Regent App?

registrar

Please no!

Not now, not ever!

I am not technology adverse at all, but everyone walking around the ship looking at their phones would really take away from the friendly, “I’m having a great time”, atmosphere on board. 
I detest the Seabourn app…the answer to everything is “it’s on the app”. I don’t want to be spending fifteen minutes finding something on the app, which I can barely read on my iPhone, when I could find it on Passages in one. 

• Like 10

There is an ongoing (rather prickly) discussion on the Oceania board about this topic. 

I am unable to give my 2c on this board. as I haven’t yet cruised on Regent, so wouldn’t presume to know the line, unlike a few over there who have never been on O but are emailing execs demanding an app! However on O I am an old hand, so have been running my mouth freely(!). On a smaller ship like the O R class (Sirena, Nautica et al) or even their O or A classes the ships are small enough and have more than enough staff that you don’t need to order a drink from your app to get service, you don’t need to order food from an app. Everything that needs a booking is pretty much booked beforehand. Apps are the cruise equivalent of a self service checkout - a reason to reduce staffing numbers. Something I can’t see happening on O (or R). 

I would acquiesce to have menus on an app, but I love a good graze on a menu even when not on a cruise. 

• Like 1

I also have little use for phones while on the ship.  I normally turn my phone off once I get to the airport and only turn it back on when I am on the ship under their system.  On the ship I normally only use it to check emails and messages.  I guess you could use your phone to take pictures of the daily schedule and port contact information from the daily passages if you feel the need for that information.  On my last cruise I plugged my phone in to charge it before going to the airport and forgot it at home.  The only trouble I had was when I returned to the airport on my way home I could not tell the person who was picking me up which door I would be at.

7 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

It sure would enhance the shore excursions if you could listen to the guide via your mobile phone and ear buds. I think they tried that and for some reason pulled the plug on it.

I do have a Regent app downloaded on my phone. I had no idea it was no longer being used. I remember it worked great the few times we did use it though. 

IMG_2370.thumb.png.ab16a16ce147573127b7cbb48ddec923.png

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

I think they tried that and for some reason pulled the plug on it.

No longer in use.

The few times it was in use we found the system to be very good but apparently some guests had issues and many guides did not like carrying the required equipment 🤨

Posts from Regent rep on previous thread confirms nothing in place for excursions:

• Thanks 1

We were able to use the app two or three times during a 16 night cruise in July, 2022. That was just before they discontinued it. I liked the app and was happy being able to lag the group and still hear the guide. 

The tech was a little glitchy and I had to back out and restart every so often. I’m fairly tech savvy so it wasn’t a problem for me. Some others in the group were more challenged so the guide needed to be part tour guide and part tech support. I suspect that helped lead to discontinuing the program. 

Most of the River cruise lines have a hardware, rather than app, solution for hearing tour guides and it works very well.

We’ve had apps on other lines and I find it much carrying the Daily Bugle or whatever the daily program is called. So I take a picture of it and use that as a self-made app. I also get pictures of the all-aboard time and port agent address and phone number. 

• Like 2

If I recall they had something online on silverseas not sure it was an ap but it was nice to see what is on the dinner menus without having to go to the room or what activities are going on if you forgot the hard copy.  Not as a substitute but as a supplement it is nice.  Comes in handy on the excursion bus ride back especially if the guide is getting boring.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, labonnevie said:

Please no!

Not now, not ever!

I am not technology adverse at all, but everyone walking around the ship looking at their phones would really take away from the friendly, “I’m having a great time”, atmosphere on board.

We just got off a Regent cruise and I was surprised the number of times I wished there was an app (or website) where I could access the daily schedule. Passages is fine — but it's sitting in my suite. If I'm at lunch with traveling companions and we're discussing if there is tea, or trivia, or who is playing in what lounge before dinner, or what time the show is, etc., being able to check online would be helpful. Or if I'm in a lounge reading, and want to know what the upcoming lecture is. Or being able to look over the dinner menus at lunch or tea or cocktails with traveling companions to decide where to have dinner. Yes, I can take pictures of Passages and look at those images on my phone, but it would be easier to access the schedule and menus on an app or website. This doesn't need to replace anything; it would just add to places to find information. And no, it wouldn't mean everyone would be looking at their phones all the time; it would be a quick lookup reference source which wouldn't change the atmosphere onboard. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Well I suppose the person to ask this question of is @Mike Moore  is Regent considering an app (as an addition not an instead of Passages) 😁

Yes, an app is currently in development, and will not replace Passages. More info to come soon!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

If I recall they had something online on silverseas not sure it was an ap but it was nice to see what is on the dinner menus without having to go to the room or what activities are going on if you forgot the hard copy.  Not as a substitute but as a supplement it is nice.  Comes in handy on the excursion bus ride back especially if the guide is getting boring.

If I recall correctly, and that is always subject to question, the Seabourn app did not work off the ship. 

21 hours ago, cruiseej said:

This doesn't need to replace anything; it would just add to places to find information. 

You make good points.
My reference point is Seabourn, a year ago.

They did try to replace paper with the app. It was not working well. 

This has been very interesting to read everyone’s answers to my original question regarding a regent app

My reason for asking was for boarding and  check in than for onboard experience. I have gotten used to using my phone for check-in

On 9/8/2023 at 9:14 PM, labonnevie said:

My reference point is Seabourn, a year ago.

They did try to replace paper with the app. It was not working well. 

On a Seabourn cruise this spring, it was the best of both worlds. The printed Herald was back, and the app made it easy to check the schedule or upcoming bookings (excursions, dinner) at any time. Our previous Seabourn cruise had no print edition, and I agree that was not good. 

• Like 1

I think it's great to have an app as an additional option- like Mike said, not replacing anything, but just more info in more places.

Like many on this thread, I come on a cruise to get as far away from my phone and technology as possible. 

We took our school-aged kids on a Royal Caribbean cruise (seemed like a good idea at the time...) in January. I was really disappointed that in most (all?) bars you could not get a printed menu to order a drink- QR code only. I don't carry my phone around the ship and don't want to do so.  Also, if I'm at the pool, where am I even supposed to put the thing?  Insanity. I would never sail them again anyway because we did not find it to be a great experience but honestly the "phones for everything" situation was just awful.

• Like 3