Should have never read reviews!

We love oasis class ships including the allure , we are in a grand suite for harmony in November, you get suite restaurant, suite happy hour , reserved seats for some shows . We will probably try to move up to either aqua or owners suite.

21 hours ago, KEG21552 said:

According to some, it is a giant floating disaster with terrible food, too crowded (ya think - with 6,000 passengers?) and generally in terrible shape and unenjoyable.

What? We sailed Allure last month and none of that was true. I mean, there were tons of people on board, but the ship layout managed it well most of the time. We had a great cruise on Allure.

• Like 2

I don't think blanketly ignoring reviews and going into a cruise blindly is a smart move, particularly before you make the booking.

Seems to me the better option is to read a lot of reviews, consider whether they're trustworthy or if the person posting them is just a crank looking for problems, then see what common problems/complains there are. Then ask yourself if those things will bother you or not.  If so, is it a deal-breaker or are there strategies to avoid these issues so they don't affect your enjoyment of the cruise, etc.

More to the point, I've never been on Allure but have been on Oasis, Harmony and Symphony. Yes, there are crowds and some lines at times but between making reservations and knowing when places are less busy, I never really found it to be much of a problem. There is a lot of passenger space on Oasis class ships. While Allure is older and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of its sister ships (yet), the recent videos I've seen show it's in good shape and still has a lot to offer, especially if you're the type of person who doesn't need water slides and robot bartenders to have a good time at sea.

Edited by PlanetX
Added more detail on Allure
  • Like 1

I read reviews mostly for entertainment.  But, there are some folks in here that do great reviews with facts, not agenda items.  You get to know who is who.  I don't seem to get along with a few of them, but I do respect their review integrity and fact based content.  And I don't judge people by their social media content eventhough we may get into a little dust-up, at times.  Everyone is my friend, except one.

• Like 4

Reviews that are hyper-critical - I usually pass over. If there are intelligent and constructive items being brought up, I'll pay attention. That said, Allure is my favorite ship and aside from the NYE party in the Royal Promenade (good LAWRD) I've never felt crowded. Allure has a good energy and vibe, which I know sounds silly, but I've been on many ships and two that I'm not super keen on are Adventure and Harmony, just hit differently and not in a good way for me. But I'll be back on Harmony in Dec/Jan so we'll see if I come away with a different opinion. Everyone's experience will vary, go enjoy your cruise and formulate your own opinion 😀

Edited by GetToLivin
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Reviews that are hyper-critical - I usually pass over. If there are intelligent and constructive items being brought up, I'll pay attention. That said, Allure is my favorite ship and aside from the NYE party in the Royal Promenade (good LAWRD) I've never felt crowded. Allure has a good energy and vibe, which I know sounds silly, but I've been on many ships and two that I'm not super keen on are Adventure and Harmony, just hit differently and not in a good way for me. But I'll be back on Harmony in Dec/Jan so we'll see if I come away with a different opinion. Everyone's experience will vary, go enjoy your cruise and formulate your own opinion 😀

Yes, 100%.  6000 people on an Oasis Class ship isn't like 6000 people in a dingy.  Like you, I've never felt crowded except in the Promenade and that was only during special events.  But, if you don't like crowds, go elsewhere, it's probably virtually empty.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, 100%.  6000 people on an Oasis Class ship isn't like 6000 people in a dingy.  Like you, I've never felt crowded except in the Promenade and that was only during special events.  But, if you don't like crowds, go elsewhere, it's probably virtually empty.

Agreed and, by extension, this is why my wife and I don't mind sailing with a bunch of kids (we have no choice). We are often spending time where they aren't... not to avoid them, we'd just be in the Solarium anyway due to personal preference, we don't do water slides, we don't spend much time on the Boardwalk unless going to Playmakers or the aqua show, etc.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Don't be alarmed by the reviews, Allure is an awesome ship with some of the best shows in the fleet! It seems many more people feel the urge to post their negative opinions, go and have a great time, you won't be sorry.

Barb

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I was just on Allure for the president’s cruise and didn’t find anything at all bad or wrong with the ship itself. Of course, it’d been spit shined due to the CEO coming onboard. 
No complaints at all about the ship, just the cheapening aspect overall by Royal fleetwide. 

I find your opinions balanced. You allude that everything was well with the ship. I only wish the CEO of RCI would be on all of my cruises!

😁

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

The omelet station is not real visible. It’s at the end (starboard side) of the buffet line. 

My question was an omelet station in the solarium cafe. 
In the WJ it was an individual at the egg station that took orders and gave you a sign with a number as ID. 

love the omelet station on the Anthem and after you order they give you a buzzer to advise when your order is ready. 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, KEG21552 said:

According to some, it is a giant floating disaster with terrible food, too crowded (ya think - with 6,000 passengers?) and generally in terrible shape and unenjoyable.

Five years ago, I loved these ships and would have wholeheartedly disagreed. 

After 5 sailings this year, one on Allure, I would agree with the quoted assessment. The bottom has really fallen out in terms of food, clientele, and ship maintenance/modernization. The only RC I have booked is Utopia for a 3 night inaugural season. 

15 minutes ago, nelblu said:

My question was an omelet station in the solarium cafe. 
In the WJ it was an individual at the egg station that took orders and gave you a sign with a number as ID. 

love the omelet station on the Anthem and after you order they give you a buzzer to advise when your order is ready. 

That’s what I was referring to. 
The omelet station in the Solarium on the Allure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

Is this new as only pre-made omelets cut in half were available on my December, '22 sail.

I was also on allure in dec 2022. Did you ask at the food bar area. I was able to order omelettes or eggs to order. I'm not talking about the ones set out, they will cook one for you too. 

We love the Allure.  Note though we have never sailed her with kids, so have no idea of the activities or amenities for them.  6500 folks seems immense! Aside from the usual waiting for elevators at peak dinner and show times, we never found her overly crowded.  We are a go-with-the-flow couple and don't require the best show seating, the best pool seat, so it's easy for us to relax and enjoy almost anywhere.  Don't cancel, give it a try.  

• Like 1

Aloha. Have been blessed to sail dozens of ships, lines, ports, etc over the decades and have never been disappointed. That said, each line and ship within the line has its own personality so there are differences but I also go with a positive outlook.  Every cruise will have knuckleheads which I am immune to having been born and raised in Manhattan.  If I took all the reviews literally I would never sail lol. I do enjoy the reviews because I like looking at food pictures and menus and tidbits of information. I know menus change but I find it a relaxing hobby.  So go and enjoy and intake the information with a grain of salt. Just like reading restaurant and hotel reviews you can weed through the nonsense.  Keep us posted and all the best!

• Like 1

Every review is a bit like equation with multiple variables or parameters. You don’t know who writes it, why, how truthful are statements. Just think of it. 

Edited by Tatka

Cancelling was never an option.  We are going, (barring any interference from Mother Nature) and we will have a great time.  As I mentioned, this will be # 24 or 25 and on any given day, would much rather be on a cruise ship than anywhere else!

Have had air fare booked for months, luggage tags printed, bought “treasures” for all of my cruise mates and counting down the days.  

The older I get, the looser the definition of perfect gets, so I am absolutely sure this cruise is going to be perfect 😍 

We went on the Allure last Thanksgiving and loved it so much we booked it again April vacation.  It feels crowded at times (by the theater after the show lets out for example), but never overwhelming.  Most of the time you have no idea there are 6500 people on board.