day.  Weather happens.

The food on this cruise and last summer’s Alaska cruise is just as good as pre-Covid cruises on Oceania, in our opinion.  Plenty of options; serving sizes are fine; bread so good that I leave my carb counting at home and just enjoy it.  The dessert soufflés are my favorite.  And duck foie Gras in Jacques….
Toscana not my favorite restaurant but just order the sole which is perfectly cooked and boned at the table.  Delicious.  An Italian friend of mine once said “always order the fish at an Italian restaurant…it’s fresh and it will be simply and perfectly prepared.”

Food service still leaves a bit to be desired…so many people, each apparently with only one job to do (remove the charger, provide the appropriate silver; someone else to sell you wine or get you a cocktail; etc.).  Some training needed there, I think.  We did find housekeeping staff congregating near the service doors in the halls and having loud conversations which was a new experience.  

Overall, though, it’s still the best cruise line food I’ve ever had and certainly is above chain restaurants.  

I didn’t have to make a grocery list, go grocery shopping or cook for 15 days…heaven!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We loved our free cruise to Norway. Thanks for your review.

We've been on 4 Oceania cruises post covid and just don't see this downgrade that others are experiencing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ORV said:

We've been on 4 Oceania cruises post covid and just don't see this downgrade that others are experiencing. 

Same for us.

• Like 2

We have done 7 segments post Covid and have not had the issues some are complaining about so a MAJOR DITTO here.  We did expos couple things that some may consider earth shattering 🤪, O had the audacity to remove Lasagna from the Toscana menu on Riviera in 2021 but a chat with the F and B Dir., Maitre d and Chef resolved that faux paux. Lasagna was back for good two days later. Second, January on Marina Red Ginger ran out of Sea Bass, substituting cod. No Thank You and no, the world did not come to an end. 
IMHO, it is still the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 
Ready to sail on Vista in October 👍🙏😇

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

We have done 7 segments post Covid and have not had the issues some are complaining about so a MAJOR DITTO here.  We did expos couple things that some may consider earth shattering 🤪, O had the audacity to remove Lasagna from the Toscana menu on Riviera in 2021 but a chat with the F and B Dir., Maitre d and Chef resolved that faux paux. Lasagna was back for good two days later. Second, January on Marina Red Ginger ran out of Sea Bass, substituting cod. No Thank You and no, the world did not come to an end. 
IMHO, it is still the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 
Ready to sail on Vista in October 👍🙏😇

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Same here as our recent Vista cruise was amazing. But then again, we don’t go looking for things to complain about either.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willidc said:

I am thinking that many of the disappointed diners who have posted in the past year may have still been experiencing some of the "return from Covid" issues.

In 2022 we had four O cruises (Jan-Marina, April-Riviera, Sept-Regatta, Nov-Nautica), and with each sailing we experienced a bit more of the return to 'normal' that we had enjoyed with O since 2012.  We enjoyed all four 2022 cruises and felt blessed to be able to be on all four.  July 2023 (last month) on Marina to Norway has been our best sailing post-covid.

If there must be some temporary cost cutting here and there in order for them to stay in business, or substitutions (a different bacon) due to supply chain issues, so be it.  We have not been able to find a better match for us (and our money) than Oceania.  As for Viking, one river and one ocean cruise.  And done.  Everyone needs to find their personal niche.

May you all enjoy your cruise, in your personal niche!

I haven't kept score, but it seems that I've seen a lot of complaints that may be related to crew-turnover issues (e.g., a large percentage of crew are still training).

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:06 PM, pinotlover said:

Also, Oceania strives to serve a large captive crowd of eaters wanting plain and bland. Many of those rarely eat outside their assisted living facilities at home or drive at night. Plain and bland doesn’t go far ashore.

That was an obnoxious, generalized statement.  Apparently you must not really know the Oceania cruiser or are just trying to start an argument.  But if it is true about O food being plain and bland, perhaps you should stay home where you can drive at night to your favorite non plain and bland restaurants.  I suspect you'll enjoy it more. 😁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:36 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

I haven't kept score, but it seems that I've seen a lot of complaints that may be related to crew-turnover issues (e.g., a large percentage of crew are still training).

You are quite correct.  On the Nov Nautica 2022 sailing, we were invited to join two officers for dinner in GDR.  With many rumors going around even at that late date after return to sailing, we asked if it was true that approximately 30% of crew did not return post-pandemic and they emphatically said that was true.

My yardstick is "are crew members trying to please and are they working hard?"  If that answer is "yes", I become a most patient and understanding person.

• Like 8

On 8/8/2023 at 5:02 PM, Harters said:

Yes, the presentation of oil and balsamic for bread dipping is an immediate giveaway of that. Not something done in Italian restaurants here, nor in Italy in  my experience. But, it's an American ship, catering to a mainly American customer base, so not surprising. 

You hit the nail on the head.  It is, to someone who is Swiss and lives 45mns from the Italian border, pretentious in the extreme.   I have never ever once had olive oil "presented to me" in Italy except when I was on a tour of a market and an olive oil vendor did that.   It is not the Italian food that we love to eat in Italy.  And the portions are too big.  (In Toscana that is...)   We learnt a while back to avoid Toscana entirely.  Got "snookered" once when the GM invited us for dinner there.  We went.  Still hated it.   On the flip side we really like Jacques and are upset that there is no Jacques on Vista (our next cruise...)  Ember seems neither fish nor fowl.  And we aren't trendy California eaters so the spa restaurant won't do for us.   I suspect we shall eat a lot more in our suite on the next cruise.  And in the Terrace Café where I actually like the dinners...and breakfasts.   Sushi is not something we get a lot of here.

11 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

You hit the nail on the head.  It is, to someone who is Swiss and lives 45mns from the Italian border, pretentious in the extreme.   I have never ever once had olive oil "presented to me" in Italy except when I was on a tour of a market and an olive oil vendor did that. 

The strange part of this practice is that when I was growing up in the US I never saw olive oil with the bread in an Italian restaurant. It is something that starting appearing quite a few years ago, and then became almost a requirement. I wonder if part of the reason is to compensate for ordinary bread; if the bread is good enough... well, then it's enough.

Having said that, I'm a sucker for it! Especially if it has some spices (I know, another even worse departure). With ordinary bread, at least. 🙂

7 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

The strange part of this practice is that when I was growing up in the US I never saw olive oil with the bread in an Italian restaurant. It is something that starting appearing quite a few years ago, and then became almost a requirement. I wonder if part of the reason is to compensate for ordinary bread; if the bread is good enough... well, then it's enough.

Having said that, I'm a sucker for it! Especially if it has some spices (I know, another even worse departure). With ordinary bread, at least. 🙂

Give me butter. Not a fan of olive oil, truffles or the ever  present Kale. I mean it ruins a Cesar salad. Just why?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Give me butter. Not a fan of olive oil, truffles or the ever  present Kale. I mean it ruins a Cesar salad. Just why?

My brother and his wife always ask for butter. But kale? As you said, why? The interesting thing is that it's really not better for you than romaine lettuce or spinach.

51 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

You can skip the olive oil cart if you want

it is not mandatory

We ask for butter  for  the breads

We also ask for smaller portions of some of the  dishes 

34 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

My brother and his wife always ask for butter. But kale? As you said, why? The interesting thing is that it's really not better for you than romaine lettuce or spinach.

On Marina in March, they ran out of romaine but continued making Ceasar salad with kale in its place. They didn’t tell you about the substitute, it just came that way. Must be doing it on other ships likewise.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:43 AM, ORV said:

Plus one also on four times different ships..

Jancruz1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I do know a hotel here (where I go a lot but not as much as I would like to!) where they put a premium on healthy food and they offer olive oil to go with bread in the evening.  But just a bottle of oil and not a "tasting" sample...  Also this is in Switzerland and not in Italy.

• Like 1