Specialty Restaurants

oceanpark

8 hours ago, oceanpark said:

If I book a 3 table tour of the specialty restaurants online, can I pick dates and times?  The only explanation given online is that one of the nights must be the first night of the cruise.  I am presently on hold to Azamara to ask them, but not confident I will get through in a timely fashion.  

Yes you can choose your date and time, providing there is availability. We always have the 3 meal package and have never had one of them on the first night. You don’t need to buy the package beforehand. Once onboard ask where the reservation table is for booking the speciality restaurants (usually just inside Windows buffet main entrance on Deck 9 & on embarkation day there may be another one set up somewhere). Go there asap and you should be able to have any date you want - timings are usually 6:30 and 8:30.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 11:28 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

There will probably be a second table somewhere on embarkation day. Ask where it is at Guest Relations - it could be on Deck 5 in The Den or Discoveries bar or outside on the pool deck. They will be able to tell you when White Night is too.

We are sailing with our friends they booked a veranda V1? We are planing a C/C we would like to dine with our friends. V1  and C/C passengers have the same dining rooms ? Any input is great appreciated 

5 minutes ago, SEA DOGY said:

We are sailing with our friends they booked a veranda V1? We are planing a C/C we would like to dine with our friends. V1  and C/C passengers have the same dining rooms ? Any input is great appreciated 

There is really no allocated dining room, all passengers can dine where they choose, but all Suite passengers can dine free in the 2 speciality restaurants, whilst inside, ocean view and veranda passengers pay $35pp to do so. (You can buy dining packages which give a bit of a discount). Anyone in a Veranda Plus cabin also gets a free meal in each speciality restaurant per cruise week.

The dining venues are Windows buffet, Discoveries main dining room & the Patio plus the 2 speciality restaurants, Prime C and Aqualina, for which you need to make reservations - it's a good idea to book these as soon as you get on board.

• Like 1

The only way to book the restaurant tours early is to be on a B2B cruise. Basically, you have to physically be on the ship to make the advanced reservation. That said, getting reservations is not as difficult as it has been made to sound, especially if you want an early or a late seating. PS, you can order anything from the Aqua restaurant in Prime C, and visa versa, and if you give them a day or two heads up, there is a lot you can order that isn't on any menu! PPS: The Prime C Doughnuts are truly amazing, as is the Dover Sole (Sole isn't on the menu).

7 hours ago, Dr H said:

The only way to book the restaurant tours early is to be on a B2B cruise. Basically, you have to physically be on the ship to make the advanced reservation. That said, getting reservations is not as difficult as it has been made to sound, especially if you want an early or a late seating. PS, you can order anything from the Aqua restaurant in Prime C, and visa versa, and if you give them a day or two heads up, there is a lot you can order that isn't on any menu! PPS: The Prime C Doughnuts are truly amazing, as is the Dover Sole (Sole isn't on the menu).

The best thing to order ahead is the dessert soufflé. There's usually 1 flavour on the menu(and you have to say you want it at the beginning of the meal), but if you give them 48 hours notice you can choose from a list of flavours - grand marnier, limoncello, chocolate, hazelnut etc. They are all delicious.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dr H said:

OK, I'll try again. From my experience it's not fair to the staff or other guests to go to one of the Specialty Restaurants and order off the other menu. For the odd item, yes they'll oblige, but it's an inconvenience for the wait staff. 

Phil 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

OK, I'll try again. From my experience it's not fair to the staff or other guests to go to one of the Specialty Restaurants and order off the other menu. For the odd item, yes they'll oblige, but it's an inconvenience for the wait staff. 

Phil 

Thank you for saying what bugs me. Same with asking for non menu items. I know from experience it can really mess up other guests experience on the night because the wait staff or galley have to come off their set routine for these non standard requests. 

It’s also a bit harsh on guests sitting around who stuck to the menu offered to then possibly be left with a less cared for feeling on their “special night” in one of the restaurants to then see the next table be served what was not available to them. 

I would never ask a restaurant in town I went to once or twice a year to cook me something different or serve me a dish from their other restaurant (say they were a hotel) so why ask on a ship. Maybe though it’s my upbringing-“eat what’s put in front of you or not at all”. At least I always have a choice from WITHIN the published menu as to what is put in front of me. 

Let’s help all the staff get consistent service to all guests. We have never ordered off menu (and DH has gone without courses when his allergy presented remaining choices he didn’t fancy). 

Azamara should either advertise this option for mixed menus/off menu choices or politely decline all requests except for dietary reasons 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thank you for saying what bugs me. Same with asking for non menu items. I know from experience it can really mess up other guests experience on the night because the wait staff or galley have to come off their set routine for these non standard requests. 

It’s also a bit harsh on guests sitting around who stuck to the menu offered to then possibly be left with a less cared for feeling on their “special night” in one of the restaurants to then see the next table be served what was not available to them. 

I would never ask a restaurant in town I went to once or twice a year to cook me something different or serve me a dish from their other restaurant (say they were a hotel) so why ask on a ship. Maybe though it’s my upbringing-“eat what’s put in front of you or not at all”. At least I always have a choice from WITHIN the published menu as to what is put in front of me. 

Let’s help all the staff get consistent service to all guests. We have never ordered off menu (and DH has gone without courses when his allergy presented remaining choices he didn’t fancy). 

Azamara should either advertise this option for mixed menus/off menu choices or politely decline all requests except for dietary reasons 

I can see an issue ordering off-menu but, for picking something from the other menu, don't they share a single kitchen?  In which case it's just a case of the plate coming out a different door or, at the worst case, going to a different pass.

38 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

I can see an issue ordering off-menu but, for picking something from the other menu, don't they share a single kitchen?  In which case it's just a case of the plate coming out a different door or, at the worst case, going to a different pass.

As I understand it, the issue is the timings for the chefs on the galley are allocated to what they cook/finish from each restaurant so if for example they are expecting to finish 6 dishes in a period for one restaurant in a set period and that is increased to say 8 with two off menus from another it puts their whole timings out.  Its ok if they are under capacity but with the tighter staff numbers thats less common.  Its also harder for the chef who is working on say Aqualinas dishes to tie up with the one working for Prime C if its a mixed order across the two.  They do cover for each other but at peak service they focus on their own sections

Edited by uktog

I think there is a cultural split on this issue.  Brits in general seem unwilling to ask for special service, while Americans feel that if a service is available it should be utilized if desired.  And while this forum has as many Brits as Americans, Azamara is still a US cruise line.  I have not personally ordered across the specialty menus because there are enough things in each to satisfy, but I wouldn't hesitate if the need (or hankering) arose.

• Like 1

On b2b we saw other  passengers getting Dover Sole. We asked about it and the next evening we had that as our main course. We have sailed 17 times or more on Azamara and never asked previously. We ate every evening in a speciality restaurant forc23 nights and only once sought special.treatment. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, manc said:

On b2b we saw other  passengers getting Dover Sole. We asked about it and the next evening we had that as our main course. We have sailed 17 times or more on Azamara and never asked previously. We ate every evening in a speciality restaurant forc23 nights and only once sought special.treatment. 

I cannot understand re Dover Sole why it’s not on the menu for everyone in Aqualina. It was such a favourite of everyone

It’s one of the dishes I so enjoyed but I can’t bring myself to ask for it as a special request. The very public filleting just rubs me up as I feel for others who did not know to ask for it and I’d feel awkward (maybe I’m too sensitive) 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think there is a cultural split on this issue.  Brits in general seem unwilling to ask for special service, while Americans feel that if a service is available it should be utilized if desired.  And while this forum has as many Brits as Americans, Azamara is still a US cruise line.  I have not personally ordered across the specialty menus because there are enough things in each to satisfy, but I wouldn't hesitate if the need (or hankering) arose.

I’ve not been on an Azamara cruise for years where Americans were in the majority. Funny they were on our Viking cruise but there we saw absolutely no off menu ordering. Maybe it’s a policy maybe it was just given the wider choice people were happy. 

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The point I was making was in response to a poster who was giving information that you could order off either menu in the Specialty Restaurants which really isn't fair. If one wants to eat the Prime C menu then go to Prime C. As I said, the odd dish is fine. I've done it myself, but i wouldn't come here and broadcast order what you like. Of course what one actually does on the ship is a different matter. 

Phil 

19 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The point I was making was in response to a poster who was giving information that you could order off either menu in the Specialty Restaurants which really isn't fair. If one wants to eat the Prime C menu then go to Prime C.....

We've never done this, but it poses the question what if the restaurant you prefer is fully booked and so you book a time in the other one. In that situation I see no issue in ordering across the other menu, and we'd have no problem at all waiting a little longer for it to arrive!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

We've never done this, but it poses the question what if the restaurant you prefer is fully booked and so you book a time in the other one. In that situation I see no issue in ordering across the other menu, and we'd have no problem at all waiting a little longer for it to arrive!

Different situation, but they'd do it and I'd have no problem with that either. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Not to make a MOUNTAIN out of a molehill, the wording is "can", not "should". Not to inconvenience the staff, but for my brand loyalty, I feel no sense of shame ordering Prime C's doughnuts for dessert in Aqualina. But why would I go to Aqualina to order the bone in rib-eye? (Unless one of the restaurants is shut down, as it was a year ago shortly after service resumed.)

Lobster tail are one of the order-able goodies not on the daily menu. I've posted elsewhere that I once asked the Maitre' if I could get a lobster tail appetizer in Aqualina. The answer was neither yes nor no. It was "How many?" When I asked for 2, the answer was NO! He came out with a pile, and insisted on my having 5. Luckily my wife relieved me of several. So the answer to your question is "Yes". (Kevin, we Long Island guys have to stick together. V.S. here.)

43 minutes ago, Dr H said:

Lobster tail are one of the order-able goodies not on the daily menu. I've posted elsewhere that I once asked the Maitre' if I could get a lobster tail appetizer in Aqualina. The answer was neither yes nor no. It was "How many?" When I asked for 2, the answer was NO! He came out with a pile, and insisted on my having 5. Luckily my wife relieved me of several. So the answer to your question is "Yes". (Kevin, we Long Island guys have to stick together. V.S. here.)

If you look at the link provided in post #44 there is no need to consider it as a special request or wish to be special, it is part of the regular menu on Aqualina.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, uktog said:

I cannot understand re Dover Sole why it’s not on the menu for everyone in Aqualina. It was such a favourite of everyone

It’s one of the dishes I so enjoyed but I can’t bring myself to ask for it as a special request. The very public filleting just rubs me up as I feel for others who did not know to ask for it and I’d feel awkward (maybe I’m too sensitive) 

I’ve not been on an Azamara cruise for years where Americans were in the majority. Funny they were on our Viking cruise but there we saw absolutely no off menu ordering. Maybe it’s a policy maybe it was just given the wider choice people were happy. 

We just got off of the Journey. 540 passengers of which 333 were Americans. And the cruise departed out of Southampton!  We’ve never been on an AZ cruise where Americans were not in the majority.

I’m not a Prime C lover as I’m not a beef eater and don’t care for the other entrees. However I make a very nice meal out of starters and sides. I’m in Prime C so I order off of their menu. I do however order the soufflé from Aqualina as I don’t like the one in Prime C and they never seem to do a second option there as they often do in Aqualina. 
Btw - this time Dover Sole was the special each time in Aqualina. And, judging by the amount of filleting going on, it was popular. 

• Like 2