Infinity balcony on Beyond

saphir

35 minutes ago, saphir said:

If the separator doors are closed, if the AC will work?

Yes, the a/c will work if the doors are closed.  The a/c will go off when the windows are open.  We enjoyed the extra space of the room even though we were apprehensive initially.  We booked the same class again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The doors have no effect on the A/C

Exactly. They are only for cosmetic effect to create a pretend balcony area. On Royal's new Icon of the Seas IV balcony cabins are part of the cabin styles but don't have the bifold screens, instead just curtains. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Exactly. They are only for cosmetic effect to create a pretend balcony area. On Royal's new Icon of the Seas IV balcony cabins are part of the cabin styles but don't have the bifold screens, instead just curtains. 

Will check that out as my major problem with IV is the up and down direction of the mechanical blind and the noise it makes, especially if wanting to see outside in middle of night and DW is sleeping.

That's what bothers me most.  Open the window and the cabin becomes suffocating.

I'll be on Celebrity Beyond next year, and I'm thinking of canceling so I can have a regular balcony.  We spend a lot of time on the balcony, morning, PM, and in the evening on the way back.

There are a few true balconies on the E class ships. Some are all the way in the rear, the sunset veranda’s, and there are also what they call porthole verandahs which are really very large windows, not small portholes and there are suites with real balconies, too.

this is a porthole verandah..  it has sliding glass doors and black out curtains, and you can go sit outside on the veranda without it, affecting the air conditioning in the stateroom

E53ABEC2-74DB-4A66-985E-027316C4BDE7.jpeg

5902FCBD-2EDC-4484-901B-124447E24321.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saphir said:

That's what bothers me most.  Open the window and the cabin becomes suffocating.

I'll be on Celebrity Beyond next year, and I'm thinking of canceling so I can have a regular balcony.  We spend a lot of time on the balcony, morning, PM, and in the evening on the way back.

In my opinion IV's are perfect for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but never (rarely) use it.

The low backed chairs make it useless for passengers who want to stretch out and relax in the open air - no one has yet posted pictures of 2 passengers relaxing on an IV balcony.

Table too small to hold a decent size meal - we regularly enjoy lunch on the balcony.

Open the window and the air con goes off.

As you can only open the window if the blind is also down it makes it impossible for one passenger to enjoy the "balcony" whilst another is enjoying the dark - for example early risers can't "pop out" while their companion sleeps.

The Captain can shut the window at anytime without warning - various reports of this happening on port days.

I am not knocking IV's just detailing the differences/limitations of the design.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keesar said:

Yes, the a/c will work if the doors are closed.  The a/c will go off when the windows are open.  We enjoyed the extra space of the room even though we were apprehensive initially.  We booked the same class again.

We also worked well with it..It  added  space to the long narrow cabin, esp with the low to ground most uncomfy couch which we used to stack  other items 

A balc not that important and we only opened the  window to take  a few pics..or while sailing into ports.. 

we had no issues with A/C..we kept bi folds open and windiw closed most of the time

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

In my opinion IV's are perfect for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but never (rarely) use it.

IMO, then a DPV would be a better choice. A balcony stateroom for less money than a IV stateroom. 

5 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

How about we just answer the OP’s question instead of an IV haters page 

This question has been answered before in several threads.  NO - the a/c will not work if the window is open.  The separators are not doors - they are folding dividers. 

And to another's questions, the lowering of the window is not quiet - they squeal as one would expect after being subject to salt air, similar to real balcony doors.

Also, just FYI - The window can / will be locked by the bridge if raining or when rooms are being washed.

12 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Neither is it infinite.

I think it's rather ironic that even though MSC doesn't call these types of cabins on their Europa ship a veranda/balcony as Celebrity/Royal does they still use the adjective Infinite.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/category-detail.php?c=3232

Edited by kwokpot

We love the IV. Makes the SR much larger and more useful…..for us. I dont sunbathe on outside balconies (and nowhere else really!) so find the design just fine. And no, it doesnt become suffocating with the window down. Been on 5 Edge-Class cruises and booked 3 more. 

Each Class has its positives….and negatives. 

Den

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I think it's rather ironic that even though MSC doesn't call these types of cabins on their Europa ship a veranda/balcony as Celebrity/Royal does they still use the adjective Infinite.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/category-detail.php?c=3232

If X used MSC's more accurate wording of "infinite ocean view" it would have a marketing nightmare as it would be forced to admit that E class had very few  balconies compared to S class which has 85%.