what to do in Halifax???

layteacher

Leaving in 12 days on a cruise. I have all ports planned except Halifax. Any ideas on what to do ? We will be there from 1-8 pm. Just my husband and I will be there. Not a huge history fan but like shopping in unique places and eating of course. 
All suggestions appreciated. 

We were in Halifax yesterday. While it was very foggy at sea, we ended up with a lovely warm sunny day ashore.

We walked inland from the port as far as the Public Gardens (very colourful & well maintained) and the Citadel. Not keen on museums and the like, but as we had not gone into the citadel in Quebec, we decided to do the one in Halifax. Saw the changing of the guard. They were having trouble with the cannons.

The shopping centres we passed were all closed, as it was Sunday. Ended up on the waterfront for the walk back to the ship. It was very busy there. Heaps of eating and drinking places - none of which we tried, as we have been eating more than enough onboard the ship!

• Like 2

The Public Gardens are beautiful, so you might want to start there if it’s a good weather day. They are a steep uphill climb from the waterfront, so you should consider a cab to save time.  You could visit the Citadel afterwards. Either way, walk back down to and then along the waterfront, eating and shopping.

On the food end, and as mentioned in a comment above, don’t miss BeaverTails — incredibly delicious pastries. They have a stand in a sort of food court area midway along the waterfront.  I also like poutine — you might not, but give it a try somewhere on your trip. 😊

We love Halifax, I hope you enjoy your day there. 

• Like 1

You can easily spend an afternoon walking the waterfront patio hopping! Try Bar Sabbia for an Aperol Spritz tower - they're located outside of the Bicycle Thief (highly recommend this restaurant if you don't want seafood). Then go to The BG (beer garden) for the best local (yet slightly overpriced based on views) brews. End your day at the Stone's Throw for their happy hour from 4-6pm. You will have walked the whole waterfront from end to end. 

If you don't want to patio hop, downtown is walkable from the pier. The Citadel is popular (although I personally find it kind of boring) or do some shopping on Spring Garden. There are also so many amazing restaurants on Argyle St, like Antojo (tacos & margs) and Durty Nelly's (Irish pub), and Lot Six (mussels and cocktails!)

• Like 1

I can highly recommend Tay Mac Tours: we took their Historic Halifax walking tour which was very reasonably priced and included the sights the posters above have mentioned.

https://www.taymactours.com/historic-halifax-by-foot 

We stepped off our cruise ship and immediately located our meeting point and our guide, Glenn.  We had a small group of only 6 and began our leisurely stroll through town.  Glenn provided lots of great historical information but at a pace that wasn't overwhelming.  The route to and from the Citadel (entrance is not included in this tour) was good and probably not one we would have selected just looking at the map.   After the tour we had a nice seafood lunch at McKelvie's, some great ice cream at Cow's along the boardwalk, and enjoyed beers at Garrison's which is within sight of the cruise pier.  Yum!  Loved our visit and hope to return to Halifax one day. 

As a Halifax local, I can suggest something that I almost never see mentioned, and that is Point Pleasant Park. Especially if you're looking for a place to go for a walk or run. It is a well-maintained area where many locals enjoy. I'll add a couple screenshots and a link to the municipal website for more information. 

Cheers!

https://www.halifax.ca/parks-recreation/parks-trails-gardens/parks-outdoor-spaces/point-pleasant-park

Screenshot_20230926_101236_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f64779403fa2a0fe073a6d32320ca695.jpgScreenshot_20230926_101311_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2fda831606d4dfbd01f1a21a64730cfd.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

We vacationed in Halifax in July and the Bicycle Thief restaurant on the water was a highlight. We all had delicious meals, and a great view. If you like craft beer, within walking distance is Garrison Brewing. The beer was awesome. 

EDIT: Didn't realize how old this post was! Leaving my comment in case someone else is looking for ideas. 😃

Edited by amyj23
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, amyj23 said:

We vacationed in Halifax in July and the Bicycle Thief restaurant on the water was a highlight. We all had delicious meals, and a great view. If you like craft beer, within walking distance is Garrison Brewing. The beer was awesome. 

You're a wee bit late to this party.... the OP's trip was about three months ago.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You're a wee bit late to this party.... the OP's trip was about three months ago.

I know. I saw that within a few minutes and edited my post.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 2:18 PM, eastcoastbeardo said:

As a Halifax local, I can suggest something that I almost never see mentioned, and that is Point Pleasant Park. Especially if you're looking for a place to go for a walk or run. It is a well-maintained area where many locals enjoy. I'll add a couple screenshots and a link to the municipal website for more information. 

Cheers!

https://www.halifax.ca/parks-recreation/parks-trails-gardens/parks-outdoor-spaces/point-pleasant-park

Screenshot_20230926_101236_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f64779403fa2a0fe073a6d32320ca695.jpgScreenshot_20230926_101311_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2fda831606d4dfbd01f1a21a64730cfd.jpg

We are in Halifax next year on 30th September. I know that the timing of the autumn colours vary but on average what will they be like at that time?

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

True, but the info could be helpful to someone else.

Definitely. I'm not OP but subscribed to this thread for suggestions. We cruise to Halifax in June. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2024 at 12:15 PM, Splice the mainbrace said:

We are in Halifax next year on 30th September. I know that the timing of the autumn colours vary but on average what will they be like at that time?

You may start to see a little but they really come full force in mid-October!