OMG The prices to now cruise on Royal Caribbean

13 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Not just cruise lines.  I checked the current cost of a flight to Seattle versus what I booked in early August and the airfare increased 80% for the exact same flight and seat class.

And now the price of diesel fuel is starting to climb back up again...😡

All gasoline not just diesel will be climbing. Oil touched over $91 a barrel during the night, but backed off this morning to $89. 

I went to the store and spent $60 for a few bags I could easily carry in one hand. 

I see folks over on carnival boards sounding the same as here. Folks doing rcl for the first time who were loyal to carnival, coming over here. Trying ncl and msc for the first time. The prices got everyone looking for cheaper deals.

Uaw strike for the impossible. If they give them what they want the big 3 go bankrupt. They want profit sharing and free or discounted stock is a big sticking pt. Paid the same for 32 hours of work, not 40. Even wages mid 30% up on a 4 day workweek cant be done. Ford is losing 60k per ev car they sell right now.  UAW says ceo has to take a pay cut and pretends that's going to pay for their demands. Wait until you want to buy a new car. 

Imo complaining is fun here and we all feel the bite, but unless demand drops prices are here to stay. Better still if someone sees a good deal post it. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, Garyjames220 said:

Hey 

so I was looking up prices to sail on royal for me, my wife and three year old twin girls. 

We have been quite enjoying sailing with Disney cruise Line recently but I thought of trying to add in a royal cruise next year, thinking it could be like half the price, a wee extra trip. I haven’t looked at royals prices for mybe about a year but WOW the prices have rocketed 

I was looking and all months for the wonder next year and even with kids sailing for £99 it’s still really costly. I have looked up all different months and I’m very flexible. I always thought Disney were about double the price of royal. Now there is barley anything in it. In fact I normally get the three night dining package as don’t want to eat in the same restaurant each night and I would need a soda package as Disney normally has that in it. If I take that into it I would say some of there cruises are working out more expensive

even a 2 night cruise from Southampton next year is like £2000 pounds, not that I would do one that short  

I know prices have went up with all companies but WOW I was really shocked with how much by

Is anyone else experiencing this or am I missing something?

The days of getting a good deal on royal seem to have gone 🙁

Disney does not have a ship equal to Wonder. Compare apples to apples: ship size, # of passenger cabins, # of days cruising, etc. 

Then find a good TA offering group rates. The savings will amaze.

• Like 1

Nearly all companies focus on the shareholders and profits, the only reason they focus on the customer is to ensure they are happy but still keeping to their promise to shareholders. 

RCL borrowed a massive amount of money to keep afloat, they are trying to drive that down through jacking the prices of everything up. 

• Cruise fairs up way beyond wage / price inflation
  • Port excursions aren’t great but are costing almost 40% more than rival firms from a quick comparison. 
  • We just did an RCL cruise and even a port bus is double what we used to pay not a little up but a massive jump. 
  • RCL even say in their board report even though prices are high they are still getting large take up of these extras.

They will increase and increase until people start to say no and only then rethink a little. Our cruise booked a month ago is now showing at double our booking price, that’s just crazy. Until the noose of debt is removed from their neck, prices aren’t going to go anywhere. 

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

All gasoline not just diesel will be climbing. Oil touched over $91 a barrel during the night, but backed off this morning to $89. 

I went to the store and spent $60 for a few bags I could easily carry in one hand. 

I see folks over on carnival boards sounding the same as here. Folks doing rcl for the first time who were loyal to carnival, coming over here. Trying ncl and msc for the first time. The prices got everyone looking for cheaper deals.

Uaw strike for the impossible. If they give them what they want the big 3 go bankrupt. They want profit sharing and free or discounted stock is a big sticking pt. Paid the same for 32 hours of work, not 40. Even wages mid 30% up on a 4 day workweek cant be done. Ford is losing 60k per ev car they sell right now.  UAW says ceo has to take a pay cut and pretends that's going to pay for their demands. Wait until you want to buy a new car. 

Imo complaining is fun here and we all feel the bite, but unless demand drops prices are here to stay. Better still if someone sees a good deal post it. 

They can’t give them everything but if they continue to play hardball, they might end up in bankruptcy anyway. This has been brewing for a long time and I’m sure a majority of the union membership has been salting money away, for a long time, just for this. I don’t know what these isolated strikes will cost the automakers, but an article I read said that if the entire 143,000 union membership struck for ten days, it would take a $5.6 billion bite out of the industry.

I give the UAW workers all the credit in the world, they found that just complaining didn’t work, so they’re hitting them where it hurts the worst, the wallet. Don’t worry, the government will bail them out again like they did in the past. That’s what they do for big companies based in the U.S. who pay taxes and abide by all regulations.

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

They can’t give them everything but if they continue to play hardball, they might end up in bankruptcy anyway. This has been brewing for a long time and I’m sure a majority of the union membership has been salting money away, for a long time, just for this. I don’t know what these isolated strikes will cost the automakers, but an article I read said that if the entire 143,000 union membership struck for ten days, it would take a $5.6 billion bite out of the industry.

I give the UAW workers all the credit in the world, they found that just complaining didn’t work, so they’re hitting them where it hurts the worst, the wallet. Don’t worry, the government will bail them out again like they did in the past. That’s what they do for big companies based in the U.S. who pay taxes and abide by all regulations.

Ford just said they will lay off 2k in a stamping plant next week. No need to stamp. GM also saying there will be ripple effects. While I'm good with asking for a raise, I dont like how unions are going about it. I do see a poll 75% of Americans support the uaw. I believe if they gave them what they asked for, as they are saying these demands would bankrupt them.

The problem is yes during covid cars went over sticker price. Lots of profit but that profit has shrunk now. Let's hope they find a way soon to meet in the middle without bankrupting the big 3. And yes I remember the bail outs and wasnt for that either. Lots will lose their jobs. Not that the union cares, the public right now is leaning too much into all in for workers. I do see their point as ups and pilots got 40% so they want 40% too for 32 hours work. Going to help Tesla and Nissan and foreign car makers. Jobs will start moving again to other countries. Cars unlike delivery men at ups can be made elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Ford just said they will lay off 2k in a stamping plant next week. No need to stamp. GM also saying there will be ripple effects. While I'm good with asking for a raise, I dont like how unions are going about it. I do see a poll 75% of Americans support the uaw. I believe if they gave them what they asked for, as they are saying these demands would bankrupt them.

The problem is yes during covid cars went over sticker price. Lots of profit but that profit has shrunk now. Let's hope they find a way soon to meet in the middle without bankrupting the big 3. And yes I remember the bail outs and wasnt for that either. Lots will lose their jobs. Not that the union cares, the public right now is leaning too much into all in for workers. I do see their point as ups and pilots got 40% so they want 40% too for 32 hours work. Going to help Tesla and Nissan and foreign car makers. Jobs will start moving again to other countries. Cars unlike delivery men at ups can be made elsewhere. 

I think the union is more than willing to keep negotiate with them. It shows because they are only striking at three plants. If it doesn’t show any progress a few more plants will have pickets.

If it was me, it would be a complete shutdown, they’ve been dragging their feet long enough. 

I agree they are asking too much, all they are doing is asking to share in the profits when there is some.

Cars can be made anywhere IF they have the facilities, trained workforce, and established supply chain available. Where exactly would this be?

As far as the union caring, it is and has always been take care of yourself first.

16 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I think the union is more than willing to keep negotiate with them. It shows because they are only striking at three plants. If it doesn’t show any progress a few more plants will have pickets.

If it was me, it would be a complete shutdown, they’ve been dragging their feet long enough. 

I agree they are asking too much, all they are doing is asking to share in the profits when there is some.

Cars can be made anywhere IF they have the facilities, trained workforce, and established supply chain available. Where exactly would this be?

As far as the union caring, it is and has always been take care of yourself first.

If they share in the profits when there are some, are they willing to share in losses when there are some? That's the difference between a business owner/stock holder and an employee. They are provided employment but have nothing invested. 

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 2:59 PM, firefly333 said:

I'm paying half the published price on wonder. Group prices. Have you asked a TA for a group price.

Maybe the issue is with last years double pts too many people reached diamond and higher and have more discounts and freebies like drinks. Comparing published rcl prices is a false comparison imo. No one I know is dumb enough to pay published prices. I pushed last year to solo discount which is 25% off. Without double pts I wouldnt be there. That 25% for me is huge. 

For me ncl costs more not less than rcl. My wallet is who decides. Rcl is cheaper for me 9 out of 10.

Many people aren’t aware that travel agents have discounted group rates. What did you do before you started using a TA?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Many people aren’t aware that travel agents have discounted group rates. What did you do before you started using a TA?

Over 50 cruises and have used a TA since our 2nd cruise. Have changed a few times... one who has group rates beats some OBC or free specialty dining hands down. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I get a lot of financial news and not sure which one said they are selectively picketing to stretch the unions money so it lasts longer to pay those picketing. They were quoting the uaw. They dont want to run out of union money saved up. 

Union members were dying to picket here. A reporter here was in Arlington and they asked him last night to stand outside because feeling were going to run high when the announcement came who would picket. The workers were wanting to picket here near dallas but didn't get picked. 

I'm still hearing they are very far apart. Biden is sending in some negotiator and the uaw guy said he might decide to not meet with him tomorrow. I got a fairly new car so just watching. I watch financial stuff though boarding allure .. I miss stock market news. CNBC used to be on royal tv. I like to know what's being said. 

7 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Booked cruises for $100 a day.  Before covid price wasnt a big issue. Now it is. 

I have used some TAs in the past though, just never had one that was good. But this isnt my first TA. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Booked cruises for $100 a day.  Before covid price wasnt a big issue. Now it is. 

I have used some TAs in the past though, just never had one that was good. But this isnt my first TA. 

But what did you do before using a TA or did you use one from day one? Just saying.

35 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

But what did you do before using a TA or did you use one from day one? Just saying.

35 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What is the F&F fliers?

Friends and family flier. Need a ta to book I think biker said.

I started with princess. A diet group than found out the group charged me double what I could book myself. Grand princess was going out of texas. Ncl was in and out. Carnival and royal c

Stayed. I wasnt loyal to royal until I found out during covid they gave a solo discount. Tbh I was inviting random friends along after my sister got married. Didnt know I was missing out on extra pts on royal.

As far as a TA only needed for rcl. Or celebrity.  Not for carnival brands for last minute cruises. But I have been in and out with TAs. Solo and royal are recent for me.

On 9/6/2023 at 2:51 PM, ReneeFLL said:

I’ve noticed plenty of others have posted they are now looking at other lines also. I know we are. Prices and grats going up is one thing, but when food and service continues to go down that’s another.

If the $1400.00 is for 2 people for a balcony I think that’s a fairly good deal. If it’s per person then not so much.

There is NO such thing as a 10 day cruise for $700 per person for a verandah cabin unless you win the lottery.  It is understood to be pp if you have been looking at the ridiculous premium in going from OV to V....often double or more.

16 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

There is NO such thing as a 10 day cruise for $700 per person for a verandah cabin unless you win the lottery.  It is understood to be pp if you have been looking at the ridiculous premium in going from OV to V....often double or more.

I think like renee we both cruise solo and quotes from TA are total not pp. 

I'm cruising the next 2 weeks on a balcony at under $700 total per week including fees and taxes. I said no more cruises in sept, it's too hot, but couldnt resist these prices. Allure b2b starting sunday. Yes only 7 days each week, not 10. But still was under $100 a day, total. When people say a price and dont say pp I agree confusing. Personally if I say a rate it's total $$$. Dont be mad we asked for clarification. Not everyone is a couple. 

Well leaving in the morning for Galveston so you all will be rid of me for a while. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I get a lot of financial news and not sure which one said they are selectively picketing to stretch the unions money so it lasts longer to pay those picketing. They were quoting the uaw. They dont want to run out of union money saved up. 

Union members were dying to picket here. A reporter here was in Arlington and they asked him last night to stand outside because feeling were going to run high when the announcement came who would picket. The workers were wanting to picket here near dallas but didn't get picked. 

I'm still hearing they are very far apart. Biden is sending in some negotiator and the uaw guy said he might decide to not meet with him tomorrow. I got a fairly new car so just watching. I watch financial stuff though boarding allure .. I miss stock market news. CNBC used to be on royal tv. I like to know what's being said. 

The longer this is drawn out, the more money the union will payout. It also allows the car companies to bring money to exist longer. Go Big Or Go Home, Shut the whole operation down, you’ll get their attention a lot quicker and it’ll show you mean business. Even if the event the whole industry shuts down they’ll be layoffs. With nothing running, how many from the executive branch will be out of work? FYI, in 2022 the executives were paid $71,000,000 in salary, stock options, etc.

When I was working I was a salaried employee with no union ties. I just think the UAW has been jerked around long enough.

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

The longer this is drawn out, the more money the union will payout. It also allows the car companies to bring money to exist longer. Go Big Or Go Home, Shut the whole operation down, you’ll get their attention a lot quicker and it’ll show you mean business. Even if the event the whole industry shuts down they’ll be layoffs. With nothing running, how many from the executive branch will be out of work? FYI, in 2022 the executives were paid $71,000,000 in salary, stock options, etc.

When I was working I was a salaried employee with no union ties. I just think the UAW has been jerked around long enough.

While I get what YOU want, that's not what the uaw is saying. Google it yourself, I'm leaving on a cruise.

Here is one among many I found to try and find what is being said. They want to save their union funds for a protracted strike.

"Industry observers say striking selected plants, rather than all of them at once, also helps the UAW preserve its $825 million strike fund. The UAW will pay striking workers $500 a week, with those payments becoming available on the eighth day of a walkout."

another 

"Meanwhile, other chapters that have not been called for strike will continue to work. This allows the UAW to keep its $825 million “strike fund” running for as long as possible while the union pursues its strategy of selectively striking all three automakers. “We will hit where we need to hit,” said UAW President Shawn Fenn."

https://biz.crast.net/uaw-attacks-3-major-automakers-targets-select-factories/