Royal Caribbean - antivirals onboard for covid just in case?

Hi - we are heading out for a cruise in late September for 14 days.  We have had the latest booster shot last September, and we are hoping that we can get a new booster before leaving for the cruise.  It is uncertain if it will be available before we go.

My husband is considered more high risk that I am, but we are both seniors and have some concern about the availability of treatments on board if we do get sick.  I know that Paxlovid was unavailable in 2022 on board, but not the drug is more readily available in the US and I wonder if it will be available on board should we test positive during our cruise.

I know that you need to have "recent" blood work with you to get a paxlovid prescription and we both plan to bring blood test results with us just in case.  Also, my husband takes a medication that needs to be adjusted to take paxlovid and he plans on taking something in writing that explains the protocol for this purpose.  We are hoping that we do not need any of this.

Question - this is in Europe so just getting off the ship to head to the CVS is not an option.  Also, we will have the RC trip insurance and also a supplemental policy so hoping this covers the cost of the drug.  Also, we are both on Medicare and that should cover the cost as well I think.

So - does anyone know if the antivirals are on board in case needed during a cruise with RC?  And has anyone gotten a travel prescription to take with in case you test positive while on the ship or while traveling in Europe?  Both of us have had covid in the past but it has been at least a year for both of us.  We each took Paxlovid and had no problems, but of course we do not know if the outcome would have been different had we not had the antiviral.

Any and all help is appreciated.  I searched, but could not find any information specific to RC or information that is very recent.

• Haha 1

If you are concerned by Covid, perhaps reconsider the vacation. 

We were on Explorer last month. Some of us were symptomatic before we got home but testing negative. My son tested positive when we got home. There was a noticeable number of people coughing and blowing their nose on the ship. Covid is around and will be. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

If you are concerned by Covid, perhaps reconsider the vacation. 

We were on Explorer last month. Some of us were symptomatic before we got home but testing negative. My son tested positive when we got home. There was a noticeable number of people coughing and blowing their nose on the ship. Covid is around and will be. 

I got Covid on the NYE cruise on Jewel. I started symptoms the day I got home, tested negative for 2 days before it showed positive.  No one else in our group of 8 got it.

Good day! 

I will preface what I am about to say that each individual has to make their own decisions regarding balancing the risk of cruising vs staying home, etc. 

That being said, as a physician, my opinion is that the Covid-19 which is circulating today is NOT the same virus as it was 3 years ago. It is pretty much like every other cold virus out there IMO.  I would not be worried about catching it on a cruise ship anymore than I would at home. For almost everyone, treatment is unnecessary. And all of the talk about folks who are immunocompromised...the data show that they are not at any greater risk than anyone else. It is our immune response to Covid which causes people to die. Folks who are immunocompromised don't mount the same immune response to Covid as others.

My recommendation is to enjoy your cruise. 

Cheers! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

My doctor wrote a prescription for me ahead of my upcoming two week sailing. I figure covid will be onboard and I'd rather be less sick than more sick. A positive test is no longer required to fill the prescription. I've taken it before without problems, as have a lot of people I know.

Our cruise if for 2 weeks so there is time to catch it, diagnose it, and treat it while on the ship.  We will be taking precautions of course.   Getting sick is no fun regardless of the cause - but my husband has lung issues and we would like to be prepared.  Sounds like we should try to get a prescription before going and literally bring it with us - we will be in Europe and cannot just run to the local pharmacy.  We will definitely bring covid tests with us, just in case we start showing symptoms, but we are hopeful that we will not get sick.

I got sick with covid about a year ago and took Paxlovid as soon as I tested positive.  No side effects except the bad taste and I had no rebound.  My husband got sick about 3 months earlier than I did, and he started to run a high fever but we were lucky enough to get Paxlovid and it resolved quickly.  However, there was a rebound per the test, but no symptoms after the initial treatment of Paxlovid.

I am not sure if his Physician will prescribe as a travel medicine.  Mine might as she has a different philosophy.  But, I don't want to be barred from taking the booster when it becomes available.  We are hoping that it is available before our cruise - but it might not be as we leave September 27.  They are saying mid to late September.  Fingers crossed.

As for long term side effects - well we are both in our 70s so I worry more about short term effects these days. 

3 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

And all of the talk about folks who are immunocompromised...the data show that they are not at any greater risk than anyone else. It is our immune response to Covid which causes people to die. Folks who are immunocompromised don't mount the same immune response to Covid as others.

I'm no doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but don't these two sentences contradict each other?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

No, they do not. I was saying that our immune RESPONSE, in the lungs, especially, is what causes people to die from Covid. Immunocomprimised folks don't mount as aggressive of a response. Therfore, they don't have the same damage to their lungs as immunocompetant people. 

I other words...it is the immune response that does the damage that hurts people. Without the immune response, there is a lower likelihood of severe lung damage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm no doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but don't these two sentences contradict each other?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

You need to stay in a Holiday inn express and you will understand!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

If you do have health issues, ask you primary care physician for a prescription for the antiviral.  Bring the medication with you.  We also bring other antibiotics with us if we should get ill.  Even tylenol and aspirin expensive on the ship!  We bring it all.

We do too…

DH has the latest strain of Covid right now.  It's like a very mild cold.  He's been taking ivermectin and HCQ (prescribed by our DS, who is a MD)  along with vitamin C and zinc.  After 4 days, it's gone.  If you have those things on hand or something similar, take them with you just in case.