New Menus for Luminae

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Another southern favorite, biscuits and sausage gravy, seems to be missing also.

That, in my opinion, was no loss.  In all 73 of my years I have never, except on a cruise ship, seen sausage links used in sausage gravy.  If it does not use ground sausage it is not sausage gravy. 

Another miss 90% of the time are the grits.  You should be able to take a spoon full of grits and turn it upside down without the grits falling off.  I had them come very close a couple of times on our last cruise but they were still too watery IMHO.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

That, in my opinion, was no loss.  In all 73 of my years I have never, except on a cruise ship, seen sausage links used in sausage gravy.  If it does not use ground sausage it is not sausage gravy. 

Another miss 90% of the time are the grits.  You should be able to take a spoon full of grits and turn it upside down without the grits falling off.  I had them come very close a couple of times on our last cruise but they were still too watery IMHO.  

The biscuits weren’t really much like biscuits either, but I still had it once in a while for something different.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2023 at 3:03 PM, swigso said:

I am just looking at our cruises in March and neither show Luminae open for lunch on sea days 😱

Don't trust the app until your cruise. It showed Luminae on deck 3 last year before our cruise.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, DaKahuna said:

The oatmeal is often a soupy mess as well.  I rarely order it onboard

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The oatmeal is often a soupy mess as well.  I rarely order it onboard

I like my oatmeal to be like your grits, when I get a spoonful I want them to stay on the spoon when I turn it upside-down. Not been able to get my oatmeal that way on a cruise so far.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I kind of skipped through all the pages here but only saw one actual dinner menu from Luminae.  Does anyone actually know where we might see the menus?  We were very disappointed in them on our Apex TA last fall and this spring.  

You can look on the app at any ships current sailing and see what is offered each night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

So, I took the advice to look at a current sailing on Eclipse. The Luminae menu still includes the old Daniel Boulud menu items. Most everything seems familiar. Oh, the huevos ranchero is still on the breakfast menu.

Intreaging 🤔 I had a look and your're right the sailing leaving today shows huevos ranchero for breakfast tommorow and the old boulud dishes. I tried Relection it shows the sausage and huevos ranchero free breakfast and some of the new lunch and dinner itemsbut the old boulud too. Silhouette seemes to be all new. prehaps they are using up old stock first?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 2:49 AM, Mark_K said:

Another southern favorite, biscuits and sausage gravy, seems to be missing also.

They won't be missed....they were the least southern version I have ever had. Both the biscuits and gravy were sweet! I honestly wanted to go into the kitchen to teach them how to make it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

They won't be missed....they were the least southern version I have ever had. Both the biscuits and gravy were sweet! I honestly wanted to go into the kitchen to teach them how to make it.

I wish someone would.  Same with the grits -- they are supposed to be thick and sticky, not runny. 

Does the app not refresh the menus until you get on board?  According to the app this morning's Summit Luminae breakfast has the Belgian waffle rather than the new savory potato waffle.  Tonight's Summit Luminae menu still has the old DB items including the raspberry dessert.  

By the way when did chicken and waffles fall by the wayside?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Does the app not refresh the menus until you get on board?  According to the app this morning's Summit Luminae breakfast has the Belgian waffle rather than the new savory potato waffle.  Tonight's Summit Luminae menu still has the old DB items including the raspberry dessert.  

By the way when did chicken and waffles fall by the wayside?

Maybe the new menus have not made it to some ships. The new menu shows up on the current Apex cruise in the app with both the breakfast and DB menu changes.

31 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Maybe the new menus have not made it to some ships. The new menu shows up on the current Apex cruise in the app with both the breakfast and DB menu changes.

New menu looks good to me  

May not satisfy the prime rib and lobster every night crowd though 

7 minutes ago, tfred said:

New menu looks good to me  

May not satisfy the prime rib and lobster every night crowd though 

After 4 Retreat cruises it will be nice to finally have a changed menu and with out the DB Moroccan Chicken

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, terrydtx said:

After 4 Retreat cruises it will be nice to finally have a changed menu and with out the DB Moroccan Chicken

I’ll be in the Retreat in October on the Equinox. Unfortunately, the Daniel Boulud menu has not changed yet on that ship. That Moroccan Chicken is a stinker of a dish. Everyone knows it. On Millennium in April my son said he was going to order it. I told him about all the poor reviews here, but my nagging only made him more determined to try it. Our waiter brought our entrees out, and within 3 minutes the maitre’d was at our table hovering at my son’s elbow offering to get him another dish of his choosing. This was without any comment from my son. 😂 He refused and said he was fine. Later when I asked how it was, he said “Well, the quinoa was good”.

We joked that there was probably panic in the kitchen when word got around that someone had ordered that dish. Throw another steak on the grill, that stinker is going to be sent back!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I’ll be in the Retreat in October on the Equinox. Unfortunately, the Daniel Boulud menu has not changed yet on that ship. That Moroccan Chicken is a stinker of a dish. Everyone knows it. On Millennium in April my son said he was going to order it. I told him about all the poor reviews here, but my nagging only made him more determined to try it. Our waiter brought our entrees out, and within 3 minutes the maitre’d was at our table hovering at my son’s elbow offering to get him another dish of his choosing. This was without any comment from my son. 😂 He refused and said he was fine. Later when I asked how it was, he said “Well, the quinoa was good”.

We joked that there was probably panic in the kitchen when word got around that someone had ordered that dish. Throw another steak on the grill, that stinker is going to be sent back!

I had the new duck last night and what improvement it was very good but on the spicy side. The corn soup with prawns was also good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1