First time as Diamond question

I remember seeing different lines and different wait areas to board. But it's been a few years. This will be first cruise as Diamond.  Will there be a different line or wait area? I know people who have sailed many times and are higher c&a status act like it's no big deal but for us shlubs that can only cruise once every few years it is a big deal. 

TIA

• Like 2

I think this depends on the port you are sailing from.  We always sail from Port Canaveral, and the last couple of times, C&A status has had no bearing on boarding (it used to).  They seat everyone according to their assigned check-in time and board in that order.  Only suite class (GS and above) had special boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCFirstTimer said:

I think this depends on the port you are sailing from.  We always sail from Port Canaveral, and the last couple of times, C&A status has had no bearing on boarding (it used to).  They seat everyone according to their assigned check-in time and board in that order.  Only suite class (GS and above) had special boarding.

Actually not just suites...but Pinnacles also.  It is that separate area over on that far side near the back with the seats and couches.  

42 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

You pick the time you want to board.  The first time we were 45 minutes early and were directed to a waiting area.  We are diamond and this was on the Serenade of the seas.

You pick the check time in at terminal.  Boarding itself is different and will be at the whim of when the port authority lets you board...which could be delayed for various reasons. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

RCI cruiser tip .... If you go to the terminal after 12:30 there's no waiting...

We cruise from Bayonne and Baltimore and usually sign up for 10:30 (earliest) boarding. It is usually a breeze anyway for all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I remember seeing different lines and different wait areas to board. But it's been a few years. This will be first cruise as Diamond.  Will there be a different line or wait area? I know people who have sailed many times and are higher c&a status act like it's no big deal but for us shlubs that can only cruise once every few years it is a big deal. 

TIA

Then you'll really like the onboard CAS perks/benefits. 

3 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I know people who have sailed many times and are higher c&a status act like it's no big deal but for us shlubs that can only cruise once every few years it is a big deal.

FWIW, we've been Diamond for a while, are about to reach D+, and fortunate enough to be able to sail 2-3 times per year... and it's still a big deal to me! I'm very thankful for my perks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

FWIW, we've been Diamond for a while, are about to reach D+, and fortunate enough to be able to sail 2-3 times per year... and it's still a big deal to me! I'm very thankful for my perks.

Yeah, the D and D+ perks are nice.

I'll be experiencing my first sailing with D+ 340 (aka D++) perks in two weeks.

• Reduced single supplement
  • Cheers with an officer.
  • Upgraded bathroom amenities.  
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

We are reaching 30th cruise (280+ nights) with RCI this year 61th overall and it is still very important for us. It was not the only reason why we switched to sailing with RCI almost exclusively, but it was important reason.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jbooth2099 said:

We are Coal on  this trip coming up, which I assume is Pre-Diamond.  We were told to wait in the parking lot until everyone else gets on board and then we will be let on once we clear inspection for lice.

When my BIL married my wife's sister he had never cruised before. On our first extended family cruise we told him he was rust.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I  know people who have sailed many times and are higher c&a status act like it's no big deal but for us shlubs that can only cruise once every few years it is a big deal. 

TIA

schlub
/SHləb/
noun
DEROGATORYINFORMAL
plural noun: shlubs
  1. a talentless, unattractive, or boorish person.
    "the poor dumb shlub just didn't get it"

20 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:
schlub
/SHləb/
noun
DEROGATORYINFORMAL
plural noun: shlubs
  1. a talentless, unattractive, or boorish person.
    "the poor dumb shlub just didn't get it"

I'm quite aware of what the actual definition is. There are many words people use that don't match the exact definition. But thanks for trying. 

We use it as a way if saying we're beneath the upper society.

In work us Paras say we're just schlubs compared to the teachers and the administration. 

• Like 5

Funny thing is, now that we have made it to Pinnacle awhile back... I am no longer booking with Royal.  Too many cutbacks fleet wide on everything, too much reduction on our loyalty benefits, too much nickel and diming.  Just not the same cruise line since post Covid restart.   The company got so used to all the cutbacks they put in place since then, they never reinstated them again. 

Maybe they figured we were all just used to it and would not miss them.  But some of us remember.  

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

I'm quite aware of what the actual definition is. There are many words people use that don't match the exact definition. But thanks for trying. 

In work us Paras say we're just schlubs compared to the teachers and the administration. 

I knew exactly what you meant. 🙂 

Make sure you have some pictures taken since you both get a free 8x10.  You each will have 24 hours of free internet that you can activate when you want.  If you work it right, you can spread it over four days.  Just do one at staring on an afternoon and you can use it the rest of the day and until that time the next day.  Do the same with the other 24 hours if you both don't need to be logged in at the same time, it is very easy to share and save money.  Another option is to use one for 24 hours and then apply the other to a Voom package for the remaining time of the cruise.

Enjoy your benefits!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Yes, Decimate. Somehow this came to mean almost total destruction.  I'd call it 1/10th of that.

• Like 1

My favorite is when people say "I could care less".   When in actuality...it should be stated as "I couldn't care less".  

I always smile to myself when I heart the first version and say to myself..."Well at least they do care a little".  😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

If you were a teacher here in Florida (like my wife who is in her 24th year I think), you'd still consider yourself a schlub for the amount of work and bureaucracy you'd be dealing with for subpar pay and lack of benefits.

Don't sell yourself short; my impression from over the years is that paras can be very important.

P.S. I think most of us knew what you meant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

TIA

If you are asking about Cape Liberty, there is no special treatment for diamond. Boarding times are not enforced, not looked at in Bayonne. You will check in and be assigned to a seating area close to the escalators & elevator if the boarding process has not begun. Once it does begin, those sitting in row 1 board first followed by each row behind regardless of loyalty status, regardless of scheduled boarding time.

There is an area for key, pinnacle & suite guests, They do get priority boarding.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Funny thing is, now that we have made it to Pinnacle awhile back... I am no longer booking with Royal.  Too many cutbacks fleet wide on everything, too much reduction on our loyalty benefits, too much nickel and diming.  Just not the same cruise line since post Covid restart.   The company got so used to all the cutbacks they put in place since then, they never reinstated them again. 

Maybe they figured we were all just used to it and would not miss them.  But some of us remember.  

Jason T. Liberty. Pay more for less. We should be use to it by now since that's been the norm for the last three years. 🤬

Edited by doghog