Question About Amount for Extra Gratuity for Room Steward

On 8/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, Grumpella said:

I know this is a touchy subject, but just asking, so don't bite my head off.  lol

I just got off Anthem of the Seas last Friday.  I was in an inside studio cabin, 14 day cruise.

I paid the regular gratuities and then gave my room steward an extra $ 120 in cash.

He seemed disappointed with the extra amount.  The only thing extra that he did for me was put on an extra topping on the bed before I arrived, as I requested before the cruise because the beds are so hard.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

So many opinions, but my opinion is that you gave him $120.00 too much.  The gratuities on a ship is based on a customary amount on an international vessal, and not expectations of a citizen of the USA.  Anything over a customary amount is always accepted  I personally don't recall the last time I tipped extra on a cruise, because I am happy and satisfid with my prepaid, recommended amount that I give. 

There is a thing that many of the staff will do now.  It is called the guilt trips.  The sad stories.  How they are trying to feed 6 kids at home.  You name it, they tell it.  Looking at $120.00 like you were a cheapskate.  It's a game with them, and you are falling for it, by feeling guilty of the amount.  

You tipped way too much, and no need to feel bad about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

There is a thing that many of the staff will do now.  It is called the guilt trips.  The sad stories.  How they are trying to feed 6 kids at home.  You name it, they tell it.

Never once heard any such story from any crew member on any cruise I've ever been on. We enjoy chatting with various crew members about "back home" and not one of them has ever told us a sob story or made us feel guilt tripped in any way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Never once heard any such story from any crew member on any cruise I've ever been on. We enjoy chatting with various crew members about "back home" and not one of them has ever told us a sob story or made us feel guilt tripped in any way.

I've heard one or two that clearly were embellished. But agree, for the most part, while the crew loves to talk about their families at home, it tends to be pretty genuine.

• Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

I've heard one or two that clearly were embellished. But agree, for the most part,while the crew loves to talk about their families at home, it tends to be pretty genuine.

I don't doubt there are some "bad apples" out there. We just haven't found any.

Had a server in Giovanni's on Indy from Ukraine last year. If anyone could have told a sob/horror story... but she assured us her family was safe where they lived after we expressed our concern.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I tend not to chart with the hired help.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Well pardon me. It sure sounded like you did since you claimed they told sad stories of having 6 kids to feed.

I heard once 5 kids at home......but my point is they tell stories, and therefore, I don't chat with them.  I also was told once about how they used the money for food for their family (like don't we all use our money to pay for food?) and once how the wife needed a car for work.  

On 8/12/2023 at 9:08 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

You were very generous.  Since the gratuity increase and decrease in service to once a day we’ve stopped tipping extra.  In theory, you’re already tipping about $8 per day for once a day service.  In our case that’s picking up towels, emptying the trash and a quick wipe down of the bathroom as we keep our cabin very tidy. 

I think you misunderstood his reaction.  

Yes, I also stopped tipping extra when they went to once a day service. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Generally I have had staff speak glowingly of their home countries and pleased to talk about what is great about their homeland.  I don't think I have ever had a staff member talk about how poor they are back home or how they are supporting so many people or anything like that.  I've had them mention, if I asked a question about home, their family but I dont recall an unsolicited mention of supporting others on their salary.

I only read about that on cruise critic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:
1 hour ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

I tend not to chart with the hired help.

Well pardon me. It sure sounded like you did since you claimed they told sad stories of having 6 kids to feed

...Oh my , and he only got approximately an hour before he forget the first comment

• Haha 1

With the once a day service we'll see how things go.  I don't really need a lot but on the next cruise I'm going without my DW but taking 3 teenage grandkids.  I'm suspecting our cabin steward is going to have to work harder than he normally would with DW and I.  Typically on a seven day cruise, I will tip the attendant $40 on Day 1 when he introduces him or herself. On this upcoming cruise besides a once a day cleaning all I really want is for them to stow the bed in the morning then set it up again at night in the evening. I don't want the bed out all day long.  As long as I'm sufficiently stocked with towels for the week my end of cruise tip will be as normal which would typically be another $40, slighlty more if for some reason I thought service was exceptional.   If I find I'm feeling shortchanged in the experience it may differ but that is not what I expect.  

15 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

Generally I have had staff speak glowingly of their home countries and pleased to talk about what is great about their homeland.  I don't think I have ever had a staff member talk about how poor they are back home or how they are supporting so many people or anything like that.  I've had them mention, if I asked a question about home, their family but I dont recall an unsolicited mention of supporting others on their salary.

I only read about that on cruise critic. 

My experience is the same.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

With the once a day service we'll see how things go.  I don't really need a lot but on the next cruise I'm going without my DW but taking 3 teenage grandkids.  I'm suspecting our cabin steward is going to have to work harder than he normally would with DW and I.  Typically on a seven day cruise, I will tip the attendant $40 on Day 1 when he introduces him or herself. On this upcoming cruise besides a once a day cleaning all I really want is for them to stow the bed in the morning then set it up again at night in the evening. I don't want the bed out all day long.  As long as I'm sufficiently stocked with towels for the week my end of cruise tip will be as normal which would typically be another $40, slighlty more if for some reason I thought service was exceptional.   If I find I'm feeling shortchanged in the experience it may differ but that is not what I expect.  

When is your cruise ? 

I'd love to hear back how this goes as from everything I've been hearing this request falls into the "not likely to happen " category. I feel the $40 trading hands at the time you make the request will likely help the cause , but otherwise... Not so sure

Cheers

On 8/12/2023 at 4:55 PM, sgmn said:

Sane here 

We used to do same until we experienced a steward change the morning of debarkation.  On one occasion our former steward was moved to a different deck. On a couple of others, they were actually debarking themselves.

Now we pass directly to tbem on the next to last day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

When is your cruise ? 

I'd love to hear back how this goes as from everything I've been hearing this request falls into the "not likely to happen " category. I feel the $40 trading hands at the time you make the request will likely help the cause , but otherwise... Not so sure

Cheers

I was going to do a live but that probably won't happen.  I'll definitely do an extensive review and that will include my experience with the cuts.

3 hours ago, pilot said:

Yes, I also stopped tipping extra when they went to once a day service. 

We do give a small gift when cruising in December.  Last year it was 2 ships, side to side.  We left each one an unopened Lego set that was Christmas themed.  We figured if they didn’t like it they could trade for something with another staff person.  We don’t usually leave gifts but at Christmas it seems appropriate.  

I'm not with the red cross. I'm not on a humanitarian aid mission. I don't want to know the cabin attendants life story. Do a good job and you get a tip at the end. Never go into it with a set amount in mind. No guilt about how many months past between there trips home. Not my problem. I really don't care. Nobody forces them to take these jobs. I'm sure it's better than anything they could get locally. No body should tip based on what anyone else tips. Do what works for you etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to worry about seeming cheap based on the amount extra I tipped, but I finally had enough people tell me that "anything extra is greatly appreciated" that I believe it. I am generally a poor tipper in the US, but I always do prepaid on a cruises and since 2021 my standard extra is $50 for the three main tipped positions (total for the 3 of us), and that has generally been an all or nothing thing.

I put it in an envelop and hand it to them the last time I see them and thank them for their service. Every crew member I've ever handed an envelop to seems very appreciative and puts it in their pocket.

Reading this post im tipping way too much on wonder 7 night  i pre paid gratuties & gave $150 tip. Nxt cruise 2 week adventure pre paid n gave $200. Now its down to 1 service a day I’m just going to see how it goes. 

Edited by celticgirl

3 minutes ago, celticgirl said:

Reading this post im tipping way too much on wonder 7 night

No such thing as too much or too little. Tip what you are comfortable with.

Nothing wrong with reading the opinions of others but don't let that be the main factor in what you feel is right for you.

10 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

You talk to your cabin steward long enough to find all of this out? 😵

I prefer to avoid them, and let them do their work, but I hear and see people talking to them all the time, and sure, what is 15 minutes out of your day, to say a story, if it helps with tips.  Just read these boards and read the stories people are told.  They have a job, if you want to tip beyond the customary amount, do it, but don't post about it.  They work like everyone else does in this world.  

2 hours ago, celticgirl said:

Reading this post im tipping way too much on wonder 7 night  i pre paid gratuties & gave $150 tip. Nxt cruise 2 week adventure pre paid n gave $200. Now its down to 1 service a day I’m just going to see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No such thing as too much or too little. Tip what you are comfortable with.

Nothing wrong with reading the opinions of others but don't let that be the main factor in what you feel is right for you.

Exactly ! For me personally I see this and think it is an insane amount ..again ,  ( for me personally ) . I am a numbers guy and when I average that out to what even 1/4 of that would mean for someones pay , it would be 1 H3!! of a good living just on tips. But In my opinion , tip $0 or $1000 if you fell generous , either way , no right or wrong , and none of my business !

Cheers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I prefer to avoid them, and let them do their work, but I hear and see people talking to them all the time, and sure, what is 15 minutes out of your day, to say a story, if it helps with tips.  Just read these boards and read the stories people are told.  They have a job, if you want to tip beyond the customary amount, do it, but don't post about it.  They work like everyone else does in this world.  

Curious ... What else are we not allowed to post about ?

13 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We do give a small gift when cruising in December.  Last year it was 2 ships, side to side.  We left each one an unopened Lego set that was Christmas themed.  We figured if they didn’t like it they could trade for something with another staff person.  We don’t usually leave gifts but at Christmas it seems appropriate.  

Leaving a Lego set as a gift is a new one for me, I’ve never heard of this before.

Crewmembers from other countries/religions may not celebrate Christmas not to mention that the cabins are very small as they share with others and don’t have room for trinkets.

On 8/12/2023 at 4:54 AM, Grumpella said:

I know this is a touchy subject, but just asking, so don't bite my head off.  lol

I just got off Anthem of the Seas last Friday.  I was in an inside studio cabin, 14 day cruise.

I paid the regular gratuities and then gave my room steward an extra $ 120 in cash.

He seemed disappointed with the extra amount.  The only thing extra that he did for me was put on an extra topping on the bed before I arrived, as I requested before the cruise because the beds are so hard.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

It was a good tip. We’re in the $5-$10 per person in room per day. On our scale, tip would be between $70 and $140.