Britannia broke her lines

kalos

2 minutes ago, kermchem said:

For those who will be flying back I can’t think of any good reason why a dedicated charter flight would need to fly back to Gatwick. Plenty of capacity to fly into Southampton. 

Yes agree, no reason at all why it shouldn't fly into Southampton.  That's where the passengers expected to be, where their cars are et.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

It is in the German papers this morning, too. It says that two poeple are injured-slight injuries- but still.

Nothing about some passengers fearing for their life- well Drama Queens are rather comon these days.

Good name for a ship!

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

20 minutes ago, kermchem said:

For those who will be flying back I can’t think of any good reason why a dedicated charter flight would need to fly back to Gatwick. Plenty of capacity to fly into Southampton. 

In my post (thinking outside the box ) were just my thoughts as I posted, could be anywhere ,

Gatwick was just an example .

With the ATC backlog that needs sorting ,but I agree it would be great if they flew them into Southampton ,fingers crossed for them all.

• Like 4

Dealing with all the hullabaloo maybe P&O weren't aware of how serious the air problems were. Did they even let the volunteers know there might have been delays involved?  Without a crystal ball what were they to do? Reading about fisticuffs and passengers at Palma not being able to get accommodation in Majorca in what is peak season I'd think they've done very well to house 321 or whatever persons anywhere.

I've got relatives currently trapped in Europe, originally in France but now in Italy after taking a train there overnight.  They can't get a flight home for a week, have work commitments going to pot but are super lucky to have friends in Italy to help.  The P&O guests should put their hands together and thank the lord they at least have someone doing the worrying and organising for events totally beyond P&O's control.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, kalos said:

A bit like the woman who was in Guernsey on the Ventura  (Not the Britannia)

said ... "This has shocked me and I really don't want to be on this ship anymore  !  "  🥴🙄

That would be equivalent to @grapau27 wanting to come home from Lake District  🤣

Personally I would like to spend most of my time on a ship or holiday hotel if i could.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That;s probably fair.  I suppose all you have suffered is the loss of a port?  You will still get home on time?

That tends to put it in perspective, normally P&O just say claim it off your insurance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Without a crystal ball what were they to do? Reading about fisticuffs and passengers at Palma not being able to get accommodation in Majorca in what is peak season I'd think they've done very well to house 321 or whatever persons anywhere.

Agree entirely ,be happy that P&O got a hotel regardless of star rating .

• Like 8

You have to laugh.  One person on FB that I asked what exactly it was that they were demanding compensation for, after all she was still on the ship and sailing home and all that was lost was one port, ie Gib.  She answered"You are not on the ship and you have no idea what some of the families on here have suffered!!"  

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

38 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree, no reason at all why it shouldn't fly into Southampton.  That's where the passengers expected to be, where their cars are et.

Southampton’s Runway has not been extended yet, The Airport can only accept small aircraft I think. Bournemouth would be the next Alternative with short coach journey to the port. 

42 minutes ago, kermchem said:

The flight was planned for Bournemouth airport, with onward coaches to Southampton.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

One what made me smile is a lady who is now kicking off after she volunteered to leave the ship ,that no P&O person was at the 2* hotel to say sorry for crashing the ship (They didn't ) and goes onto blame them ATC problem with aircraft. Also thinks the hotel should be five star at least .

There are two star hotels and then there are two star hotels - some I would be happy with, some I would not, but really it depends on how long you are spending there. Overnight after disembarkation for a flight the next day is one thing, but staying several days is another.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I was chatting with the Mrs and we came to the conclusion that if we had been onboard , we would have stayed put onboard . 

Thinking outside the box .. Coached to a hotel for up to 2 nights , then the airport ,flight back to who knows where ,maybe Gatwick and a coach back to Southampton.

Could be late afternoon and then get our car and a 4-5 hour run back home !

Rather be chilled out on the ship . That's our thoughts anyway .

The only reasons why I can see that you would want to take the hotel / fly back option, rather than spending a few days at sea, would be if the offer was too good to turn down - and for me that would have to be a *very* significant offer, not just a refund of those days lost. Obviously not a full refund to the cruise, but something that I would have to seriously think about.

Plus I would want absolute certainty of where I would be staying, when and who I would be flying with, the arrangements to get back to Southampton (or direct home if my car wasn't parked there).

In essence they would likely find someone with a lower bar than me to volunteer before I did.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I would not be happy to be put into a 2 star hotel as it is not a standard I would ever purchase for myself, nor is it equivalent to the Britannia accommodation. Personally I don’t think P&O would put anyone in a 2 star?

I would not have volunteered to get off the ship even before the air traffic problems far less knowing that the flights will be definitely be delayed and accommodation on the island is at a premium because so many Brits are stranded.

I’m really surprised they got 321 (according to the news) volunteers. Now I know Moley said that some crew and family would be in the numbers but some passengers would still need to “volunteer”. The question is who in their right mind would do so in the circumstances.

I’m not 100% sure that all the 321 that have been put off the ship are volunteers. I’ve been getting the impression that it’s been mainly based on lifeboat allocation. 

if asked, I probably would have agreed to be offloaded, but not been very happy about it. But I  wouldn’t have volunteered for it.

I’ve also got the impression that the 321 have been booked into a not particularly nice hotel in Alcudia for 2 nights and aren’t getting much in the way information.

I hope that the 321 get a refund of the nights that they didn’t spend on board, a refund of any out of pocket expenses, and a decent amount compensation as a thank you from P&O. After all, the 321 are doing P&O a favour 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Southampton’s Runway has not been extended yet, The Airport can only accept small aircraft I think. Bournemouth would be the next Alternative with short coach journey to the port. 

It was completed a few weeks ago.

https://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2023/08/official-opening-for-southampton-runway-extension-on-21st-september/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m not 100% sure that all the 321 that have been put off the ship are volunteers. I’ve been getting the impression that it’s been mainly based on lifeboat allocation. 

if asked, I probably would have agreed to be offloaded, but not been very happy about it. But I  wouldn’t have volunteered for it.

I’ve also got the impression that the 321 have been booked into a not particularly nice hotel in Alcudia for 2 nights and aren’t getting much in the way information.

I hope that the 321 get a refund of the nights that they didn’t spend on board, a refund of any out of pocket expenses, and a decent amount compensation as a thank you from P&O. After all, the 321 are doing P&O a favour 

I got this impression too, several people posted that they had a letter telling them they had to leave while others flat out refused to go.

In better news, reports on FB indicate that the P&O inquiry phone has an automated message saying that Friday's sailing will proceed as planned on Friday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One would hope they exhausted all the volunteers before forcing people off the ship. That's the way airlines do it , even if they have to systematically up the bribes.

I wonder if they told the people the hotel grade before they arrived. I think I'd have said no , and got a doctor's note about my fear of flying.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

You have to laugh.  One person on FB that I asked what exactly it was that they were demanding compensation for, after all she was still on the ship and sailing home and all that was lost was one port, ie Gib.  She answered"You are not on the ship and you have no idea what some of the families on here have suffered!!"  

Sounds like an ideal passenger for the SS Drama Queen!  

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, windra06 said:

I got this impression too, several people posted that they had a letter telling them they had to leave while others flat out refused to go.

In better news, reports on FB indicate that the P&O inquiry phone has an automated message saying that Friday's sailing will proceed as planned on Friday.

If I was on Friday’s sailing I’d be bracing for a very late cancellation, or getting on the ship and not leaving Southampton for a couple of days.

Hopefully it will leave as planned. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

There are two star hotels and then there are two star hotels - some I would be happy with, some I would not, but really it depends on how long you are spending there. Overnight after disembarkation for a flight the next day is one thing, but staying several days is another.

The only reasons why I can see that you would want to take the hotel / fly back option, rather than spending a few days at sea, would be if the offer was too good to turn down - and for me that would have to be a *very* significant offer, not just a refund of those days lost. Obviously not a full refund to the cruise, but something that I would have to seriously think about.

Plus I would want absolute certainty of where I would be staying, when and who I would be flying with, the arrangements to get back to Southampton (or direct home if my car wasn't parked there).

In essence they would likely find someone with a lower bar than me to volunteer before I did.

That is why the Mrs and I agreed we would have stayed on the ship back to Southampton .

• Like 4

On 8/28/2023 at 8:14 AM, Josy1953 said:

Some people just like to moan. 

I think that most regular cruisers will have experienced missed ports and now just go with the flow.  We were once bussed from Cannes to Nice because the sea had become too rough off Cannes to continue tendering.

Adonia got caught in a sudden cyclone while on our way to Italy in 2015 which damaged the stabilisers. We were mid cruise but completed the itinerary, albeit with much rolling, and only one missed port. A very interesting cruise indeed, but enjoyable just the same.

Avril

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If I was on Friday’s sailing I’d be bracing for a very late cancellation, or getting on the ship and not leaving Southampton for a couple of days.

I'm on Fridays cruise, will be Happy even if we sail a little late or miss the first port.

Otherwise we won't get a chance to do the same itinerary for a year and might not end up getting away this year, we haven't been abroad since precovid so 🤞

Despite the abysmal communication they have reacted to the problem astonishingly quickly, im amazed they feel they can get the repairs done on Friday.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Well the language has certainly changed.

bbc yesterday

P&O said guests were asked to "kindly volunteer to disembark".

Sky news today

The spokesperson said "a limited number of guests and crew" had been advised they would be leaving the ship and would be flown back to their starting point

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, windra06 said:

I'm on Fridays cruise, will be Happy even if we sail a little late or miss the first port.

Otherwise we won't get a chance to do the same itinerary for a year and might not end up getting away this year, we haven't been abroad since precovid so 🤞

Despite the abysmal communication they have reacted to the problem astonishingly quickly, im amazed they feel they can get the repairs done on Friday.

Hope your cruise goes ahead for you with minimal dispruption, 🤞

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

According to Marinetraffic, thundering along at near full speed.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm on Friday's sailing but as I live in Southampton I'd probably have mixed feelings if I managed to get on the ship and then didn't go anywhere for a couple of days!

• Like 2