Did RC honor your special needs/special requests?

qa4ever

Hello,

I'm wondering what the advantage is of making requests ahead of time, as it seems RC didn't have any of ours.

The requests I had made were for:

- Medical fridge for my daughter's medication

- Distilled Water/Extension cord for cpap for husband

- Allergies noted for dining room

- Request to sit with another family at dinner

When we got on board our room attendant was not aware of the requests that we had made by filling in the special needs form that was confirmed by the special needs department.  But he was able to honor them and get the fridge and distilled water and extension cord.

Our travel agent had confirmed our request to sit at an 8 top with another family.  When we got on our board, we were at a 4 top and the dining room did not have that request either.  They told us we could talk to someone after the first dinner but we thought it would be awkward to switch after the first night so did not.  They also did not know about my allergy but were able to accommodate.

I'm wondering if there is any benefit to actually filling in the form ahead of time if they don't seem to be noted on board, or if this was an anomoly?

Thanks!

It seems to be pretty hit-or-miss. It's probably worth continuing to fill out the form, because sometimes it does work. But unfortunately, about 50% of the time, it has to be dealt with once you're onboard.

One note for future reference: dining room requests are also hit-or-miss (again, about 50% in our experience), but you can go to the dining room anytime on boarding day and check out your dining assignments. You can start by comparing the table number listed on your cards with the table number of the other family you want to be seated with. If they don't have you at the same table, they are usually able to change it. Just go to the podium near the dining room entrance and speak with the attendant. That way it's handled before your first dinner, no awkwardness required. 🙂

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 2

We were told by room steward that most times they are not made aware of special needs at the beginning of every cruise.  Any items ordered for cabin usually arrive by dinner time and Sometimes delivered by staff other than room steward.

This seemed to be the case with most cruises with my Mom that need a medical fridge for insulin and sharps container.

As for food allergies it is best to have that conversation in the Dining room.  

For table arrangements we usually email rcldining 2 or 3 weeks before each cruise.  Majority of our requests have been filled.

• Like 1

Yeah, it just makes me wonder if there is any reason to request ahead of time or just deal with it when you get on board.

We also requested they split the bed for my daughters, and the bed was not split.  But when we got on board, they split it for example.

32 minutes ago, qa4ever said:

Yeah, it just makes me wonder if there is any reason to request ahead of time or just deal with it when you get on board.

We also requested they split the bed for my daughters, and the bed was not split.  But when we got on board, they split it for example.

If you need a medical fridge it would be best to request ahead of the cruise, my understanding is there is limited number of them per ship.  

Bed splitting is no biggy for room steward to do once onboard.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My experience has been hit or miss when requesting distilled water & extension cord (for some ship classes that don't have outlets by the bed) for CPAP. I'e done it both through Special Needs department & filling out the newer version of the cruise docs where you can make requests for your cabin attendant. If it is not already in the cabin upon arrival, I simply request it from the cabin attendant when we meet them.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you need a medical fridge it would be best to request ahead of the cruise, my understanding is there is limited number of them per ship.  

Bed splitting is no biggy for room steward to do once onboard.  

We requested a medical fridge prior to our last cruise and it wasn’t in the cabin upon arrival. Luckily our attendant was nearby and was able to help us out. 

We are sailing again in early October and have made the same request. Hopefully we’ll get one without having to bother our attendant when they’re so busy that first day but we shall see

49 minutes ago, rg123 said:

We requested a medical fridge prior to our last cruise and it wasn’t in the cabin upon arrival. Luckily our attendant was nearby and was able to help us out. 

We are sailing again in early October and have made the same request. Hopefully we’ll get one without having to bother our attendant when they’re so busy that first day but we shall see

They have rarely ever been in my Moms cabins but always showed up within a couple of hours.  We were told room attendants do not know about these requests since they come thru different dept to be delivered to cabins, but always best to let room steward know what you ordered.

• Like 1

Our waiter already had my son's allergy noted and ask who he was (by name) to make sure he double-checked everything didn't have his allergen.  

Our regular room requests. like opening connecting doors and splitting the beds, were not met, but were taken care of quickly.