Cookies now cost $2 plus 20%

vkb2751

I'm stuck on Constellation for 16 nights (have reached the point I wish I weren't going). Somewhere on that boat someone had better have a take-away gluten free cookie available at times other than the very few hours the Spa Cafe is open.  The Cafe al Bacio gluten-free cakes are awful; according to my friends who've tried them, much worse than the regular cakes.  BTW, if you think the MDR menus look unappealing, just look at them from the perspective of someone with celiac.  Glad I've booked business class to Rome since I'll need the extra checked bag to carry gluten-free foodstuffs.  I also like the macaroons but usually they're the ONLY decent GF option; sixteen consecutive days is going to be tough.  BTW, appears as though they've eliminated creme brulee from the room service menu = zero GF dessert options now.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'm stuck on Constellation for 16 nights (have reached the point I wish I weren't going). Somewhere on that boat someone had better have a take-away gluten free cookie available at times other than the very few hours the Spa Cafe is open.  The Cafe al Bacio gluten-free cakes are awful; according to my friends who've tried them, much worse than the regular cakes.  BTW, if you think the MDR menus look unappealing, just look at them from the perspective of someone with celiac.  Glad I've booked business class to Rome since I'll need the extra checked bag to carry gluten-free foodstuffs.  I also like the macaroons but usually they're the ONLY decent GF option; sixteen consecutive days is going to be tough.  BTW, appears as though they've eliminated creme brulee from the room service menu = zero GF dessert options now.

I'm sure you know this but you should register your GF needs with special needs department.  It may afford you get some off menu choices.  We have always been happy with the way Celebrity deals with dietary requirements.  If this changes we will be gone immediately.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm sure you know this but you should register your GF needs with special needs department.  It may afford you get some off menu choices.  We have always been happy with the way Celebrity deals with dietary requirements.  If this changes we will be gone immediately.

I know.  And I also get better attention because of status.  But on last year's TA, macaroons were the only option at al Bacio with my afternoon tea.  At least  they did hide them in the back for me (otherwise they'd be gone).  

• Like 3

Unbelievable -- just unbelievable.  Is this an admission of such a cash flow issue that management thinks a $2 cookie will dig them out of a hole?

Does any one have photos of the "handcrafted" cookie on another ship.  The other "test ship" seems to be the Eclipse.  Is this also happening on the Eclipse?

• Like 3

I'm generally pro gratuity on the ships and enjoy giving extra to deserving crew of which there are many. 

I just realized yesterday after seeing some posts from Silhouette that the upcharge items in the MDR appear to have 20% gratuity included as well.  Since Silhouette is sailing from UK the gratuity is included in the price and the Filet price is $23.00 or $19.99 + $4.   Haven't I already paid the MDR waiter gratuity for bringing my meal?

• Like 7

I'm very please I am not a Cookie eater. I would be thoroughly annoyed if I had paid $13 K for a cruise and I now need to pay for a cookie.

16 minutes ago, 59impala said:

This is just plain silly. 

+1. I  will be astonished if these things are not walked back soon.  It truly confuses me as to that the plan is.  I have paid for an all inclusive trip (I get why specialty restaurants are treated differently), however if it is mostly all inclusive and I need to work out what is in / out I will choose another way to spend my money. - Allas wait and see

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Longhorn-ED said:

We will be on the Millie 9/15 for 15 days. All of this makes me think what will be next by the time our cruise sails just a few weeks from now.

Probably TP in your cabin !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

What about the cookies and other pastries at Al Bacio!

Good question.  That is our go to location for desserts.

Sometimes I wonder what are they thinking.  Not too long ago, it was putting gourmet burgers out on the  pool bar at a  cost of (I am thinking it was around $10) or go into OV to get an 'included' hockey puck. Oh and  don't come in OV without proper attire.

I use to say that Celebrity Management is not stupid, but I will now have to take that comment under advisement. 

They need to be thinking of how to increase the value proposition and not nickel and diming their customers.  I can't imagine how little that charge would bring in compared to the negative cost it would generate.

• Like 5

What exactly is included?  And, to the poster that will say "don't worry you won't go hungry on Celebrity," or that "Celebrity can change anything at anytime," go ahead.  But the changes, and this change is ridiculous.  

• Like 10

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

What about the cookies and other pastries at Al Bacio!

Well, would they not have to walk or wait at the elevator to get there???

Besides, personally, I think the selections are better and the best when the pastry chef makes special things for vegans and place them at Al Bacio when I Am aboard...

bon voyage

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I understand the situation, YET, go prepared with a few menu items you want to be served in the MDR and request the night before... more often than not you can get it.

I have rarely enjoyed or chosen items from the vegan/vegetarian menu since sailing with X over ten (10) years ago and rarely have issues with letting the chef know what I want... without any apologies.

Have all the meals been excellent, no, but I got what I asked for and how I wanted it.

As such, I recommend being pro-active on meal preferences/desires and ask to speak with the Chef who can help, as well....

Despite what is on the menu, I have found that there is no reason to not have decent to excellent meals on X if the menu items are not what we expect or want for our "special" diets.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

I think at this time anything that is now free, will be a target.  Next they will charge us to get into the shows!

Until the doors are bum rushed by the masses revolting!!! LOL

bon voyage

This would be one of the most boneheaded ideas in the history of boneheaded ideas, but…

The original post is a repost from an unnamed (and probably unnameable) other site. Does anyone on this thread have independent confirmation? Are we sure we’re not spinning out of control on a bad piece of photoshop? If it’s there, I missed it. 

If they’ve suddenly decided to sell cookies, $2 is just a meaningless annoyance. It’s not even worth programming a sell key!

• Like 2