What is Yummy in the Main Dining Room?

Diane67B

58 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

carrot cake it was always 3 layers it is now 2 layers but very good.

Damn, is there anything safe from cutbacks?  What did they save, a quarter per cake?  Man, it's getting bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jt4428 said:

We asked for breadsticks and the head waiter said no special requests. So my daughter went to Windjammer each night we went to MDR and brought them in a napkin from the buffet. Was I embarrassed? Hell no.

My 8 year daughter asked if she could get pizza one night in the MDR. They said no, so I went down to the royal promenade, got some and brought it back. Whoever is in charge needs to travel on their own ships and see how petty it’s become. 

• Like 4

Steak Diane and the Chicken Parmasian.   My favorite  was the duck, but as someone else mentioned it's gone . As is all the yummy sugar free desserts they use to make. It went from great desserts to puddings or as they call them mousse .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just returned from the Grandeur of the seas, August 19-26th and found the food in the MDR to be wonderful.  The food was good enough we opted not to visit any of the specialty restaurants.  We did opt for the Chef's Table which was excellent.  As far as the MDR menu I enjoyed the French Onion Soup and Escargots.  There was one night that Tapas were on the menu which we really enjoyed.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

My 8 year daughter asked if she could get pizza one night in the MDR. They said no, so I went down to the royal promenade, got some and brought it back. Whoever is in charge needs to travel on their own ships and see how petty it’s become. 

Let's be reasonable, here.  If another table had a kid who wanted something from the Windjammer, would you expect someone to go grab that too?  The dining venues are highly choreographed for efficiency - getting your daughter pizza isn't always an option.  

Back to the focus of this thread, I was recently on Odyssey and pre-panicked about all of the MDR demise hype, and we ate exclusively at specialty restaurants (which we enjoyed).  But every time I walked past the MDR, folks looked to be having a great time well into the late evening.  Our family had a great cruise, but a regret was not eating in the MDR.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Yummy?  Let’s see. 

Duck a l’orange? - nope, they don’t serve it anymore. 
Lamb Chops? - nope, they only serve skimpy lamb shanks now. 
Crab cakes? - crab meat is not rubbery is it?  What’s in there?

Caribbean Pork Chops - oh waiter, would you sharpen this steak knife?

Mexican night - is this skirt steak? Did they skin the bull first?

Could I get cheese cake for dessert?  Oh, not tonight?

I could go on…..

I laughed out loud reading your comment…..but it’s sad that it’s all true. I don’t ever eat any of their red meat or worse their pork anymore. Sad, but the positive side is I don’t gain any weight 

• Like 1

French onion soup is always a favorite of mine.  The beef tenderloin on formal night has always been good.  I was very surprised at how good the skirt steak was on Mexican night - after I got a new one cause the first was significantly over cooked. The head waiter noticed and got me a new plate and it was very tender and flavorful. 

I also like the fettuccine Alfredo they had, I did request extra sauce and a piece of grilled chicken. That was one of the best meals I had in the mdr. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Buns/Rolls, the ones with the pumpkin seeds on them are beyond fantastic.  They are also available in just about every other dining venue.

The rolls used to be much better….they were crispy, not anymore….BUT the pumpkin seed ones are my favorite…..except for savory bites which I haven’t seen in many years. 

funny how rolls are my favorite food in the MDR. I can’t think of any other thing that stands out

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

The pecan crusted salmon was really good. Warm cookie was a great dessert. Kids enjoyed the tortellini with cream sauce.

On the flip side, the apple cobbler on formal night was terrible - it tasted like they used rancid oil to make it. Try to find the apple blossom on the lunch menu instead - YUM!

Great advice!! Thanks!!

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

The rolls used to be much better….they were crispy, not anymore….BUT the pumpkin seed ones are my favorite…..except for savory bites which I haven’t seen in many years. 

funny how rolls are my favorite food in the MDR. I can’t think of any other thing that stands out

I lived in Germany for a total of 6 years, I loved the German Botchen rolls.  They were crispy on the outside and thick on the inside.  It was a task of strength to bite down on the roll and tear it apart.  That is what the Pumpkin Seed Roll reminded me of on RCCL.  If you can't tell, I'm/we're bread people.  BTW, I use the descriptor of Pumpkin Seed as a means of identification.  I could do without the Pumpkin Seeds, though, but they are fine, I don't brush them off.  Now, if RCCl would make a real NY-style cheesecake (I eat what they have but it ain't the real deal) and double chocolate cake (milk chocolate icing), I'd be a happy camper.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I'll be honest.. the savory bites were why I went to the dining room on every cruise. After the restart they were not around but if you asked for them they would have them for you each day after you asked. Now, with the new menu since January, they will not make them for you. UGH. 

• Like 2

Too much negativity here.  It's not just about the food, which is fine.  

It's about the interaction with the waiters and assistant waiters

It's about sharing a time with family and special fiends

It's about enjoying being served and not complaining about everything

Enjoy!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ky Bill said:

We just returned from the Grandeur of the seas, August 19-26th and found the food in the MDR to be wonderful.  The food was good enough we opted not to visit any of the specialty restaurants.  We did opt for the Chef's Table which was excellent.  As far as the MDR menu I enjoyed the French Onion Soup and Escargots.  There was one night that Tapas were on the menu which we really enjoyed.

Bill

go big blue!

You guys rock!! Thank you so much for all your replies. Now, when I go into the dining room I know what to get and what to avoid. 

i am excited to try the beef tenderloin as several here mentioned it and I don’t eat it often. Also, I will have to try the Indian food, coconut shrimp, escargot, French onion soup, Asian pork appetizer, short ribs, crusted salmon, steak Diane, Royal chicken with truffle fries and the buns with the pumpkin seeds.  For dessert, the carrot cake, warm cookie and tortellini with sauce. 

Thanks so much again. I am really getting a lot out of this thread.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Enjoy!

I am just so excited about cruising again! Thank you! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Enjoy!

<SMH>

I view the so-called" complaints in this thread as "Public Service Announcements" and they are much appreciated, at least by me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

You guys rock!! Thank you so much for all your replies. Now, when I go into the dining room I know what to get and what to avoid. 

i am excited to try the beef tenderloin as several here mentioned it and I don’t eat it often. Also, I will have to try the Indian food, coconut shrimp, escargot, French onion soup, Asian pork appetizer, short ribs, crusted salmon, steak Diane, Royal chicken with truffle fries and the buns with the pumpkin seeds.  For dessert, the carrot cake, warm cookie and tortellini with sauce. 

Thanks so much again. I am really getting a lot out of this thread.

Man, that's going to be one big meal - LOL

Is the 67B Army MOS related (crew chief)?