Specialty Restaurants

oceanpark

3 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

Usually in Windows on Deck 9

There will probably be a second table somewhere on embarkation day. Ask where it is at Guest Relations - it could be on Deck 5 in The Den or Discoveries bar or outside on the pool deck. They will be able to tell you when White Night is too.

• Like 2

No, it isn't difficult if you are flexible. About a year and a half ago, we were on multiple B2Bs just after Azamara started sailing again. Aqualina was closed, due to low census on board, and the two restaurants were combined. At that time, yes, we were turned away several times. Back to the future, we were B2B from Dubai to Singapore and on to Perth Australia. Both restaurants were open, no issues at all getting reservations. Word of caution,  there are themed nights in the buffet, with some spillover of menu items in the MDR. Some are better than others. Try to check the themes before you reserve the specialty restaurants. Menus don't change in the specialties, and you might miss that special German dinner in the buffet because you insisted on going for the Steak Diane or the Veal Chop upstairs. These are good problems to have. Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dr H said:

No, it isn't difficult if you are flexible. About a year and a half ago, we were on multiple B2Bs just after Azamara started sailing again. Aqualina was closed, due to low census on board, and the two restaurants were combined. At that time, yes, we were turned away several times. Back to the future, we were B2B from Dubai to Singapore and on to Perth Australia. Both restaurants were open, no issues at all getting reservations. Word of caution,  there are themed nights in the buffet, with some spillover of menu items in the MDR. Some are better than others. Try to check the themes before you reserve the specialty restaurants. Menus don't change in the specialties, and you might miss that special German dinner in the buffet because you insisted on going for the Steak Diane or the Veal Chop upstairs. These are good problems to have. Enjoy!

How do you check the different themes ahead of time?

12 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

You can via the tv in room or ask at the booking desk. They know the planned themes though their can be last minute switches if supplies don’t materialise on time or things are slow maturing and ripening 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Honestly, I don't think you can. HOWEVER, shortly after boarding we head to the restaurant reservation area. When my wife remembers, we request the theme night listing, and they usually have them. Then you coordinate themes, your schedule, White Nights, shore excursions, and hope there isn't a last second change. Good luck. Bottom line, ask someone who will have the answer for you as soon as you get on board. And invariably, within the first hours, you can change reservations as needed. Happy travels.  David

• Like 3

So as a follow-on, when is White Night usually held? We're on a 10-day, and expect to linger ashore till early evening in some ports--most don't leave til 8pm-- and will want to dine in specialty restaurants on other nights; we like to plan ahead when possible.

Night 6 is Azamazing; next-to-last night overnights in Mykonos; night prior to Azamazing is the sea day. All other nights but one depart port at 8pm. So the obvious choice is the sole day that leaves port at 3:30 pm--which is also the very first full day of the cruise, after boarding the day before.

Once upon a time in the cruising world, there were formal nights. The first (or sometimes only) formal night was the first sea day. It gave folks a chance to take a deep breath and plan for a fun and special evening to kick off the cruise--on many itineraries, that was the day after boarding. So we're guessing that logistically, this will be the White Night. What has been your experience?

White Night will not be on a sea day.  The wind interferes with the tablecloths etc. on the open deck.  So if you know the night to the Azamazing Evening, look for other late nights in port – it will likely be the first of those [so that if the weather forecast is bad, they can move it to another late night later in the cruise].  In your case, that implies Mykonos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

You can’t book the speciality restaurants until you are onboard. The people at the reservation desk will be able to tell you when White Night is before you book.

Also, if you go to Guest Relations and and ask for the little itinerary card they'll give you a small card that gives the itinerary, docking/tendering, planned White Night and Azamazing Evening.   It's very useful. 

Phil 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

On Journey in April, there was a small Perspex holder on the booking desk with the full schedule (excuse the shaky photo!)

image.thumb.jpeg.1f865bfe99830040b1b63b27353a288f.jpeg

I like the little card I spoke of because you can make notes on it yourself and carry it around with you. Reminders of dinner etc. It's very handy. 

Phil 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

The chefs table tends to fill up first. I typically go to the booking area immediately upon boarding to make reservations. They will know when the White Night is scheduled too. 

They wouldn't have a Chef's Table scheduled for White Night, would they?  [Or AzAmazing Evening]

If I book a 3 table tour of the specialty restaurants online, can I pick dates and times?  The only explanation given online is that one of the nights must be the first night of the cruise.  I am presently on hold to Azamara to ask them, but not confident I will get through in a timely fashion.  

43 minutes ago, oceanpark said:

If I book a 3 table tour of the specialty restaurants online, can I pick dates and times?  The only explanation given online is that one of the nights must be the first night of the cruise.  I am presently on hold to Azamara to ask them, but not confident I will get through in a timely fashion.  

At the moment , dates and times  can only be booked once onboard.