Seriously now-how many of you are REALLY looking at other cruise lines because of the CEO's changes going on?

Linda W.

I have 4 cruises booked on Ascent in suites. When I board, I always know what future cruise I will be booking. I have spent the last several weeks looking at MSC YC, and several other premium lines (not silver seas). If Celebrity is looking for ways to push customers away they have certainly discovered the secret sauce.    I realize Celebrity and RCG is a business and like other hospitality businesses was saddled with debt during the pandemic. The solution is NOT to raise prices and reduce value.  The solution IS to keep your loyal customer, increase prices and show them your value.  CFO’s have no business running a company, they don’t understand customers, customer behavior and that it is MORE expensive to attract new customers than it is to retain your current customers.  I loved you Celebrity up until now but it appears to be time to move on after these cruises UNLESS you wake up and respect that customer want value for their money.  

• Like 10

Have taken over 165 Celebrity cruises over the last 30 years.Double Zenith. Kids are triple Zenith with over 200 Celebrity cruises each.

Have about a dozen Celebrity future cruises booked. Will not book anymore for about a year to see what the future changes are. If they reduce the Zenith benefits I will cancel all future bookings !!!

Was onboard the Equinox last week. Other than the Zenith lunch on the last day, I was not impressed.

MDR food has dropped significantly (best entree the entire cruise was flank steak).

Early seating started at 5:30, had guests strolling in even at 7:00 !!!

Will stop cruising if conditions worsen. Seems like the Presidents goal is to drive the line out of business !!!

• Like 7

We're Elite and just off the Edge this past weekend, for another enjoyable cruise.  I'll still cruise with X when the pricing is right, as it was this time.  But I don't expect that to be very often if things continue the way they've gone.  Looking at MSC YC for Feb Caribbean cruise, and either SS or RSSC in Dec '24--both of which are actually cheaper than X....which just makes NO sense.  To me X has lost its way, but if they can make money doing so, it'll continue. As long as they attract new cruises to replace the prior loyal generation, then they'll chug along.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Options are open but Celebrity is still my preferred choice. If the price, value and itinerary meet our needs we’ll continue to book cruises. I’ve yet to find the diamond in the rough. Celebrity stil fits a specific “want” for us that really isn’t duplicated. 

We’re on Equinox in Jan 2024 and Beyond in 2025 and it’s between Celebrity and Princess for Sept 2025 Alaska cruise

Value (Price, Customer service, Itinerary, Ship, duration) are what dictate who we sail with.

Edited by Cruise till you drop

We have one more cruise booked with Celebrity (happily not SS, but upgraded to CS) this December repo on Eclipse. That’s it. We have deposits on Oceania and Regent until May 2025. Makes me sad as we are elite+ and always have loved our cruises. I will keep looking at itineraries and pricing, but have moved on in my heart. As @Jim_Iain has said, loyalty is a two way street.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Have taken over 165 Celebrity cruises over the last 30 years.Double Zenith. Kids are triple Zenith with over 200 Celebrity cruises each.

Have about a dozen Celebrity future cruises booked. Will not book anymore for about a year to see what the future changes are. If they reduce the Zenith benefits I will cancel all future bookings !!!

Was onboard the Equinox last week. Other than the Zenith lunch on the last day, I was not impressed.

MDR food has dropped significantly (best entree the entire cruise was flank steak).

Early seating started at 5:30, had guests strolling in even at 7:00 !!!

Will stop cruising if conditions worsen. Seems like the Presidents goal is to drive the line out of business !!!

Holy smokes. Given your history on Celebrity, this speaks volumes.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I have no issue with the Plus and Premium plans now offered by Princess.  Frankly they are one of the reasons we have booked our next cruise with them.  

I don't care if they are charging for pizza, there are still areas on Princess ships you can get pizza at no charge.

If you order room service from the door card there is no charge for breakfast.  We don't order room service at all, unless we book the "Ultimate Balcony Dinner"  which is FAR better than pretty much anything X has to offer.

Yes, they are making changes, but they just don't seem as cavalier as X, who it appears just don't give a damm about their long time customers.  We've cruised Princess several times and always enjoyed it and expect that to continue.  Entertainment is better, itineraries are light years better, frankly their Penthouse suites are wonderful in comparison to the CS and especially the SS on Celebrity at MUCH less cost.  We look forward to our cruise on the Sky in 2024.

What is the Princess equivalent to a Sky Suite?  Thank you.

Just now, Cruise till you drop said:

I would have to agree with that.

I think this thread is all about “the grass looking greener on the other side”

Let me fill you in on something.  It’s not

You’re saying Azamara, Oceania, Regent aren’t better than Celebrity?  That’s where a lot of people seem to be moving to. And while Princess & HAL might not be “greener” they’re cheaper.   So why pay Celebrity prices for Princess product?  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We already have our 2025 line up and not one is on Celebrity.  Sad as I am, it is what it is...

There's no reason to be sad about future cruises. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I have no issue with the Plus and Premium plans now offered by Princess.  Frankly they are one of the reasons we have booked our next cruise with them. 

Consider that the person you replied to might have an agenda.

• Like 5

Time will tell.    We are taking our first non-Celebrity cruise in 22 years next week.   On top of that we booked a Cunard TA to replace a cancelled Celebrity RS Booking for South America at about 1/3 of the cost (not apples to apples as we booked a Queens Grill Suite which probably is equivalent to a CS).

We still have 5 cruises booked through 2024 on Celebrity but most of our research is now directed to alternatives.  

At first I thought they were doing everything possible to drive us away but now realize how they have created an avalanche of those looking elsewhere.

From a marking standpoint,   I find it hard to understand how they believe that alienating their most loyal cruisers to the point of trying their competition will help them.   Now that we feel compelled to go elsewhere they will never have us back as a dedicated customer.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What is the Princess equivalent to a Sky Suite?  Thank you.

Princess has mini-suites, booking that category as a "Reserve Collection Mini Suite"  would be as close as you get to a Sky Suite.  Reserve Collection gets you the special dining area for suites on Princess. Booking it with the Plus package gets you pretty much all the perks you get with a Sky suite, except a butler, but then you don't have that anymore on X either.

We prefer the aft  Penthouse Suites on Princess which is a wonderful suite with a balcony that is larger than any on an X ship, outside of the Penthouse on the M Class ships.  Bathroom with 2 entrances, separate shower and bath, bedroom, living room, with an INCLUDED mini bar.....

22 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I would have to agree with that.

I think this thread is all about “the grass looking greener on the other side”

Let me fill you in on something.  It’s not

Disagree...but then that's why we all have choices.  

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We still have 5 cruises booked through 2024 on Celebrity but most of our research is now directed to alternatives.  

At first I thought they were doing everything possible to drive us away but now realize how they have created an avalanche of those looking elsewhere.

It's one thing for X to be ok with losing loyal customers, but Jim and Iain? You have practically been brand ambassadors for Celebrity on CC. Selfishly, I look forward to your experiences on other cruise lines. Bon Voyage.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I find it hard to understand how they believe that alienating their most loyal cruisers to the point of trying their competition will help them.

Maybe they ran numbers and decided the cost of Captains Club benefits is too much unreimbursed expense. Let other lines who match status foot the bill of rewarding you and fellow Zeniths for your X loyalty.

We moved to a golf course community and joined 3 years ago (annual fee only). A new owner has decided to drive members out because he thinks the members are getting too good a deal. Our mens' and womens' groups make up about 70 to 80% of the play and he thinks we will pay daily rates and keep playing as much (WRONG!). Just like Celebrity, he has decided to reduce expenses to try to max profit, and after raising rates this year has now cut out amenities and reduced access to what could be a great restaurant and 19th hole. Most of his staff has quit, but his newly appointed course director is destroying it full speed ahead.

When this started happening here last year, we thought cruising would be a nice escape. Now, not so much. "Look, honey, less for a higher price. Just like home!"

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

You’re saying Azamara, Oceania, Regent aren’t better than Celebrity?  That’s where a lot of people seem to be moving to. And while Princess & HAL might not be “greener” they’re cheaper.   So why pay Celebrity prices for Princess product?  

I think you’re proving my point 

These lines (Azamara, Oceania, Regent) aren’t the same and people aren’t moving on because they’re dissatisfied with Celebrity, they’re moving on to move up to a different class.

As for Princess being cheaper, I also believe this to be true but I haven’t seen many posts about people moving to Princess as they have their share of issues as well (back to the grass is greener comment)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Maybe they ran numbers and decided the cost of Captains Club benefits is too much unreimbursed expense. Let other lines who match status foot the bill of rewarding you and fellow Zeniths for your X loyalty.

We moved to a golf course community and joined 3 years ago (annual fee only). A new owner has decided to drive members out because he thinks the members are getting too good a deal. Our mens' and womens' groups make up about 70 to 80% of the play and he thinks we will pay daily rates and keep playing as much. Just like Celebrity, he has decided to reduce expenses to try to max profit, and after raising rates this year has now cut out amenities and reduced access to what could be a great restaurant and 19th hole. Most of his staff has quit, but his newly appointed course director is destroying it full speed ahead.

When this started happening here last year, we thought cruising would be a nice escape. Now, not so much. "Look, honey, less for a higher price. Just like home!"

It's probably nothing more than strong bookings and stock prices.  They can change their rates in seconds.  All the large cruise lines have occupancy based dynamic pricing which can progressively lower the prices as the sail date nears and they can go to "fire sales" rates close to the sail date if there are lots of vacant rooms.  The Mexican Riv and Puerto Rico embarkation cruises typically have difficulty filling their sailings and so they often resort to fire sales

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise till you drop said:

These lines (Azamara, Oceania, Regent) aren’t the same and people aren’t moving on because they’re dissatisfied with Celebrity, they’re moving on to move up to a different class.

You left out "for the same price or cheaper than Celebrity Retreat." As one who is doing this, I AM dissatisfied with Celebrity AND moving up to a different class AND spending the same or less money for a better experience.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I think you’re proving my point 

As for Princess being cheaper, I also believe this to be true but I haven’t seen many posts about people moving to Princess as they have their share of issues as well (back to the grass is greener comment)

I think we’re not reading the same thread. People are moving to Azamara, Oceania et al to get what they once got on Celebrity.  

• Like 11

We have a Suite NRD on X.  We are changing it to a 3-day itinerary so just not to lose money and will do so before 4 Oct. At the same time we are booking on Viking Ocean. We are Elite +, which clearly means nothing to the new leadership.  It has done the math and realized there are savings to be had with eliminating loyalists who get perks.  No hard feelings, we are happy to spend our money elsewhere.  

2 hours ago, MACruisers said:

I have 4 cruises booked on Ascent in suites. When I board, I always know what future cruise I will be booking. I have spent the last several weeks looking at MSC YC, and several other premium lines (not silver seas). If Celebrity is looking for ways to push customers away they have certainly discovered the secret sauce.    I realize Celebrity and RCG is a business and like other hospitality businesses was saddled with debt during the pandemic. The solution is NOT to raise prices and reduce value.  The solution IS to keep your loyal customer, increase prices and show them your value.  CFO’s have no business running a company, they don’t understand customers, customer behavior and that it is MORE expensive to attract new customers than it is to retain your current customers.  I loved you Celebrity up until now but it appears to be time to move on after these cruises UNLESS you wake up and respect that customer want value for their money.  

"CFO’s have no business running a company, they don’t understand customers, customer behavior and that it is MORE expensive to attract new customers than it is to retain your current customers". Could not agree more!

• Like 5