Britannia broke her lines

kalos

2 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Wrong, we were on Aurora in Cherbourg in 2019, a water tight outer door was sealed shut properly but a warning light stating it was still open persisted, it was an electrical gremlin.

The captain told us he was happy but needed permission from Carnival operations and somewhere in Hamilton also where the ship is registered for us to legally sail.

Okay 

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I read that people were in fear of their lives. I think that was the telegraph. I think Britannia ' crashed into the tanker'. I would say you couldn't make it up....but🤣

Having seen the footage on BBC News of the ship colliding with the tanker, I think ‘crash’ seems an appropriate word.  Having also seen footage of the general emergency signal, I think most people would have been at least concerned at that point.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

It is not that simple for non-flyers.  Who is going to take responsibility for finding us a way home that does'nt involve flying if everyone has to be disembarked.  The last time we flew the plane was met at Manchester by an ambulance to take DH to hospital and we wouldn't want a repeat of that.

I know it isn’t as my husband has an irrational fear of flying but in this specific case we’re not talking about the whole ship being disembarked are we??

• Like 1

If this happened to us, we would happily volunteer to fly home. I’m a terrible sailor and prefer fly cruises but have sailed from Southampton many times too. It’s only a few days short and if the seas are very rough, I probably wouldn’t enjoy the sail home. On Britannia, we are usually in a deck 9 balcony, (low down and midship) so presumably someone from deck 8 who didn’t want to fly could be moved into our cabin

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve resolved never to fly again, and would rather chew off my right arm that set foot on a plane again. 

But I could fly if it was absolutely necessary, so, if asked, I would probably say  yes

I definitely do not fly, so I would be demanding to stay on board.

• Like 2

Quote from the BBC news feed for information:

“Emmett Lyons, a journalist with the BBC's US partner CBS News, tells BBC's 5 Live that he has been stuck on the tarmac at Palma de Mallorca since 11:00.

He says Palma was already under pressure to get flights out after many were disrupted by severe weather yesterday.

“We’ve been on the tarmac for a couple of hours… we’ve been told there’s no time in which we might know when the flight might take off and we’ll be grounded for an indeterminate amount of time."

Flights that are in the air are landing but take offs going to the U.K. from Palma have been stopped meantime. 

P&O presumably can’t take passengers off into an already crowded airport so do they keep the ship there for another day or find hotels for those flying back to the U.K., only those onboard will know.

What a horrible situation for the company, the passengers and the crew. Really feel for them all.

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It can't be as cut and dried as that. 

We cruise because Michelle can't fly, she is having panic attacks here in case it ever happened to us and we are sitting at home😂

Andy 

I would be the same. Had a panic attack when flying years ago and pledged there and then never to fly again. I take the view that if something medical happened to me when cruising which meant that I had to fly home, then I would be heavily drugged! 

• Like 4

My understanding is that whilst anyone may be asked to fly home, if you can’t fly, have a medical reason, or specifically cruise to avoid flying then accommodations will be made to find someone else.

This is different to if the whole ship having to be flown home when the option to remain would not be possible.

A team from Southampton is now in Palma to run the repatriation, which may take a couple of days and involve guests overnighting in a hotel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, Gardenseat said:

As far as I am aware the intensity of the storm was not expected. 

Exactly the same for us on Aurora in Civitavecchia.  Storm just suddenly erupted and was not expected.  The ferocity of the wind and waves was quite something.  I have heard "Code Alpha" many times, but not Alpha alpha.

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Quote from the BBC news feed for information:

“Emmett Lyons, a journalist with the BBC's US partner CBS News, tells BBC's 5 Live that he has been stuck on the tarmac at Palma de Mallorca since 11:00.

He says Palma was already under pressure to get flights out after many were disrupted by severe weather yesterday.

“We’ve been on the tarmac for a couple of hours… we’ve been told there’s no time in which we might know when the flight might take off and we’ll be grounded for an indeterminate amount of time."

Flights that are in the air are landing but take offs going to the U.K. from Palma have been stopped meantime. 

P&O presumably can’t take passengers off into an already crowded airport so do they keep the ship there for another day or find hotels for those flying back to the U.K., only those onboard will know.

What a horrible situation for the company, the passengers and the crew. Really feel for them all.

I can’t imagine there is too much space in hotels this time of year.

Nightmare!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Got this from a friend on board. 

Quote "We were enjoying a coffee and delicious cake in an excellent bakery in Palma. We were watching the rain pouring down outside. A severe storm caused our ship, the Britannia, to lose its moorings and hit a tanker 😳 We only became aware when we tried to return to the ship, and it had gone! It was in the middle of the bay, assessing the damage. It was four hours before we were allowed back on board. We should have left Palma at 6pm, heading for Gibraltar, but the captain has announced we are staying here tonight. Us Brits are a stoic bunch 😉 hubby offered his 'damage control' services, but they were politely declined 😆 Several hours ago some sad Welsh person had been communicating with Wales Online (since shared with several other media) and has created some dramatic saga about big bangs, floating debris, and the likelihood that Britannia will never sail again 🙄 They wished to remain anonymous! I'm not surprised. I would be mortified if I was Welsh. Since getting back on board, we have spoken to a couple of perfectly reasonable people who give a less dramatic version. Palma is a lovely place so we don't mind spending more time here, but would be disappointed if we miss Gibraltar. Palma suffered a lot of damage from the storm including trees ripped out by their roots, windows blown out, and roof materials flying about. A number of people from the ship had to go to hospital with cuts from flying glass when windows in one of the terminals were shattered. But no-one died. Drama over" 

Well I’m Welsh and don’t feel in the least mortified! What a stupid thing to say. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Having seen the footage on BBC News of the ship colliding with the tanker, I think ‘crash’ seems an appropriate word.  Having also seen footage of the general emergency signal, I think most people would have been at least concerned at that point.  

I'm sure you are right.  We fly off to the South of France next week. I will be more concerned if the plane crashes, than I would if the ship bumps into another.

20 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I hate flying which is why I cruise! If I had to in this circumstance I could but I’d be incredibly stressed and hope there would be enough volunteers!

I love flying providing they land on the runway  😀    .......

https://youtu.be/PnzJFzHJFiM?si=VLnF1fInZbBByqdg&t=44     🙃

• Haha 3