question about Equinox Retreat

HateSnow

Was on the Equinox in June in Retreat, no pool, no hot tubs, no bar, hardly any shade and no snack bar. The Retreat servers will bring a drink from pool bar to the sundeck but by the time you get it, the ice will be melted. If you are booking a suite primarily for the Retreat sun deck, do not waste your money. Other than the Sun deck we still loved the Retreat venues like Luminae and Michaels Club.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

How changed is Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge from what it was a few years ago?  I noted on one YT video that there is now key card entry. Is there still a bar and bartender and is there a Concierge/Retreat Host Desk?  Any other notable changes post revolution/refit?

No key card entry to Retreat (Michael's) on EQ. I have wondered why it is not required. Same room with bar, bar stools ,tables, chairs and sofas, as well as booths against the back wall. They did open up those heavy drapes that used to be on the back windows, so, much lighter in the Retreat Lounge now. Different, less comfortable, furniture and new color scheme, greys, blues. The crew in Luminae on EQ is outstanding. The only time we use the sun deck is lunch sometimes on port days when Luminiae is not open. I have often commented on why in the world they would not have made that retreat sun deck accessible. 

Even without the full Retreat Sun Deck - we very much enjoyed Equinox.   The staff was incredible.

While they do not have a Plunge Pool or Hot Tub -  They do provide drink service (prepared in a back room) and offer snacks and lunch.    The Retreat Sundeck crew were always available and attentive.

The original Michael's club is still in place with original decor.      They do not have a hot/cold table to serve breakfast and evening snacks.   In lieu of this they have a couple attendants who take your order and deliver to you at your table.    Service was always fast and attentive.    The menu includes everything that was on the hot/cold tables of other Retreat Clubs.

There is a bar with I believe 4 high chairs or they also serve those choosing to sit at tables or chairs.    They also have a Retreat (Michael's Club) Host who will take care of all of your inquiries and needs.

While it it is dark and old club look the seating in much more comfortable and usable than the "Kelley Hoppen" disaster.  

• Like 2

Jim, I think you are confusing the Retreat Lounge on EQ with some other ship. As I noted above, on EQ it is the "new" uncomfortable furniture and brighter look, with uncovered (daytime) windows and grey and blue colors. 

• Like 1

I remember the Equinox Retreat Lounge being updated with the blue/gray look. That was our 2nd cruise back after the restart.  We did get a Luminae burger at the retreat sun deck on a port day. It seemed to take forever and we almost gave up.  Hoping our butler will bring one to our suite in September.

No key card entry but there is still a host/hostess stand.  I really preferred it when they sat at a desk since I have problems with my back when I stand too long.  

Reflection has not been updated.

1 hour ago, 39august said:

No key card entry to Retreat (Michael's) on EQ. I have wondered why it is not required.

The room can't be locked as it's a muster station on M and S class ships.   On E class the Retreat Lounge is not a muster station and does have key card access.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Reflection has not been updated.

I am very glad they have not "updated" the Reflection as it is our favorite ship and I have yet to hear of anything that has been updated that is an improvement. If we do go on the Equinox next spring I can't say I will be looking forward to the changes.

We love the Retreat on Equinox and next month will be our 7th cruise on ship.  The Retreat Deck is very windy and no hot tub or bar, but Retreat Host will get you whatever you want.  The Retreat Lounge is bright and updated and we like sitting there having a drink and snacks.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:13 PM, terrydtx said:

Was on the Equinox in June in Retreat, no pool, no hot tubs, no bar, hardly any shade and no snack bar. The Retreat servers will bring a drink from pool bar to the sundeck but by the time you get it, the ice will be melted. If you are booking a suite primarily for the Retreat sun deck, do not waste your money. Other than the Sun deck we still loved the Retreat venues like Luminae and Michaels Club.

We didn't mind the Equinox sun deck...there is shade on the side of the ship where the 'sun don't shine'...LOL....and was frequently fully used.  Our drinks arrived with ice and no melt, unless we let it sit.  Lunch took a little time to deliver but that was expected as it comes from Luminae.  We think booking the Retreat had value;  have to remember, cost is less than E class for a reason.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Jim, I think you are confusing the Retreat Lounge on EQ with some other ship. As I noted above, on EQ it is the "new" uncomfortable furniture and brighter look, with uncovered (daytime) windows and grey and blue colors. 

Your Right.... I do indeed get the ships mixed up at times.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your Right.... I do indeed get the ships mixed up at times.

It is easy to get confused if you sail enough.  I agree with your assessment of the Kelly Ikea furnishings.  I don’t like how the suites were ruined with the loft atmosphere or the seating on the Retreat lounges.  

I don’t think she ever sailed on a cruise ship.  

Happy cruising 🤷‍♂️🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1